2003 S-10

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Basement Paul

Re: 2003 S-10

Post by Basement Paul »

I told the tuner where the gap was. It's actually wider at .038 where it's recommended at .030. That's not the problem.

The problem with the stock computer is that it couldn't control the bigger injectors and I would have maybe bigger problems from there. The truck would only start and idle with the stock computer, but didn't know what to do with any throttle input at all.

-BP
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Misfire because the gap is too wide - can't make the jump under pressure?
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

What happened tonight is I went back out to the truck to gather some more data with my scanner and just after startup, the check engine light came on and threw the code for misfire in #6. So after dinner I pulled that plug out and saw it was really black. So I quickly ran to the parts store and bought new plugs. I only replaced that one, and gapped it correctly. To correct myself, the correct gap IS .038 and I had them gapped at .030. Until I have issues though, I'm not pulling the other plugs out.

Anyway... I got the plug in and went back out for a test drive and..... that was the problem! The truck runs GREAT now. I liken it to driving in Matt's Grand National back in the day. It sounds like it, it feels like it, and it gets just over 7psi. Yeah!

I'll post some pics and video this weekend too. I can't wait to get to the track for some baseline numbers. I'm guessing if it hooks at all, somewhere in the low 14's. On the street it hazes the tires from mid 1st gear well into 2nd. Cool.

-BP
VeeDub

Post by VeeDub »

Is there a smaller pulley available for the charger? Intercooler setup? :mrgreen:
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

So it runs! I've put at least 150 miles on it since the install and all is well in the land of superchargers. I made couple little tweaks to it and I think right now it's good to go. Hopefully I can get to the track next weekend (it was raining yesterday) and get some numbers.

Here's a video of it running:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFsBg2Mm ... ature=plcp

I left at least a couple hundred feed of marks at Fast87's place yesterday. I can tell you that it would never come close to doing that before. The boost really helps the mid to high end power where this motor needs it most.

I don't think the pulley could actually be any smaller without it being a bolt. I suppose a bigger drive pulley is possible, but I have no intention of putting more boost to it. I just want the motor to last forever and have it stay reliable and still be faster than it looks.

-BP
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Congratulations on getting the supercharger going. Did you get a reading on the air/fuel ratio?
Maverick
VeeDub

Post by VeeDub »

I see what you mean about the pulley. Will it pass emissions(legal set-up)?
Sounds cool. I might be up to going out to TRP next week.
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

As far as echeck goes, it's stock. The tuner set it up so I don't really even need a catalytic converter even though it's still on there. I'll leave it there until it goes bad, or I need another tenth...

A/F mixture I have no idea. It's not pinging, so I'm not too worried about it. Eventually I'll have it dyno tuned to get any extra HP I might be missing, but that's $500 that I don't have right now. So for now, I'm happy with the performance.

-BP
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Eventually I'll have it dyno tuned to get any extra HP I might be missing, but that's $500
HOLY CRAP!! They're about half that here. Shops here also have occasional "Dyno Day" where they'll strap it down and do a couple of pulls for $75. No tuning allowed but you find out where you are.
Maverick
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Well, the initial tune is $500 including dyno time and tune, but changes later are $100. Hopefully I can get a little better deal though.

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Last night I pulled all my air inlet ducting apart so I could put my steering shaft back where it's supposed to be. I put it on one tooth off when I first reassembled it so my steering wheel was crooked.

I also retightened all my supercharger bolts and clamps. The clamps did need snugged down.

The weather outlook for Saturday isn't too good, but I'll be watching the weather in case it's dry so I can get to the track. I love the 50 degree temps they're calling for.

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I had to work yesterday until "noon" which means I'm there until about 12:45. I called the track, and despite COLD temps and a threat of rain all day, they were open. So I raced home, grabbed a few things and split for the track. A quick call to 32V got him headed in that direction too.

It was about 40 degrees at the track and the air was pretty damp. When we got there they were running slick tire cars in one lane and street tires in the other.... basically, there might as well have been water in the street tire lane it was so bad. 32V went so far as to force himself into the good lane just to make one decent pass. On the slippery slime, the best I was able to get was a 14.87 at 92.5 mph with a best 60' of 2.38. I basically couldn't give it full throttle until I was about 100' out and then in would still spin, including a decent amount of spin on the 1-2 shift also. Ugh.

So we waited around awhile as the slick cars were going home in hopes to get a pass in the good lane. Around 3:45 it started to drop a light wet snow. As soon as I saw the flakes I jumped in the truck and raced up to the line with 32V in tow and they let me make a pass in the good lane. I was still a little leary of the track so I didn't attack as much as I would like. But as soon as I realized there was no spinning, I put it to the wood and it stuck. See timeslip below (32v took the crappy lane and turned his traction control on):

I think there's more time in the 60' and also in my shift points, but basically the truck is about a second quicker and around 6mph faster than it was. I think once I dial it in, take the spare and jack out, there's a 14.20 in there. At least now I can keep up a little better with some of the more modern cars (or 'Smokers vette and mostmints Impala).

What I'm going to do is start looking for a deal on a set of drag radials. I have some for the Caddy, but they're REALLY tall. I'd like a set that are the right height that I could mount up on stock wheels so it still looks stock on the outside. I am also considering a set of "supercharged" badges like the ones on 32V's car. I'm not big on advertising, but I think they'd look pretty cool (or maybe just one on the tailgate).

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

So I ran my 14.2x run which was cool. Since then I found a used set of drag radials right in Perry for $75 on Mustang wheels (which are for sale). I haven't mounted those on anything yet. I hope to find a pair of 15" aluminum S-10 rims at Canfield.

Yesterday a wierd thing happened though. I was coming home from the mall with my wife and just after getting off the freeway, the S-10 died. It seemed like it either lost spark or was getting no fuel. I tried to restart right away and it kicked over but then stalled right away again and wouldn't restart. After sitting for about two minutes the truck restarted and I took off again. Another couple minutes down the road it stalled again but restarted right away. Another couple minutes later it died again.... more coasting. This time I had to wait about three minutes and it restarted (I was only about 1/2 mile from home) and I raced home and made it.

All I can figure is coil or fuel pump. The MSD stock replacement coil is exactly two years old and the fuel pump new just before the supercharger. I ordered a new coil today and will have it tomorrow. I think I'm going to replace the fuel pump for sh*ts and giggles just to make sure that I cured the problem. The fuel pump should still be under warranty since it's only four month old.

More to come...

-BP
markss327

Post by markss327 »

I concur with your diagnosis. Spark and fuel.
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
300hp - a bit much for FWD!
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Double-check any grounds that you might've disturbed. If it's "cutting out" as opposed to "petering/sputtering out", I would suspect electrical before fuel.

-Dave