Impala SS

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

MostMint

Post by MostMint »

I'm due to change the avatar. Really looking to get a tiresmoker style burnout but have not had any pics of that yet.

It appears my little adventure has changed something in my tires as the car is now pulling to the left slightly. Going to rotate tires to see if I can clear it up. Not happy that my new Firehawk GTs (P245/45/R18s - just bought last week) are having this problem. Maybe I'll be lucky and one will be a little low on air, but I doubt it.

I also forgot to mention last week that the SS was due for an oil change so I went to full synthetic.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

So I ventured out to the track on Friday night. I had not really prepared - just loaded up the laptop and went.

It was fairly busy and I managed three passes in a little over 2 hours. I learned how to launch on the Firehawk GTs. You have to lower the tire pressure and heat them up just like most tires. The third pass was good - another 14.14 at 99.3 with 2.16 60' time.

After the first pass I realized the left front headlight was still in and I had no tools to remove it. The air was 62 degrees, but there was a 5-10 mph direct headwind which was probably offsetting the gains from the cool air.
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Found these pics when I was organizing my PC. I was washing these cars last fall and having them side by side I was amazed comparing the lengths:

-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

8)

-BP[/quote]
markss327

Post by markss327 »

I'm afraid to ask.... but what is that ??? :shock:
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
300hp - a bit much for FWD!
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

After my last outing at 42, there was quite a bit of tire rubber on the car. That is a pile of most of what I removed.
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Re: Impala SS

Post by MostMint »

Had another bad experience with stabilitrak today. There was a little bump in the corner and it cut the throttle! Very inconvenient when chasing a WRX Impreza through there! It was not an opportune time for this and so I need to know how to disable. This will be the next fix. After that a suspension redo is calling - a little lower and a little less roll over in the corner.
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

I just put over 1400 miles on the SS going to Virginia this past week. Sadly I did not see GMJohnny's pic until after I had the chance to get a pic of the SS with the USS Wisconsin. As it is the pic below is as close as I could get to the Atlantic Ocean at Virginia Beach.

I'm upgrading to a digital camera with a zoom lens for the next trip.

I only saw one Impala SS in Virginia besides mine and it was near the navy base and had Texas plates. Not sure they are allowed to buy them in VA.

On the trip I made over 24 mpg with the car. A couple tanks were at 25 mpg - not bad considering the air was on the entire time.
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

One of the guys at work is scheduling another day at Nelson Ledges. This is pressuring me to do something about the stabilitrak. I posted on the LS1tech forum, and one guy said he had his "tuned out". So I set to looking for it today. Made a couple changes and downloaded them into the car. We'll see if it does anything.

I was also reading about guys who had oversteer with the Grand Prix GXP. My car understeers so badly I think it would understeer with one flat tire in the back. I can't imagine the difference between the SS and the GXP, but it might warrant further investigation, as maybe I can get a better sway bar up front.
-BP[/quote]
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Except for under HARD breaking and turning, I'd have a real hard time believing any factory front driver would show anything but understeer or somewhat neutral tendencies. Then plunk a V8 WAY up front...

I do agree that a bigger front sway bar would go a long way. If you do that and get a good set of progressive rate lowering springs and you'll be in much better shape, plus the car will look cooler sitting lower. Eibach usually make a set for everything that will drop the car around an inch or so and will give you a decent balance of ride and handling. They do make the car rougher over choppy pavement, and that heavy sway bar won't help the ride much either.

-BP
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

In your effort to make the SS go around corners better,
before you invest more in hardware, I think a day or two
at a driving school would better insure your survival and
take full advantage of the modifications your making.
I bet that car's limits would surprise you just the way it is,
if you understood how to ask it, without exceeding them. :idea: :| :!:
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

I think I better start a Christmas list:

http://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-performan ... -done.html
-BP[/quote]
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Do you really want that hard ride on Ohio roads? If it's anything like the '87 Trans AM I had with the suspension stuff, I would think twice before doing that. Your family's butts will thank you.

-BP
VeeDub

Post by VeeDub »

Springs would make a nice difference IMO. http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/Susp ... toModClar=
The link is for your car.
I put these H&R springs on my daily driver ( my 8V) and I think there great. The ride improved on small bumps but when I push the car in a corner and the chassis takes a "set" it firms up. They're progressive springs - kind of best of both worlds. Tire Racks prices cant be beat on these also. :wink:
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Coincidentally those are the same springs on the Saturn - H&R Sport. I wonder if their is a significant difference between the Eibach and the H&R.

I drove Tom's Boxster and it has Bilstein struts and I had no issue with the ride. They make a lot of struts so I need to compare what he had to what this guy had - though I'm hesitant to drop $900 on struts.

Somehow I'm less affected by a "harsh" ride.
-BP[/quote]