Impala SS

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

No I have not run it at the track (don't know when I will).

However starting in 2007 the Avalanches (4wd) have aluminum block 5.3's, mine is all aluminum.
Matt Sutter
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

The all aluminum 5.3's were 310hp where the iron block 5.3's are 295hp. Not to mention the weight savings of probably 50 lbs or so.

-BP
markss327

Alum-Iron

Post by markss327 »

Aluminum vs Iron, I stand corrected. Thanks!
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
300hp - a bit much for FWD!
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Weighed the car yesterday. Subtracting off my weight, the SS weighs 3680 with an almost empty tank.

Also, the car pulls to the left slightly. When I bought it there was a pull, but the dealer lined it up and it was OK. After drag racing shakedowns I noticed it was back. Had it back in for an alignment. 3 of 4 were out of alignment already. Still pulling to the left.

So it is down to one of these possibilities:
1. brake hanging up
2. bad rack
3. tires

Yesterday one of my coworkers said his son works in tire testing, and the son said tires are made a lot lighter now and are more prone to cords shifting, sidewalls separating from the tread. I suspect this is the problem and I need to rotate the tires first. If this is the problem those Goodyears will be going.
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

My 2005 Impala had the rack go out after 50k. That was the only issue it ever had pretty much.
Matt Sutter
TheRookie

Post by TheRookie »

It's not uncommon for the ladies rack to go out after 50 :)
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Ask Tony Stewart how he feels about Goodyears...

-BP
wxo

Post by wxo »

Hey Rookie,
I'd be very careful, if I were you, about speaking negatively on the condition of ladies over 50. At least one that I know of occasionally reads this forum and she will soon be meeting you. :wink:
TheRookie

Post by TheRookie »

I have the utmost respect for women. It was just a joke I saw and I had to make. Kind of like someone giving you a free beer. You feel obligated to drink. Or seeing a firecracker laying around and a match in your hand. Honestly, it's not my fault. The devil made me do it.
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

I rotated the front tires and now the car pulls to the right. Going to move the bad tire to the back next, and get a quote on new tires.
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Put the bad tire to the right rear and now the car tracks straight.

I also noticed that the bad tire is actually out of round slightly. This can't be good. I am sad that an OE tire could be like this. For once I think I agree with Tony Stewart. Edit: I am taking it in to Goodyear to have it looked at.

Bridgestone only has a couple tire choices and they are not cheap. The Firehawk GT is like $520 and the Turanza is $650, after my discount.
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Goodyear is not going to help. No tire companies will help after you have them a few months if it's the OEM tire. At the dealership we weren't able to get any warranty on a tire, no matter the issue. They'll just say the tires were rotated not enough, or too much, or incorrectly, etc, and tell you to pound salt.

Good luck, but I don't think you'll have any success. It's a used car, I think you'll just have to pony up the cash and get a new set so you know where you stand. You did get a great deal on the car, so if the only thing it "needs" is tires, you're probably OK. I'm guessing someone crossrotated the tires and it broke a belt. A harsh curb or pothole would do it too.

-BP
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

I figure if I dont ask I definitely won't get anything. I called my local goodyear store and they told me to bring it in - they want to look at it. I still doubt anything will come of it but I am going to try it.

When I got the car I read the owner manual and it says what you said about the tires - not the vehicle manufacturers responsibility.

I am fairly sure this happened at the dragstrip. I noticed it shortly after and I thought it was because I had changed the tire pressure.
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

So the tire situation evaporated after I took it to Goodyear, they rebalanced the tires and the problem went away. I tried having them put the bad tire on the front again but the problem still did not return. During this time I found that all the tires were not round, not just one. To my surprise I also found tires on my wifes car that were not round either, so it was really hard to make them replace the tire.

Also I have some pics of the K&N

MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Not much new to update here. The tires still are not right, so I need to make a decision about them. In the last few days they are starting to shake again. I think a rebalance will fix it until they shift a little more. I don't feel it in the wheel so it must be a back tire this time, and the car still tracks straight.

I had a run in with an R32 VW several weeks back but all I proved there was that you can't win a race if you forget to make the 2-3 shift. The cars were close, but I did not have a chance to try again.

Yesterday I came across a late model GTO with SLP exhaust on the way in to work - with vanity plates "MATS GTO". (He had SLP emblems on the back and it was loud.) He was following a TT with an old guy at the wheel. So I pulled in behind him and at first was hesitant cause I figured the 400hp GTO would crush me. Eventually I said "who cares" and then waited for a chance to move on the guy. So when the center lane opened up I went for it. To my surprise Matt and his GTO did not bite. WTF? Why bother with the HP and all that advertising if you are not going to use it?

Last night I used the Mequiars bug and tar remover to get the bugs off the front of the car and the mirrors. It worked well. First time I have actually done detail work on a car in a long long time. Before Sunday it will get a wash and wax.