New addition to the Sutter family

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

ttamrettus

New addition to the Sutter family

Post by ttamrettus »

Well, after much talk and discussion between the wife and I we settled on a new vehicle to replace the Impala. I wanted a TBSS but didn't want to buy premium gas all the time. I also wanted to buy a 2008 G8 GT but they won't be here until March 2008 and each dealer only gets like 1 to 6. So there will be no discounts (pay MSRP if not more), which I'm not willing to do. I also like the Tahoe and the Ford F-150 Super Crew. So we split the difference and got an Avalanche.

2007 Avalanche 4x4, 3LT, Z71, sunroof, navigation & LoJack. This way I can haul stuff without using my neighbors trailer and without getting the interior of an SUV dirty. It's a pretty nice ride.

Guess I can start looking for a Cold Air Intake and a tune, maybe a cat-back.

Tomorrow I will probably drop the spare tire to save a little weight (I have AAA with 100 miles towing if I get a flat, 4 hook-ups per year).
Matt Sutter
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I'm a big fan of the Avalanche. I love the color too. The new body style helped the Avalanche, but does not look as good on the Silverado. I'm guessing it's a 5.3, but what's the rearend gear? Probably a 3.73 or 4.10?

You'll love it I'm sure. Congratulations!

-BP
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

5.3 all aluminum V8
3.73 locking diff
2 tone leather

I'll get some more pics later.
Matt Sutter
markss327

AVs

Post by markss327 »

Nice. R E A L Nice.
No regrets with mine. Thanks BP.
5.3 (iron block, alum heads) \4l60e\3.73s (Z66) gets 16.4 in the city, and over 21 on the highway - according to the DIC.
Best run to date - 16.53 @ 83.1

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
300hp - a bit much for FWD!
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I believe the all aluminum V8's were of the 310hp variety, at least they were in the Siverados for 2006, where the iron block ones were 295.

-BP
markss327

My AV

Post by markss327 »

My '04 is rated at 295hp. Overall, I'm impressed with the 5.3. It's a great compromise of performance and economy. I've read some articles on those who have swapped out the 5.3 for the 6.0 - (in an Avalanche), and the performance gains were negligible. I believe you may have twin electric radiator fans, where I have engine driven.

The 'throttle by wire' is nice. If you've never had this, there are some driving, er, throttle behaviors to know. For instance, when just cruising on the Interstate, and you want 'passing gear', a slow, steady, depressing of the accelerator to the floor, it won't do much. But, if you rapidly floor it, it will kick down to low 2, and go. It seems to sense the rate of throttle movement, and act accordingly. I believe torque management plays a roll here. At WFO, mine shifts at 5250rpm. I've had mine up to 95mph and it was still pulling. I'm not sure what the MPH 'de-fueling' threshold is.

FYI, the bed of my AV is not 100% water tight. In a heavy rain, it'll leek a bit at the seals between panels. I believe this design hasn't changed with the new body style.

A power back window would be nice. :D
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

It is 310 hp.

I had to drive to Sweetwater TN today (about 300 miles) and the DIC said 18.4 average mpg. I left at 7am and got back about 4pm. It was about 2 hours of stop and go mountainous 2 lane and 4 hours of freeway (cruise set at 75mph typically).

I drives really nice (except the shimmy). It does ride a little harsher with the Z71 shocks though.

I have to take it back to the dealer tomorrow for some warranty work and to get the Lojack installed. There is a pin hole in the leather seat (told them to replace the cover, not fix it), there is a scratch on the door handle, it has a slight shimmy and pull to the left at 50mph +

Hopefully I get it back tomorrow night of Saturday (I stopped by there today to go over everything with them for tomorrow).

Mark, I registered at CAFCNA yesterday. Looking at the sail panel windows, amber lights, silverstars, maglite mod, fire extinguisher mod and some other stuff. GOOD STUFF MAN.
Matt Sutter
markss327

AV Guys

Post by markss327 »

I've done the amber DRLs, and have the CAFCNA sticker in the back window. I like the all four on high, bit haven't even opened the under hood fuse box.
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
Fred32v

Ready for those Chardon Winters

Post by Fred32v »

Looks like you found a very nice fit to all your original requirements. Always liked white.
With that 4x4 setup your ready for those mid-winter trips to Chardon. :)
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

Well the truck has been at the dealer for 5 days.
Here is what it had done.
A. installed LoJack
B. alignment - it had a slight pull - drives good now
C. re-balanced all 4 tires - it had a shimmy at 50mph to 70mph - feels a lot better
D. touch up around driver door lock - poor paint from GM
E. a pin prick in seat leather (not fixed yet)
Now it's back home. Man I missed it already.
Matt Sutter