Chevelle 2008 projects

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

markss327

To cage,or not to cage...

Post by markss327 »

Isn't it 10.99 and better, require a 6pt cage?
Or, is it 11.99 ???? :?: :?: :?: :?:
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
300hp - a bit much for FWD!
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

I think back in the good 'ol days, it was 11.99, but it is now 11.49 and quicker (13.49 for convertibles). It'll take some sort of power-adder to get me to 11.49. I wonder how big a shot of nitrous it'd take to get me to 10.90.. :twisted:

http://www.nhra.com/contacts/tech_faq.html

If the other guy had been closer to me, I probably would've run it out, but I was sooo far ahead that hitting the brakes seemed like it would be a free pass to the next round. I was stunned when I saw his win light come on.

I love setting a new best ET, but once elimination begins, I'm in it to win it. Even if it's just for a trophy and $50.

-Dave
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

Got any video of the runs? Or did you go by yourself.
Matt Sutter
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

No videos. I went by myself and had accidentally left my camera at work.
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Wow, it's been a while since I updated this thread. As the 2008 season is coming to an end, so will this topic. I'll start a new one for 2009.

I made my final trip to the dragstrip on June 18th. Actually, at the time, Linda had said she'd like to go out to the dragstrip, and I never need much prodding, so we went.

While sitting at a traffic light, I notice some smoke come up from the rear. The car felt fine, sounded fine, no odd smells. I keep going, watching the rearview mirror. I see more smoke. I pullover a bit down the road and it is noticably smoking, although intermittently, from the passenger side. Seems like a little bit from the driver's side too, but nothing I would deem a problem.

I called Paul, who was already at the track. After talking with him, I decide to keep heading out there. By the time I get there, the smoking has subsided. I made a few passes and it was basically on the number, maybe a tenth slower than it had been. The car started acting up and doing things (cutting out) that it had never done before. I lost in the first round of animal to Paul because of this.

I made my runs and made it back home without any major incident, but I couldn't get the smoking out of my mind. I let it sit, and within a few days, I had bought the SV650. New toy means letting the old one sit. And sit, it did. I never even attempted to get it out to the dragstrip again. Heck, I don't think I even tried driving it again for at least month.

I started it up a couple times this past week. I just started it and let it idle to warm up in the garage. I was surprised, because it sat there and idled fine to warm up, both times. Often times, it would stall/peter-out when cold. I drove it to put some gas in it the first time. It seemed to run ok, but in the cold night air, there was a LOT more condensation (smoke?) coming from the passenger side while it idled and I pumped gas. It didn't have any noticable odor, though. On the way back home, I romped on it and the detonation monster was evident. Didn't seem to feel as strong as I remembered, either. I took it out again the next day, just for a lap around the block.

While listening to the engine in the garage, I'm hearing a noise from the passenger side -- irregular, heavier than a 'tap' but lighter than 'knock'. I pulled the plugs and nothing obvious there. Next step is to check compression. I'd

It's leaking quite a bit of oil somewhere in the rear. I hope it's from the back of the intake and not a rear-main-seal.

Now that I'm fully settled at Meadowridge, I'll give everything a good once over this winter. I really miss being able to just jump in the car and drive it. That's what I miss the most. I really don't want to go back to a carb, but I might, just to make sure *all* of the mechanical bits are sorted out.

-Dave