My Megasquirt Project

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

TireSmoker
Site Admin

WOO HOO!

Post by TireSmoker »

It works! Megasquirt can control the ignition timing! There's a slight problem with the RPM signal dropping out below 600-700 rpm, so I can't get it to idle right yet, but if the throttle is slightly cracked, it stays running. That's what that piece of metal is by the air filter. It oughta be fun come spring time when I can finally get all of this dialed in.

-Dave
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

I got my repaired or replaced LC-1 controller back from Innovate today. Looks all new to me. I hope it stays working this time.

I also picked up this little piece on ebay for $25 -- it allows a regular GM TBI to bolt onto any Holley 4-bbl intake. I have two TBIs -- the $5 unit from Carlisle, and the one I just removed from the '88 GMC. This could allow almost plug-n-play EFI on the Vette in the future.

-Dave
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Well, since the Chevelle is back to running, I figured I would start posting back to my Megasquirt thread.

Right now, the car is running on MS-II (1.3, early MS-II w/ green PCB) using a 2.2 main board. The distributor is an MSD Pro-Billet, connected to my 6AL via the green/purple wires.

When I had the carb on it a couple weeks ago, I had some limited success with the ignition control -- limited in the sense that MS was controlling the timing, but that the advance it said I should have didn't match what my timing light said.

Part of me wants to get this figured out, but another part of me just wants to get the car running and quit screwing around with it (ie- go back to using standard initial/mechanical advance)

I also need to get the LC-1 hooked up again. I had sent the unit back to Innovate for repair/replacement (looks like they replaced) and the next time I went to use it, it was giving me a bad-sensor error. I bought a replacement sensor but wanted to wait until everything was ready to run before installing it.

The saga continues..

-Dave
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

I bought a new MS-II processor, cost $90. This is the 2.x version with the blue PCB. It has either 2x or 4x (i forget) the amount of RAM as my original MS-II 1.x (green PCB), and all the latest code is developed for this version. The new code also makes the spare I/O ports on the processor very accessible and configurable. I setup one of the ports to control my electric fan. (turn on at 187, turn off at 185). Another port could easily be setup for controlling lockup on a 700r4.

After getting the Megasquirt going initially and putting in a drivable tune using my trusty narrow-band O2 sensor, I switched over to my LC-1 wideband. It appears to be working as it should. I see why people like these things. When it works, it seems to provide good information. I just hope it stayts working this time. I'll try to post a screenshot soon.

I still don't have the ignition control working yet. It's frustrating to not have it working, as it is the last piece I need.

-Dave