1995 Astro van from Ohio

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

ttamrettus

1995 Astro van from Ohio

Post by ttamrettus »

Well here's how my weekend went.
Dad called and he was going to trailer down the new kitchen for our investment property.
He left at 4am Saturday. Atlanta is about a 12 hour drive. So I got a sitter for Alexandru and went to work on other stuff at the house (so I could be ready when he showed up). He called around 4pm and had car trouble since Columbus, Ohio. Basically it was running on 4 or 5 cylinders and died everytime you would stop. He replaced the plugs on the road with no success.
When he finally arrived 5 am Sunday we unloaded the cabinets at my current house (less stopping off freeway).

He was going to drive it home "as is" but we couldn't even get it out of the driveway now. So we bought a compression gauge and 0 psi on 5 cylinder. Anti freeze looked good, so we decided to tear into it. 4 hours later the upper half the engine was apart and there was a NICE burn hole in exhaust valve. Upon inspection the rest of valves looked BAD. They are supposed to be flat BUT they were actually concave. So I called around and Advance Auto said they could have us complete heads by 7:30 am Monday for $255 each. So we ordered them. We waited until 8:30 am Monday at the parts store and no delivery driver. So we left and told them to call us.

Since it was now Monday we called around some more and I found a head shop that had them on the shelf for $135 each. So we drove 2 hours round trip to get these heads. By now it's 11:30 am and still no call from Advance Auto. So we stopped by the store for a refund, STILL no delivery driver. The guy was like 4 hours late, the excuse? "new driver, got lost"...... HELLO, 4 hours? Anyway they gave us a full refund.

So we went back and started the re-install, by 5pm Monday afternoon, the van was up and running like a top. So we washed up and all went to dinner. Dad left back for Ohio this morning at 3:30am.

Man that was a lot of wrenching in 2 days. Fun, but a lot of work. There is not much room in the Asto van engine compartment, and we didn't have any air tools. It's a great feeling when something starts up the first try after being apart.

Some data on the van.
1995 Astro Vortec 4.3
white exterior, burgundy interior
Purchase $2000 with 115,000 miles, like 2 years ago.
Now has 163,000 miles, VERY little repair so far other than brakes etc.
163,000 miles on oem valves, not bad.
It is time for a timing belt too though.

You know Dad, drives the vans until the wheels fall or rust off.

Dad, Alex and Nardaliz.

Matt Sutter
markss327

Post by markss327 »

Interesting - my dad has also had 2-3 Astro's. He'd buy 'em used at around 50k, and run 'em into the ground. His only complaint was center links, and brakes. The 4.3 and 700r4 or 4L60e ran for ever. He never experienced any major engine failures.
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
300hp - a bit much for FWD!
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

I'd have to say on average my father gets rid of them with around 200,000+ mile on them. The last one he gave me with 200,000 I drove for a bit and sold for $500 bucks (early last year). It was a 1987 or something I think. This is the first one that Dad bought that actually ran when he got it. Usually he gets them with a blown engine or trans for under $1500. He has another 1994 or so 4.3 sitting on the engine stand waiting for the next van. He is out of transmissions right now though, usually has one laying around too. So I look on Criag's list all the time for them. CHEAP ones.

He hauls all his saws, tools, construction materials around it. They get TORE UP.
Matt Sutter
Fred32v

Father and Son FUN!

Post by Fred32v »

Nothing like spending QUALITY Time with your Dad. I'd bet that he enjoyed that more than you did. Take your pleasure where you find it!
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

Yeah, I know it was cool. My Son and my Dad going to the cylinder head shop and picking up new heads (3 generations of Sutters). It was a good time. Hard work but a good time none the less.
Matt Sutter