2003 S-10

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

markss327

Re: 2003 S-10

Post by markss327 »

Man, that is a tight fit.
And to think a 350 will fit in there too. Talk about 10lbs of you-know-what, in a one pound bag... :lol:
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
300hp - a bit much for FWD!
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

So I pulled the headers back out to do some slight modifications and a little clean up. These headers had some useless emissions stuff for an older year, but was not necessary for my application. So I cut the useless pieces off, and with my newfound welding skills, was able to fill the holes quickly.
As of right now, the headers have been mounted on with a nice layer of black high temp RTV. Somehow I lost the allen wrench I custom cut, somewhere in the bowels of the truck which made installing the last couple bolts a little tough, but I got it done. I'll start putting the rest of the stuff together tomorrow, instead of going racing. Hopefully another couple hours will get it done. I still have the spark plugs, new wires, wire looms, air intake, and misc brackets to put back on, and also connect the headers to the y-pipe.
I'd like to drive it this weekend, maybe lay a little rubber...

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I didn't lay any rubber, but I did drive it. Doesn't seem to be a huge difference, but it also was hot and humid all weekend, so that didn't help much. I do have a very intermittant rattle.... the only thing I can figure, is the infamous lost allen wrench, fell down inside my Y-pipe: :shock: I never did find it, so. The rattle will have to get much worse and more often for me to cut the pipe to get it out of there.
I think it actually quieted the truck down slightly (which has happend on the Caddy and the Saturn). Bottom end power seems about the same, but I think the midrange torque is better. We'll find out later in the year at the track.

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

While tiresmoke was down, I decided the truck was overdue for a serious detailing so I tried something I've never done on my own vehicle: clay bar. So I started by clay barring the whole truck, the dirtiest part came from the tailgate. Then I used the high speed buffer with a show glaze to smooth it out a little more. Then I used the orbital buffer to lay a coat of teflon wax over the top. What a difference! This thing is SMOOOTH! It actually looks like it did when it was new (maybe better). I'm getting closer, I think, to trying to sell the trans am so I can focus more on the Caddy and the S-10. I do have plans for both, and the money and time from the trans am would help me work on those two that I care more about. Here's some pictures of the finished product.

-BP

Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Nice truck!! Reminds me of one I bought new in '85. It was two-tone red and black short bed with sport trim. Immediately had a black tonneau cover and moon roof installed. 2.8L V6 with 5-speed. It was a good looking, fun truck, even with the small engine. Thought that a SFC would work real nice in there but never did it. When I was done with it I sold it to my #1 son. After a few NY and VT winters it rusted away. Hmmm. :idea: When the Mav is done, if it ever is, a built S10 PU might be a fun replacement for the Explorer.
Maverick
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

So yesterday I sent my money to purchase a Wynjammer Supercharger for my S-10. It seemed to be the best way to get lots of power for not a ton of work. I thought about a V8 or a big cam swap, but ultimately to maintain driveability, and not go through LOTS of custom modifications, the supercharger seemed the best fit for me, not to mention it's the most power for the $. It's a bolt on deal that will get me over 7psi and comes with everything including the tuned computer that should be matched to my truck and the mods that I already have done. It will also come with bigger injectors.

The only other thing I should have to buy is an in tank fuel pump with more flow and a different set of spark plugs.

Eventually I'll put the Covette servo upgrade in the trans to help deal with the extra power. According to what I've read and other guys I've chatted with, I should be pretty close to the 13's after I'm done. That would be about 1.2 seconds faster. We'll see!

-BP
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

SSSUUUU WWWEEEEETTTTTTTT
Matt Sutter
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I've made some progress. The supercharger is here and spread all over my bench. I have already purchased and installed the 255lph fuel pump necessary to feed the boosted motor. I've had to use the truck quite a bit this week to move lawn mowers, and tomorrow to get a lawn roller amongst other things so I didn't tear it apart yet. I'm off on Monday so I hope to tear into it on Sunday some and get serious about it on Monday. If it takes me the rest of the week to finish, that will be OK. Hopefully by next weekend, I'll be boosted. I included a before picture. Here's some pics:

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I took today off from work since I worked on Saturday, and I have a lot of vacation time. So I started into the supercharger project. Shortly thereafter Fred32v showed up to help.

