Impala SS

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

MostMint

Re: Impala SS

Post by MostMint »

Following up on some items:

I ended up forking over the $ and getting the trans rebuilt back in 2017. No problems since then. I asked about which fluid they used the rebuilder said Dexron 3.

Also after the deer hit the car went to Copley Auto and Collision and got put back together.
IMG_2616.JPG
The mileage is starting to creep down I'm thinking it might be time for a new O2 sensor.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Noticed a heat shield was loose so went to fixing it last night. Had to replace a plastic river that holds part of the heat shield. While under there I noticed a crack in the exhaust pipe at the Y. Will fix this weekend
Attachments
D0129BBB-3EFA-41E1-811A-0631EC3F007F.jpeg
-BP[/quote]
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Looks crusty...

-BP
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

well it is aluminized pipe, but it has only been in the salt for about a month earlier this year. The metal still feels firm and does not yield to hammer tapping. We'll see once it gets welded how thin it is.
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

New rotors on all four corners and new rear pads. Pads were almost 10 years old but lifetime warranty got new ones no charge.

Also tightened the braces from the strut tower to the core support. Car has been creaking on low speed corners and internet says that is it
Attachments
B06E1DE1-3C29-4D64-B23D-734710549C4D.jpeg
879B59CF-91F5-483D-AD9E-4451BB84F1EF.jpeg
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

The creaking continues.
Removed the LF brace and it changed nothing. Problem seems to be after shifting from straight to turn. If I move forward and back in the drive with the wheel turned left it does not make the sound.
Replaced the thermostat due to long warmup times.
Replaced the top engine mount in attempt to eliminate the creaking - no success.

Discovered an oil leak in the front valve cover. Have to replace it.

I'll get these fixed.

I wonder what this car will be worth to sell? Top of the line dealer retail says about $5k. Unclear what the rust free status premium might be.
-BP[/quote]
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

These things are all over the map with what people and dealers are asking. From $3200 for a decent looking 138k mi version up to $9k from a dealer for a 75k mile version. There's one in Buffalo just like yours with 131k on it that looks really nice for $5k. Better hope nobody pulls the Carfax on yours though... :wink:

-BP
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

I finally gave up on trying to fix the creaking - after several attempts: Tightened the front subframe bolts to spec, checked power steering rack bolts, removed the stabilizer links, removed the strut tower brace - none of it made a difference. It only does it at low speeds when you apply power when cornering.

Got the valve cover gaskets changed.

Put the car on FB marketplace this evening.
-BP[/quote]
wxo

Post by wxo »

Here's what you need to zero in on the squeak: https://www.amazon.com/STEELMAN-06600-C ... 665&sr=8-6
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

The FB Marketplace shows your SS as a manual, I think if it were a standard transmission it would not be for sale. Grins!
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

You are correct! I checked there are still only two pedals. The automatic box was checked, but I made some small changes and it looks to me like now it thinks it automatic.
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

At 132,2xx it has new transmission fluid. While under there I noticed the power steering cooler line was mounted incorrectly - which I hoped was the creaking - so I fixed that. However it did not help.

Also put rebalanced the summer tires and put them on the car. All four were out of balance, and you could feel the RF shaking slightly at highway speeds. I just finally got fed up and fixed it. So it's smooth but these tires have more road noise than the snow tires. It could be the different offset from these wheels putting more stress on the wheel bearings - really not sure.

I'll get some fresh pics when it quits raining and I can get the car clean again.
-BP[/quote]