Cadillac

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Basement Paul

Cadillac

Post by Basement Paul »

Well, at this point, everyone knows the status of the Caddy. I think this Thursday, I'm going to try and get the electric fans installed, and eliminate the clutch fan.

I am also pretty serious about taking some of the money from the sale of the Honda Passport (whenever I sell it) and buying the necessary camshaft and accessories to get the Caddy well into the 13's.

I also have a line on a 3.21 rearend for it which I'm going to call on today.

With the impending 406 Nova, the injected Chevelle, and the 12 second Firebird, I'm feeling left behind.

The only sad part is that by spending my money on performance parts, I won't be able to buy a winter beater and the S-10 will get forced into all year duty, which is something I'm not looking forward to. But sacrifices need to be made in the name of going fast...

-BP
ttamrettus

left out?

Post by ttamrettus »

You're feeling left out.
I don't even want to hear it.
I'm dying down here.
Matt Sutter
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Yesterday I got the majority of the mounting done for the electric fans. With the grill removed I was able to fit the larger of the two fans up against the radiator and the smaller fan dropped in. Since I only have a cordless drill, the batteries died before I had a chance to finish drilling all my brackets out.
I'm going to try and finish that part tonight so I can start wiring. The large fan I found, is wired as a two speed fan, so with an extra switch, I should be able run it on high or low. Plus the smaller fan will work nice at the track for cooling purposes.

-BP
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

What did the 2-speed fan come out of?
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I bought it at Carlisle last time we went. The shroud that came on it said it was from a 3.8 GM car. It is a dual fan set up with one big and one little fan. The big fan has some small contraption hooked to it that I'm sure somehow is the device that makes it two speeds.

I'm guessing it's from an Olds 88 or something FWD and full sized since the two fans are actually slightly wider than the radiator on my Caddy.

I finished the project yesterday and everything seems to be good. It wasn't as easy as I hoped it would be, but the end result is more than satisfactory.

I put the switches for the high speed fan and the small fan inside the car, and I put the switch for the low speed fan under the hood for track duty.

Now the only thing left is to see if it will actually make the car faster. It seems slightly better in the higher RPM range, but only the timer will tell.

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I guess the fans were successful producing my best time ever, and also breaking my rearend in the process. This winter will have to produce another rearend somehow.

-BP
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Basement Paul wrote:This winter will have to produce another rearend somehow.
My 2 cents: Sell Honda. Sell Camaro if needed and drive truck. Take extra cash and get a 9" or 12-bolt fitted for Caddy.
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I found a company listing third members for my car for $150. The call will be placed Monday between 12 and 6pm PST. I'm praying they have a limo or hearse laying around for the better gear ratio and I believe, beefier center section.

More to come....

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

The $150 rearend became a $250 rearend by virtue of switching from a standard 60 series (regular chassis) to a 75 series (limo, hearse) rearend thus netting me a 3.21 axle ratio and hopefully heavier duty setup. Also, the $250 rearend may become a $400 rearend if it is limited slip. Either way, I'll be in better shape. The guy has two 75 series cars from this vintage, so I know I'll be getting at least the 3.21. He said it would take about two weeks before it gets shipped because he's backed up, but if I'm running by the end of April, all will be good.

Installation is simple, it's just the parts that I need. We'll see at the end of the season if the rearend nets me a lower ET, because I don't want to break it until at least mid-October.

Wheels in motion.... :twisted:

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I tore the rearend apart yesterday, and did I ever break this thing! It's not the same break as last time, but it's ugly nonetheless. I'll post pictures in a day or two. Words can't describe...

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Keep in mind, I drove this rearend like this for over 10 miles (at about 20-25mph).

Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Let's see. 500 cubic inches, 500 foot-pounds of torque, 5000 pound car. Attempting to run 13's. Happens every time.
markss327

Post by markss327 »

Paul, A Dana 60 will give you all the gear ratios you could ever imagine..... AND be virtually indestructible.
You'll just have to sell the bike AND Camaro to pay for it. :)

Seriously- I hope the 75 series solves this little annoyance.
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
300hp - a bit much for FWD!
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

That's brutal.
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

The new piece arrived today! I'll be able to sleep easier at Carlisle.

-BP