There was a lot of stuff to do and undo before I could really get into the installation. I had to install the new colder spark plugs which is a BIG deal with the headers in the way. That took almost two hours. I had previously installed underdrive pulleys, but these won't work with the new pulley setup, so we had to put it back to stock. 32v took care of the alternator pulley and I got the crank pulley put back.

I installed a throttle body spacer too, but with the new pressure bonnet that sits on top of the throttle body, there wouldn't be enough hood clearance, so that had to come off too.

Also, I ordered a new "spider" assembly which is the a new fuel distribution block with 35lb injectors attached as opposed to the 19lb stock injectors. I had to remove the plenum from the top of the intake manifold to access this.

We also got the supercharger mounting bracket installed and the old intake tube removed, but that's about as far as we got.

Hopefully as the week progresses, I'll be able to start with the reassembly and maybe have it running by next weekend.

Here's a couple shots:

What's interesting about the "new" fuel injectors is that the squirter is right at the end and squirts directly into the cylinder. The one I took out shoots down a LONG tube before it gets into the cylinder. From what I understand, this is an emissions type design which is designed to be "clean" but not very efficient. The "new" one is actually an old design.

(where do all these parts go??)

-BP
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Fun afternoon. Even got to use one of those Sear Strap wrenches when BP was removing the underdrive crank pulley.
Notice the modified radiator hose. This S/C system looks well thought out. All great fun. Can't wait to see it run.
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

So everything is installed and I had the video camera rolling when I went for my first start up. Unfortunately, it didn't start... I blamed it on a slightly low battery so I charged the battery all day and when I got home from all the day's Easter festivities, I gave it another shot only to find the same problem.

What it would do is pop like it wanted to start, but only when I first hit the key. The more I crank it, the less chance it would fire. Knowing I was very careful when reinstalling all my plugs, wires, etc, the only other thing that in my mind was in question was the "custom" PCM. Since it's pretty easy to swap, I plugged the stock one back in just to see what would happen. Go figure, it started right up! Now there's no way I'd be able to drive it like this since the stock PCM wouldn't even be close to dealing with all that extra fuel and air that's coming in, but at least I know that what I did was right.

There'll be no doubt in anyone's mind as I drive down the road that this truck is blown. She's a whistler!

I have an email into the computer guy, so hopefully I can get this resolved this week and be driving by the weekend. In the meantime I'll get my boost gauge mounted and everything else buttoned up so all I have to do is drive it when the computer gets fixed.

I'll send a video once it's all done. It's a tight squeeze.

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

The guy (Bryan) from PCMforless.com has been pretty prompt in getting back to me. The initial issue with is computer not starting the truck was that the security code needed to be reset which turned out to be something I could do on my own. After doing that, the truck started right up. So after running it in the garage for several minutes to make sure nothing was leaking, I took it for a drive.

I was able to get the supercharger to get to 5psi, but it was a struggle since it's running SOOOO RICH it's unbelievable. Under light load it runs and drives ok, but get closer to 3/4 throttle and it starts to fall on its face and sets the check engine light to flashing and throws black smoke like a diesel.

The pcm guy says the flashing light is a misfire, and thought it might be a plug or plug wire issue, so I rechecked that tonight and all was well. I think the misfire is because there's too much gas and it's putting out the fire.

I sent him another email asking that if I get it to his Stow, OH location, will he be able to check the tune there, and if he intends to charge me any more $$$. If that's the case, I'll just drop it at Hutter's place and have them get it right.

Unfortunately, the guy I'm talking to is in Indiana, PA, which is about two hours away. At this point, I'm not even sure the truck would make it that far.

At least I know the supercharger part seems to work. Hopefully I can get this tune figured out quickly so I can move on to getting the Caddy going.

-BP
VeeDub

Post by VeeDub »

looking forward to see this
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Misfire sounds like bad plugs or maybe the gap is too tight, hmmmm.
.030 when .038 to .040 was recommended.
I think I'd mention that gap to the tuner before he starts just to make sure its ok.
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Can you put the stock PCM in, take off the supercharger belt and drive it where it need t ogo?
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]