1989 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

wxo

Post by wxo »

Today I have some progress to report. I spent the afternoon working on the rear hatch. I have not opened it until now. Both support struts were not hooked up so it was very heavy to open. With some help from the cook (Randi), I was able to get it propped up enough to bolt up the struts to help hold it open. That's when I noticed that the hinges that are bolted through the rear of the roof panel were loose. I called my buddy Jim Arnold and he came over to help me manhandle the hatch. We spent the whole afternoon adjusting and readjusting removing and installing until we got the thing opening and closing correctly. It doesn't sit perfectly straight, but opens and closes well. We got the the point of diminishing returns and decided to let well enough alone. We thought we'd leave something for Matt when he runs out of things to do. The good news is I believe the water leak is fixed. When Patrick installed the replacement hatch he didn't seal the hinge bolts that go through the rear of the roof. We put a little dum-dum around each bolt and it looks like it seals out the water now. I hosed it off and didn't see any water inside afterward.
I intend to order some new support struts for the hatch. These seem to be about worn out.
I think next on the agenda will be the tranny fluid leak. I sure hope it's a simple fix. My garage floor is being water proofed with transmission fluid.

The ol' gal just seems to get better and better. I took her out and she feels like an old friend.
TheRookie

Post by TheRookie »

Great news! No leaks is a good thing, especially if you happen to run into some rain on the road trip up. I'm really looking forward to the end of July. It's been a long wait, but you've done quite a bit to get her right. Thanks again! I'm sure there will be plenty of little things for me to work on. We'll certainly have to celebrate when you arrive. TDR is calling!

As for the tranny leak, if you end up needing to filler up, might as well splurge a little and upgrade to synthetic for a longer life. I'm hoping it just needs a little tightening and not replacing seals. If you think it'll be fine for the trip, you can leave that for me to deal with.
wxo

Post by wxo »

The first step I plan to take on the leak problem is to jack her up and degrease all around the trans. Then I can see where the juice is coming from. It may be a simple and easy fix.

As far as refilling the transmission with synthetic fluid, I would get the leak stopped first. Besides it doesn't take much loss before I can notice a little slipping. For example, on Friday it slipped a little when I was backing her out of the garage. It was about a pint low. When full, it goes into gear solidly and shifts beautifully.
markss327

Dextron 101

Post by markss327 »

I'd recommend staying with good old Dextron.
Changing things this late in the game, i.e., mileage, could be asking for trouble.

Ask Freddy 32 about synthetic in the Northstar. :shock:
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
300hp - a bit much for FWD!
wxo

Post by wxo »

Yeah, Mark, I tend to agree with you. Dextron is the recommended fluid and has worked well for me for many decades. I wouldn't change to synthetic if it were me, but you know how these rookies are. :wink: And don't forget it's his car.
Last edited by wxo on Mon May 19, 2008 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

If it doesn't leak the synthetic would find a way to get out. My '99 ETC never leaked until I did it a favor and put synthetic in it.
Also, my GM turbo 350 and turbo 400 trannies all used Ford's Mercron tranny fluid, Jim Synder said it was heavier and would
work better helping shifting and heat control. I don't remember what Jeff Gardner said to use in the 'bird's 700R4.
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
TheRookie

Post by TheRookie »

Well, I'll shy away from it on older cars for now since you guys know more than me. It did help quite a bit with the shifting on the Lincoln. Essentially eliminated it. Thanks.
wxo

Post by wxo »

I like the way the Firebird shifts right now. I wouldn't change it. I'd be anxious about fixing something that isn't broke.
wxo

Post by wxo »

Well, I've started the final push to get the ol' gal ready for her trip to Cleveland. First I installed the new support struts for the rear hatch. They do the job. I almost have to hang from the open hatch to get it closed.

Since it's been hot and steamy around here I decided to see if I could get the A/C working for the trip. First, I pulled a vacuum and it seemed to hold. No serious leaks here. But when I added some R134, the low side pressure went way up to 110 psi. I stopped adding refrigerant. This is way too high. It should be around 40 psi on a good running system. It appears that a quick and dirty fix was not to be. This system probably has a clog somewhere. I'm not sure if this system has an orifice tube or not, but if it does, that is the most likely suspect. If anyone knows of a quick and easy way to fix this, please chime in. I really don't want to get into parts replacements at this time, though.

Even after sitting for weeks, I continue to be impressed by how easy she starts and how well she runs. This is a fun car to drive.
wxo

Post by wxo »

Today's update is quite positive. I degreased the bottom of the transmission with brake cleaner and ran the car around town. When I got back I was surprised to see that the bottom of the trans was bone dry. And this after cleaning up puddle after puddle on my garage floor. When I checked the fluid, it was about a pint low so I added about a half pint and ran it some more. Still no leaks. I'm not sure what to make of it. I'll keep monitoring it to see what happens.

Driving around town on this hot muggy day motivated me to take another look at the AC. This time I was successful in getting it to work. I guess sometimes you just gotta hold your mouth right. I put a couple of cans of R134 in the system and the pressures are now as they should be. The air from the vents, as measured with the temperature gun I bought at Carlisle, is in the 30's. Nice and cold!
TheRookie

Post by TheRookie »

*Phew* Good to know that the tranny isn't or has stopped leaking. Also good to know that the orifice tube has started leaking, so to speak. That would be a long drive with out it. It seems that just some extra use is all it needed.

I can't believe it'll finally be here soon. It's only been half a year - like I ordered a custom Porsche :) But good things come to those who wait.
wxo

Post by wxo »

Well after some consideration, it seems that the expansion tube was probably OK from the start. Did you know that it is possible to install the R134 port adapters backwards (low side adapter on high side etc)? I didn't either, until yesterday. I had them swapped so that I was reading the high pressure side when I thought it was the low pressure side of the system. Operator error!! Or as we used to say in the computer world "loose nut behind the keyboard". Anyway, no harm no foul. When I saw what was happening, I corrected the problem and things fell into place as they should. They system seems to be working just fine.

Now that I have AC the next creature comforts need to be a passenger door that opens and a radio.
TheRookie

Post by TheRookie »

When I used to work helpdesk in the ISP world, we use to refer to those as PEBCAK errors. Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair :)
wxo

Post by wxo »

Same difference (as my Mom used to say).

The trans is still leaking, but I think I've found the source. It looks like it's coming from the shaft that the shifter operates. I guess the seal is verschmeckled. I wonder if it can be fixed from the outside. I'll have to consult the book.
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

I think that I had to replace the "O" ring on a shifter shaft once, and I'm pretty sure you can do it from the outside.
That might be an easy fix. Don't remember where I got the exact correct "O" ring.
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!