2003 S-10

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Basement Paul

Re: 2003 S-10

Post by Basement Paul »

So much for this week... Today Dusty called me to inform me that the truck starts and runs, but wont go into gear. Any gear. After some deliberation we believe it's the new torque converter. After hearing this, I started to question myself so I called TCI with the part number to explain my scenario. He immediately told me that the converter I purchased would not work. The problem being that my S-10 has a smaller input shaft and it's not spinning the pump. This, of course, would explain why the truck won't move. The good thing (if there is one) is that the TCI guy told me that most likely all the parts involved should still be in good condition as there's most likely no contact at all right now with the smaller input shaft, so my current trans and new converter should not be filled with metal parts.
So now for the bad news. I'm pretty much stuck buying a new transmission. I'm also going to go with a torque converter recommended by Hutter's. The new converter and trans should both be able and willing to deal with my motor even if I put a blower on it down the road. It's a pretty bad time for me to have to swallow this lump, but it's got to happen. The mistake is all mine as I misunderstood what parts matched with what. Either way it seems I was putting a new trans in, it just would have been cheaper if I did it when I had it all apart. Lesson learned I guess.

So now I'm looking at most likely another month. On the plus side, I did get to hear it run. It sounds pretty badass. Another sad thing is that on the very first start up, my brand new muffler blew all it's packing out the tailpipes. This is a $130 muffler... wtf? I hope my struggles here will slow down once the new trans is in.

Most likely will be another couple weeks before any posts on this.

-BP
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

Live and learn. I feel your pain.
Matt Sutter
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I stopped in at Hutter's again and the trans and converter are on order. Two weeks before they show up, so my month long estimate is pretty close.

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I saw my new transmission last Friday. The converter has been shipped but was not there yet. Probably tomorrow or Wed. I'll stop in again next Friday and push for a completed date. Realistically, I'm thinking the end of the month. To be honest, I missed having a toy this weekend a lot. I saw a TON of cool iron cruising around since the weather was so beautiful. To get my car fix, I rebuilt Tony's carburetor today. It helped a little.

-BP
Blue_69_malibu

Post by Blue_69_malibu »

Band of Brothers, BP. Many thanks! :)
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I ordered these yesterday:

http://www.calvertracing.com/store/calt ... p-119.html

They're supposed to be pretty sweet. I'll let you know.

-BP
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

I considered them for the Maverick but went with the cheaper slapper bars. The Maverick was really squirrelly on burn outs. Often wondered if it would have gone straighter with the Caltracks.
Maverick
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

Did you order the hat and t-shirt like the other people who
purchased your cal tracks did???

GM
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I'll order them if they really work. Everyone says they're better than the Slide-A-Links by Competition Engineering. Lakewood used to make an S10 specific traction bar like the ones I had on my Trans Am, and if they still made them, I might have considered it. Lots of MUCH faster trucks and cars than me use them and swear by them. I hope they're right!

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

The converter didn't show up until today. UPS Ground from Texas... Sounds like it should be getting worked on next week sometime. Here's to hoping.

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I finally got to see the S10 the other day fresh off a dyno tuning session, which means it's almost done. I was told there's still some street tuning to do and a couple things they need to change back that they do for dyno sessions, and it should be done. Trevor told me he was doing 2nd gear pulls instead of 3rd because 3rd get pulls tend to get things a lot hotter and he was afraid of heat melting parts. 3rd gear pulls apparently get better dyno numbers but ultimately aren't any different tune-wise. That being said, he said I was getting around 325 to the wheels and when they did a simulated 1/4 mile run on the dyno, it was at 12.5 @ 111mph with a 2.02 60'. Those are numbers very close to what I anticipated. I'm hoping with a little traction and some good air to get somewhere around 12.29...

He said it's shifting close to 6800rpms! That's pretty cool and I bet sounds sick. I plan to go to a 3.73 / 4.10 gear as right now 112mph is 5500 rpm and I'm running a 3.42 gear, so there's plenty left in RPM zone to get down the track. The difference at the end of track between a 3.42 and a 4.10 is about 1000rpm and the 3.73 gets it down to about 500rpm. If I ever put a blower on it later, it wouldn't finish in 3rd IMO with a 4.10, so that might sway my decision.

I'm just anxious to get it back and just put some miles on it and maybe get a pass or two before the year is out.

-BP
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Lookin' GOOD!!!
Maverick
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

As I have thought throughout the whole process, your numbers are pretty
similar to what the Vette puts down. If I had to put money down, I'd bet that
your times will be closer to 12.30's than 12.50's. You have way more motor
than the Vette does and a higher stall. If it'll launch, I can't see why you
won't be faster than my 12.33. The only things that I think hurt the S-10
are weight and aerodynamics. Good Luck!!!

GM
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

The truck is finally home! It runs and drives great. I only really had one chance to get on it from 55 and it downshifts and pulls like crazy. First gear in it's current form is worthless. Nothing but spinning. I have a laundry list of things to get after next to get it right, but as it sits, I can turn the key and drive it the way it is. I'm short on time but will keep posting.

-BP

PS- The cruise works too!
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

BP stopped by the shop on his way home from picking up
the S-10.... It sounds HOT!!!!

GM