Chevelle 2008 projects

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

TireSmoker
Site Admin

Chevelle 2008 projects

Post by TireSmoker »

With the new engine together and running, I figured it was time to start a new project thread.

Just for review, I'm running a .030-over 400, 5.7" Chevy rods, Pro-Tru (Wiseco) flat-top forged pistons. Combined with 64cc heads, I have around 11:1 compression. The cam is hyd flat tappet from Custom Camshaft Co, 233/241 @ .050, .541/.563 lift with 1.6 roller rockers, with a 112* LSA. The heads are Edelbrock E-Tec 170, straight out of the box. Intake is a Holley Stealth Ram EFI, stock TPI 48mm throttle body, 42lb/hr injectors, Innovate LC-1 wideband O2, all controlled by a Megasquirt-II. Ignition is all MSD-- Pro-Billet/6AL/Blaster-2. Exhaust is 1 5/8" Hedman's, with a 2 1/2" dual exhaust, H-pipe, Flowmaster-imitation mufflers, and cutouts just past the collectors.

Transmission is a Turbo 350 with TCI 11" Streetfighter torque converter.

Rearend is a 3.55 12-bolt posi with upgraded axles.

Race weight, as measured a couple years ago at Metal Management, was 3680. Chupposity is harder to nail down, but it is undeniable.

My goal is to get it back running on the EFI after doing the break-in with the carb. However, I also want to get the Megasquirt controlling the ignition. It might be easier to get that worked out while the carb is still on the car. I'd have known-good fueling. I'd only need a tach-input, vacuum line, and spark-output hooked up to the Megasquirt. I think I'll try that first.

-Dave
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

I've been making progress on my ignition control project. I even tasted limited success this evening -- I had Megasquirt controlling the timing.

I'm running the Pro-Billet distributor. The two wires coming out it are directly from the VR sensor (Variable Reluctor). I have these hooked the the P & N pins on an GM 8-pin HEI module (found in any 87-95 truck and most 87-93 v8 cars).

The 2-terminal connector:
+ --> ignition-hot +12v.
C --> white wire on my MSD box.

The 4-terminal connector:
G --> Grounded
B --> TPS-VREF on relay board (a source of +5V)
R --> Tach on relay board (tach-in for Megasquirt)
E --> S1 on Relay board (note: I have JP1-5 header connected to X11 on my ver 2.2 board) (this is the Megasquirt-controlled signal)

So, basically how it works is this: if the (B) terminal is disconnected, the coil will fire at whatever base timing you set in the distributor (ie-- when you rotate it). When the B (bypass) terminal has 5 volts applied to it, the module will then use the signal on the E terminal (EST) to adjust the timing.

The module fires the coil on the negative side, just like a points setup works, via the (C) terminal. Here, I just have it set to trigger the white wire on the MSD box, and the MSD box physically fires the coil.

I have the base timing set at 10*. For testing purposes, I have the entire spark map in Megasquirt set at 15*. During cranking, the B terminal is supposed to be off, using base timing. Once the engine is running, the B terminal is energized and timing is applied from the computer. You can hear the engine pick up from the added timing.

After I got it working (sort of), I'm having trouble getting the timing values in the computer to match the values I see on the balancer. Also, something is wrong with carb, because gas was starting to come out the float bowl vent, so I had to quit for a while (it was getting late by this point).

I'm definitely on the right track. I think I'll be swapping the EFI back on here very soon.

-Dave
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Big progress this weekend -- I'm up and running on EFI again! I got the intake changed over last night. It was a piece of cake, really. It would've been even easier if I had a 12-point 3/8" socket. I had to use a wrench instead. GM's Vortec intake gaskets are re-usable, so you only have to scrape the end seals.

I used the electric pump to pump out all the year-old gas into a can. I added 4 fresh gallons of Sunoco 93.

I haven't touched the fuel settings in the Megasquirt since the last time it was running before freezing. In fact, it probably has whatever Mark and I tuned into it in Sept 2006. It was close enough, and it fired right up on the first try. It's not perfect, but as you can see in the video, it starts/idles pretty well. It was around 50* in the garage at the time.

Video here (1.3 MB)

-Dave
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

THAT IS AWESOME!!!!! :twisted:

-BP
Fred32v

Satisfaction on the way

Post by Fred32v »

Nothing like a really cold, snowy weekend in the middle of January to create some really great progress.
Looks like Tiresmoke will be in the 12's smokin' again, probably before Easter, well OK, Memorial Day. :)
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
wxo

Post by wxo »

It's great to hear and see it running, Dave. What's next on the agenda?
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Just little stuff at this point. I never got the ignition control fully functional with the carb. I got close, and will try to figure out what I'm doing wrong there. I still need to put the wideband oxygen sensor back in and verify that it works properly. After that, I just have wiring cleanup under the dash and then see what other problems crop up. Keeping my fingers crossed!

