2003 S-10

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Basement Paul

2003 S-10

Post by Basement Paul »

I don't think I've ever posted anything about my S-10, since it's an ongoing project that I'll never get rid of.

Anyway, here's a couple pictures of it's new alternate look...

-BP

wxo

What's new?

Post by wxo »

For those of us not intimately familiar with your S10. What's new? It looks the same to me. How about some arrows and text on the pictures to help us detect the changes.
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

New rims and tires. The fronts are skinny - pro street kind of look.

Last time you saw it it had stock alloy wheels on it.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
wxo

Post by wxo »

Oh. :shock:
markss327

Front skinnies ??????

Post by markss327 »

I, dono. The jury is still out.
I'm still on the 'Pro Touring' look. The Smoker has the look, and stance I like. Although, I like your choice of wheels! Weld Drag Stars?
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
300hp - a bit much for FWD!
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

These are "Pro Stars", which are the street legal version of the same thing. I've always loved fats & skinnys. The only other car I had a similar arrangement on was the Pinto wagon with the slots.

-BP
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

At what point in its life will a V8 swap be considered? Or maybe a turbo/blower, instead.

-Dave
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

How about a lowering kit? And side exit exhaust?
Matt Sutter
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I don't see myself lowering it any more. The factory did a good enough job of that for me, this way I can still tow and use the truck correctly, not to mention I don't think I'd like it riding any harder than it does already.

A supercharger would be the way I would go with it for any serious increase in power, although this would be when I become independently wealthy, but I will keep doing small things every year.

Side exhaust....hmmmm. Probably only if I had one on each side.

-BP
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

One of my sales people in Miami has a 1970 Chevy pickup truck and he had a NASCAR style exhaust put on it. Both exit the passenger side. BAD A$$.
Matt Sutter
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

It's been awhile, but this year's performance inhancements included a power programmer, and the new Y-pipe. The programmer helped me keep my speedo in line from one set of tires to the next, get rid of the speed limiter, tighten up my shifts and control when it shifts, and apparently give it a power tune that's probably good for a couple few HP.

I also removed the throttle body plate, and ground off a 1" lip on the bottom side of the plate that was designed to smooth out throttle tip in. After grinding it off, throttle response was a ton better, but I don't think I got more than a couple HP from that, but the power does come on a lot quicker.

The last thing I did was the Y-pipe, which is the biggest improvement of the year. I went from what is about 1 5/8" at it's best position, to something close to 1" where it was squashed for some reason, to a full 2", and a nice collector where both pipes were put together into a single 3" just before the cat (which is already 3"). I also removed a preconverter that apparently doesn't do much but make it quieter and slow the truck down.

Some of this had to overcome a HD hitch assembly that is permanently fixed under the rear bumper in case I need to two some stuff.

This years improvements have accounted for about .45 sec faster for the year.

Next years tentative plans are for a 4.10 gear and maybe a set of headers.

-BP
Fred32v

Hmmm!

Post by Fred32v »

This S10 is lower than most S10's, ordering this 2003 S10 with the "Xtreme" suspension package from the factory
without the silly graphics was a good way to get the truck closer to the ground without messing up the ride.
Funny thing, I thought my 1980 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon with the Oldsmobile 455 was pretty fast,
would you believe it could not quarter with this 6 cylinder 4.3 liter pickup. :o
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

With this last trip to the track, the truck is now faster than my '87 Trans Am, my AWD turbo Laser, the '89 5.0 LX Mustang, and is closing in on the best times from my Pinto. I'll be satisfied once it's solidly in the 14's in true street trim. Then it will be time to hit the bottle. :twisted:

It will be even better once it's actually paid off...

-BP
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

You remind me of Rob Shaw now.
Matt Sutter
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Somehow, I think you're making fun of me...

-BP