Alaskan Asphalt Shredders

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

AKROVER

Alaskan Asphalt Shredders

Post by AKROVER »

OK, not really high performance, but my project yesterday was to install new tires on both vehicles - Land Rover Discovery and Saab 9-2X (non turbo). Up here the prevailing wisdom is studs, even with awd. Above the 60th parallel, we are allowed to have studs September 15 through May1. We haven't had any snow yet, but now I have tires with teeth. They make some neat sounds going down the road and I bet they would be good at the track until the triple digit speeds eject the studs from the tires. This is a new experience for me. Come on, snow (for the skiing, not the driving)!
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I had studs on my first Mustang. It would throw sparks when I did donuts... and I've heard the studs blow out at speed, sounds like someone whacks your wheel well with a tack hammer. Not to mention on dry pavement, you pretty much loose all handling characteristics of the vehicle.

But AWD with studs should get you just about anywhere you want.

-BP
markss327

Post by markss327 »

My first 'dealer new' car was a '78 Datsun B-210 hatchback. I bought a winter set of tires for her just to save the alloys. The winters were bias-ply, and I had the snows studded. Excellent on ice. However, it would leave funny scratch marks in the pavement.... and throw sparks. Looked neat at night!

Haven't run any studded snows since.....
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

How cold is it now? Do you need those studs yet?
AKROVER

Post by AKROVER »

Highs still hitting the 40's. First snowfall is overdue. The mountains have snow on top and the snowline gets lower almost every day.
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Post a picture of your car, and your scenery Tim. I'd love to see them both.

-BP
AKROVER

Post by AKROVER »

Sorry it took me awhile to get this off camera through computer onto host and posted here. I actually had to drive about 10 minutes up the road to get a picture like this so this isn't quite what things look like at my new home :lol: Its a good thing I put the studs on. They really do plow only when they get around to it and they don't use salt. We have had some wicked cold then a little rain and now were back to cold with a few inches of fresh snow. The roads are like frozen slush, but just the main ones. The side street I live on could be used for ice skating.

There are a lot more pictures (as well as a bunch of bizarre stuff) on my website at http://www.rinestock.com/~knapp