Matt's Beemer

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

TheRookie

Matt's Beemer

Post by TheRookie »

Well, I really didn't get much time in the second half of the year to work on the car. However, I think I fixed the boost problems (cracked vac lines and intake connector) and electrical drain problem (self-leveling pump).

I'm looking forward to popping it's cherry out at Thompson's next spring. Here's some basic pics.

[/img]
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Sure a lot of plumbing. It'll be great to see it run. Sweet ride!
TheRookie

Post by TheRookie »

Well, it isn't a sweet 'ride' if it isn't ridden i.e. I gotta get that thing outta the barn and on the road.

Some background info on this car for those who don't know. This was BMW's answer to the V12 Mercedes back in the earaly 80's. Never sold in the US, but quite a few got imported. It's a 3.5L with a turbo used by Porsche making it 'equivalent' to a 4.5L, hence the 745i badge. The last production turbo car from BMW, I believe.

Stock it's 250HP, 6PSI, 2.93 rear-end. That gearing was for the Autobahn so it could reach 150MPH. Currently, it's running around 10-12PSI. It has all sorts of amazing gizmos on it, especially for 1984, but that doesn't count on this forum ;)

Next steps are getting it up to 12-15 PSI and getting a 3.46 or 3.64 rear end out of a M5 from that era.
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Why wait till spring? Tomorrow (11-19) is supposed to be 50 degrees and no rain. I'm planning on heading to Dragway 42.

Glad to see you made it up here Matt.

-Dave
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

That's such a cool car. You definitely need to start racking up the miles. You should post some info on the Miata too.

-BP
markss327

Post by markss327 »

Nice car.
A better gear will really change the 'personality' of the car...
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
300hp - a bit much for FWD!
TheRookie

Post by TheRookie »

Well, per Fred's request, I am updating my project. There really isn't too much to say other than I need to just drive the darn thing. However, I have eye'd up my next upgrade. The current wastegate was professionally modified for the previous owner, but then he tapped it for a electronic boost controller and I am not sure if it's working just right.

http://www.scottiesharpe.com/store/prod ... G&from=ALL
Fred32v

Spring Carlisle 2006

Post by Fred32v »

Keep the reports coming. Also consider Spring Carlisle. I'm sure there'll be something there that you need.
TheRookie

Finally, some news

Post by TheRookie »

Well, thanks to Bob for swapping out some help for my old 77 pickup (which should show up here soon), the bimmer is on the road again and better than ever. It's a daily driver again.

Here's a list of some of the work:
-new water pump
-new sway bar
-new(er) rear springs and struts
-new(er) tires on some new(er) rims - just temporary
-updated speakers all around
-readjusted doors

Next steps include stopping by a recently found local bimmer shop that specializes in diffs, an improved design wastegate, and then an exhaust.

Mr. Sutter has volunteered to check into some new or improved Bosch fuel injectors for me. The part # is 0 280 150 200. Rated at 300cm3/min (about 30lbs/hr). They are fine to kick up from the stock 250hp to 300hp. Plenty of people run them way beyond that, but I'd rather see what else is available. Just make sure the impedence is ok. Supposedly they are funky despite looking pretty standard.

I'll work on some new pics as I'm likely heading into car washing mode.
TheRookie

unexpected find

Post by TheRookie »

Looks like I am going to pickup a new diff on Saturday. Hard to find the 'big' diff that came with my car. Kinda like Paul and the Caddie. And similar to Paul again, I'll be going from a 2.93 to a 3.25.
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

NICE!! That will make a big difference, and the car will still go 140. :D

-BP
TheRookie

Big difference

Post by TheRookie »

Ok, sorry for the bad pun subject

New $200 diff complete with Royal Purple synthetic is in and definitely getting into boosting sooner and pulling stronger than before. Should get me at least a few tenths. Thanks to Bob for help and thanks to Paul for supervising. Paul should consider a career at ODOT :)

Next steps are sending away for the new modified wastegate to (hopefully) get me past the stock 6psi for my b-day. I am still crossing my fingers that my Bosch connection can find new or upgraded injectors to ensure I am flowing good at the higher boost. If not, I'm sending out my spare set to rcengineering or cruisinperformance. Rebuild is only $100-$200.
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

as far as the injectors go I am still waiting on my connection. If he doesn't come through I may have 1 other connection. Don't expect anything this week though as I will be in Tampa all week. Thanks.
Matt Sutter
TheRookie

Hurry up and wait

Post by TheRookie »

New, rebuilt wastegate should be shipping soon and fix the boost cut at 6psi. In the meantime, I think I've identified the coolest BMW ever!

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/40935/bmw_from_hell/

I guess he's running about 25-30psi. I'm just shooting for 12-15 :)
TheRookie

Extra point!

Post by TheRookie »

The kick is up.... and it's good!!!

The new wastegate is installed and I am hitting 10-12 PSI after a little tweaking. I should be able to dial it up a few more no problem. Right now, the AFR gauge is reading dead center under all boost levels, so I am a happy camper.

Let me tell ya, a huge difference from the old 6 PSI wall I was hitting. I can't wait to get it down to TDR. I already found an Impala on Mayfield Rd through the valley that may have won off the line, but then got smoked as soon as I got me some woooosh.

Well, now it's time to get her all cleaned up and put back together. I'm hoping we get some nice cool weather for next Sunday.