-Dave
markss327

EFI 1 Holley 0

Post by markss327 »

WooHoo!!! :D :D :D
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
300hp - a bit much for FWD!
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Did you feel your Chupposity level increasing?

What is different about the fuel supply - is that problem resolved?
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

MostMint wrote:Did you feel your Chupposity level increasing?

What is different about the fuel supply - is that problem resolved?
My increased Chupposity is probably why it started on the first try!

As for the fuel supply, I don't know that I'll have an answer about that until I can really put a load on the engine. In Sept '06, it would run well enough at no-load or low-load. I briefly brake-torqued in the garage, but the engine was cold, and my friend Chris wasn't standing where he could see the FP anyway. I'll have to check that out next time I have it running.

-Dave
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Anthony stopped over tonight and he wanted to see/hear it run. So, while he was here, I took the opportunity to put load on the engine and have him watch the gauge. Pressure did not drop. Hardly the end-all-be-all test, but it seems like a good sign.

-Dave
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

MAIDEN VOYAGE

I changed the oil and filter in the Chevelle today, finally draining the break-in oil. After that, I took my first drive in the Chevelle! Boy did it feel good to drive it again. I just drove it around the side streets here, venturing out onto Wilson Mills just once.

I have the narrowband O2 sensor installed for the moment and just wanted to see if I could drive the car around the neighborhood. I also was taking a datalog with MegaTune, trying to hit the basic driving areas of the fuel table (idle-3000 RPM, between 40-75kpa). I ran the first datalog through a program called MegaLogViewer (MLV) which has the ability to analyze that log to optimize the fuel table. After this first optimization, I recorded a 2nd log and ran this through the optimization again.

My driveway is still completely covered with snow pack. As I would come back into the garage, I was able to poke the throttle and rotate the rear end around to come straight into the garage. It was a nice substitute for not being able to do a good burnout or anything.. :-)

The night was not without its problems, however. The 2nd time I was about to venture onto Wilson Mills, it died on me, I think because there is very little fuel in it. It spooked me a little, but where Summers comes out to Wilson Mills is sloped, and the fuel must moved away from the pickup or something. I don't know for sure. Then, after getting home, I couldn't shut the car off. I have some sort of electrical issue. I hope it's nothing difficult. I had to pull the postive terminal connections off the battery to get it to shut off.

Because of the electrical issue, I haven't driven it after the 2nd fuel table optimization, but I trust it will run fairly well. But I haven't gotten beyond more than probably 1/4 throttle. If it doesn't rain tomorrow (forecast says 100% chance), I'll try to take it out again.

-Dave
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

I actually did all the stuff on the car on Saturday and wrote that post, but forgot to click Send.

Anyway, I went out and checked on the electrical issue. I believe it is an issue with the original Chevelle wiring and not my add-on Megasquirt wiring.

The key is switching power correctly. Using a test light, I probed a couple of various ignition-switched leads and they turned on and off correctly with the key switch.

With battery connected and the Key off/Engine off, the GEN light is on. Turning the key to the run position (engine still off) the GEN light goes out. I can hear a distinct noise (high pitched buzz/whine) coming from the alternator with the key in either position.

I have a bad habit of writing stuff and not clicking send.

Came back from the garage just now and found that the wire from the alternator to the GEN light got pinched in the main alternator output lug. Corrected that problem and all is well.

Too bad it's raining, otherwise I'd go drive it again.

-Dave
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Went for another short drive and the car died on me in the same spot. There's still a fuel pickup issue that I'm going to want to resolve. In the near term, I'm just going to make sure that keeping the tank over 1/3 full. I guess I'll have to start thinking about a more permanent solution.

-Dave
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

I poured about 4.5 gallons in the tank from a gas can today and the fuel gauge finally registered near 1/4 tank. I started the car and let it warm up and made a couple laps of the neighborhood again, recording a datalog. I ran this against MegaLogViewer's VE Analysis function and it generated a new VE table, which I flashed into my MS-II. I drove around recording a 2nd datalog, ran the VE Analysis again, and flashed this 2nd updated table in the MS-II.

The car is running pretty decent now. I drove it down to the gas station and added another $19.70 of Sunoco 93l. (makes it easy to remember on the bank statement). I'm now showing around 1/2 tank.

I'm still running on locked-out timing, somewhere between 10-20 degrees, so I know the motor is running a little flat, but it still feels pretty nice.

Most of the area from idle to 3500, at less than 3/4 throttle is tuned in. I have some lean surges in a few places, but that'll be easy enough to clean up.

At this point the car is insured and drivable. Time to get some break-in miles!

-Dave