1994 Camaro

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Basement Paul

1994 Camaro

Post by Basement Paul »

So now I own a 1994 Camaro. It's hidden at 32V's place until I sell the Honda (which I just lowered the price of in the autotrader).

Anyway it's a 3.4 with an auto trans. It's got the 16" alloys, fog lights, power windows and locks, cassette, and cruise.

Car runs fine, but I'm thinking will get a normal tune up. Neither fog light works, but one of them is physically broken, the other probably just a bulb. One headlight is out. Driver's side window motor is bad. Cruise doesn't work.

Car needs an interior detail for sure, and the outside could use a little help too (buffing). The nose has been spotted in a couple times, but it's not cracked or anything.

The motor leaks badly (oil) from the top of the engine. It's leaks down both sides of the car. After talking to Andy and Rick (ala Rick's Garage), we've isolated the leak down to plug in the block where a distributor goes (if the car had one). I guess the o-rings go bad. New O-ring is $1.20 and already in my desk. Hopefully I'll feel well enough to mess with the car tomorrow.

I get some clunking from the right front over bumps. I'm figuring either a strut or stabilizer link.

The tires won't make it in the snow either, so I'm going to need a price on some 235/55-16's, in a real inexpensive all season tire.

I did have the check engine light come on after getting off the freeway, but as soon as I shut the car off at dad's, and restarted it, the light was off. Can't be major.

Purchase price was $1000. But upon arriving home, I gave the title a look and found out Salvage title.... I bought the car from a friend's sister, so I'm trying to seek a little compensation since they never said anything about a marked title. If I don't get anything back, it won't be the end of the world, just not as good of a deal as I hoped.

Pictures to come.

-BP
MostMint

Re: 1994 Camaro

Post by MostMint »

Basement Paul wrote:Neither fog light works, but one of them is physically broken, the other probably just a bulb.
I can't understand how these always get broken. Mine were like that too - new bulbs and replacement lenses I put on 5 years ago are not broken and still working. Mine even survived a fender cracker (it would have been a fender bender if the car had metal front fenders).
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I think my fogs were busted from the front end collision. They're not even completely broken, just need attention putting them back together in one form or another.

I got the oil leak fixed yesterday. Replaced the one inop headlight, did some headlight assembly custom mounting to compensate for crappy accident repair.

It needs a water pump now too...

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Yesterday got the exterior detailed. A high speed glaze job, and an application of Simoniz (teflon wax we charge $349 for), and that Camaro shines like crazy. I got the front seats scrubbed, the interior vacuumed, and partly through my application of armor all when a guy called about my Honda, so I had to leave. It was worth going home for because the guy is buying the vehicle. Now I'll have some money for repairs and tires (and some for the bank too).

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

So now it runs and drives!

I got the water pump replaced (and ruined the belt by not installing it correctly). New plugs and wires. Oil leak is remedied with the oil pump drive o-ring replacement. New tires courtesy of our hook up at Firestone. Fresh coolant.

I passed e-check yesterday too... barely. Seems my NO levels are pretty high. This is usually attributed to the EGR needing a good cleaning. I'm sure this is why my check engine light comes and goes.

The car runs great. The trans shifts smoothly with no slipping. With 151k miles there is no leakage on the driveway at all.

Plans still include new struts and shocks, new wipers, a good set of floor mats, and a front end alignment. Otherwise, we're good to go for wintertime travel.

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

So last Thursday 32v and me spent way too much time learning how to correctly install front struts on the Camaro. The rear shocks were cake. The car rides much better, but we found on the right front lower control, that the one bushing is in real bad shape, causing a small amount of instability. Plans to repair this are for Thursday.

New floor mats have been installed and the new wipers too. Now I'm finding out that when traveling at or over 80 mph causes the vehicle to overheat, but when I slow to 70, the car cools down ok. There is a lower spoiler under the front end that is missing from this car, that I'm sure is the cause because it is supposed to direct air into the radiator.

Eventually I'll have it almost done....

-BP
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Basement Paul wrote:Now I'm finding out that when traveling at or over 80 mph causes the vehicle to overheat
Hmm isn't that over the posted speed limits, or did you go that fast off road?

That air dam can't be more than $10-$15 at a junk yard.
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

If 32v and myself can get the front end work done tomorrow, and I can find one of those spoilers, I might have to take it down to 42 on Sunday to get a baseline on the car.

I got insulted the other day by some guy with a 442 that runs low 16's, when he was making fun of my "sports car". I haven't decided what to do about it yet, if anything. A lot of it will depend on the baselline numbers if I have to embarrass said 442 like I already have with my S-10.

-BP
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Basement Paul wrote:I got insulted the other day by some guy with a 442 that runs low 16's, when he was making fun of my "sports car". I haven't decided what to do about it yet, if anything. A lot of it will depend on the baselline numbers if I have to embarrass said 442 like I already have with my S-10.

-BP
I will be surprised if you break 16.50. You might not even break 17.0. I think you better worry about the animuL, not the 442.
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I know I lost one Cheeseburger Challenge to Mark's Ram, but I'm willing to bet another cheeseburger to run against the Lumina heads up with the Camaro. Since I put the vintage Camaro badges on the fenders, I gained at least 20hp.

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

The system kept telling me that my message didn't go through....
Last edited by Basement Paul on Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Ditto.
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

So the right front lower control arm now has all new bushings and lower ball joint. The Camaro badges have been added (pictures coming), and the EGR valve has been properly cleaned and has now kept the Service Engine Soon light off for more than three days (YEAH).

It might need a little more suspension work, but for now the car will work just fine.

I just ordered the front air dam, and am kind of hunting for fog lights.

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

It's amazing how well the new air dam works. Before having it on, the temperature would cycle up and down all the time, with the electric fans always coming on and off. Tonight I put it on the car, and amazingly enough, the air is directed through the radiator, and under a normal drive for about 10 miles, the temperature stayed steady, and the electric fans never came on. 80 mph, here I come...

-BP