1989 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

wxo

Post by wxo »

Let's start with the power windows. Yes it has 'em, but the doors don't come from the factory with speakers in them. The speakers are located in the dash pad in the front and in the rear on the door pillars behind the seats. I believe I have Infinity 6x9's for the rear speakers (I still have to check on their whereabouts).

I will be happy to give you the Sony CD and tape units that fit the car. If you know a good repair guy, it may make sense to get it fixed again. I don't really remember the exact symptoms at this time. I think I may even have the power amp I had mounted under the driver's seat. I removed that also.

If it's all the same to you, I think I'll just leave the entertainment part of this project to you, Matt. I'll just take the easy way out on this project and put the stock radio back in for the trip. I'll throw in the Sony and you can decide what you want to do later.
TheRookie

Post by TheRookie »

Completely up to you and we have plenty of time. I'll have to spend that money sooner or later and I'd rather do it on a new unit that fixing an old one. That comes with a full install kit, so it might make life a little easier and you'd have a CD for the trip. I guess it all comes down to what's still laying around, etc. Just let me know. Here's what it comes with:

http://www.crutchfield.com/popups/offer ... erID=10008
TheRookie

Post by TheRookie »

Well, I just bought my first performance part(s) for my car. I was just randomly checking eBay and found the correct Hypertech chip for my year car (they vary quite a bit). And even better, this is the stage 2 chip and comes with themostats (160 and 180). And the best of it all?? It was only $20 plus $11 shipping. Those are around $200 new (and it was never used). Should be good for around 20-40HP. Sweet!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0214959515

I almost hate to post since I think BP's thread is way more exciting (congrats!). But I'll need that chip if I want to try and catch up to him :)
wxo

Post by wxo »

Well, Rookie, the Bird already has the SLP intake runners and cold air box kit along with the K&N air filter. The new chip should complement these nicely.
Sorry about no updates lately. I've been real busy dealing with my daughter's problems in Atlanta. Things should be cooling off in the next few weeks so that I can have a few spare minutes to focus on the things I like to do (like your Firebird). I have been starting her up and taking her out for short runs every week or so. She is still doin' just fine.
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Nice find on the hypertech stuff, that's WAY cheap for those, and should be good for a tenth or two. For $20, that's CHEAP performance, and like Walt says, will work well with the other parts already on the car. Keep in mind that after the chip, it's premium fuel all the time though, and if you plan to drive it in the winter at all, you'll have very little heat with the 160 thermostat (I had one in my '87 for awhile- brrrrrr).

-BP
TheRookie

Post by TheRookie »

I'm used the to premium fuel all the time anyway with the TB SS. So no big deal. And the Firebird will never see snow and likely little rain. So the heater issue doesn't count either. And since I got such a good deal on the chip, it's more likely that I might get the exhaust done this year - especially if I can find a good deal on headers.
wxo

Post by wxo »

You can save your money on the headers. She's already wearing headers. If memory serves me correctly, they are Edelbrock's.
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

WXO, does the Firebird have an aluminum driveshaft?

-BP
wxo

Post by wxo »

No, does it need one?
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Yes, all third gen F-bodies need aluminum driveshafts. Rookie, I have a line on an aluminum driveshaft for that car. For something under $100, I'm sure Camaro Bob would relinquish posession of his (used to be mine). There's another tenth faster...

-BP
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

wxo wrote:No, does it need one?
As much as it needs the chip and headers I reckon :wink:
TheRookie

Post by TheRookie »

Gotta like making things faster with just electrons. Good call on the driveshaft. I'll chat with Bob.

In reality, it makes for a good question. WXO, what would you think is next on that car? BP seemed to think only headers were done, but not cat back. Still running the original 3.27 gear on that BW 9-bolt? Stall converter? K&N filter or full CAI? Just some guesses. I know you've done a lot.
wxo

Post by wxo »

Headers, yes
Cat-back, no
BW 9 bolt 3.27, yes
K&N with CAI, yes (SLP)
Converter, ??? (I know at one time I had a 1900 stall converter in her, I think it was put back to stock (1700 I believe) when the tranny was rebuilt)
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

BUMP.

Any new developments?
Matt Sutter
wxo

Post by wxo »

Nothing new. I've been tied up on many other things. I take her out for a spin every two weeks or so. That's about it.