1996 Collector Edition Corvette

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

wxo

Re: 1996 Collector Edition Corvette

Post by wxo »

MostMint wrote:Did you check the Gates part # online to see if it the right one? Like did Gates have the problem or did Home Depot have the problem in terms of the correct part # ?.
Yep. The GM number on the original hose is 10257252. On Rockauto, Gates lists their #22664 with Alternate/OEM Part Number 10257252 so I ordered Gates #22464 from Home Depot to save some cash. It is not the same as the original and will not fit. I can just bring the hose with me the next time I go to Home Depot and return it. I now have a GM brand hose with the original part number coming from ebay. (hopefully)

Did you find similar rusting around the grounding points on your C4's?
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

The rust must be a byproduct of where the car was stored as mine does not have nearly as much surface rust on the frame and everything just unbolts. I’ve been cleaning contact points but found nothing like that so far
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
wxo

Post by wxo »

I started the engine again today. At first, it wouldn't fire up. Just on a hunch, I jumpered the new oil pressure switch and the fuel pump started immediately. When I hit the starter, the engine came to life. It appears as though the new oil pressure switch is bad. :(
In addition, the tapping noise from the engine was evident and did not go away as it warmed to operating temperature. At this point, I hope it is just a lifter, but I can be sure. I listened through the valve covers as best I could but could not identify a specific location for the tapping. At this point, I could use some tried and true diagnostic ideas to figure out what to do next regarding the tapping. I'm not at a point now where I am ready to start any more disassembly to chase the noise, but I'd like some food for thought for when the time comes.
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

I think it should be driven to try to free up the lifter before opening up anything.

If this sound is coming from the bearings there would be metal in the filter. if that filter is clean then that is not it.
-BP[/quote]
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

If this were me in your situation, WXO, I’d do an oil change before firing it again and
tear the oil filter apart looking for evidence. My guess is that a lifter is stuck and some
fresh oil (with maybe some SeaFoam or like) and a couple thousand miles will help the
situation out. I wouldn’t go and create a bigger project than necessary. I would get a
motor stethoscope and make sure it’s a lifter and not a main or rod, but I think it’s
important to remember that the car wasn’t parked because the motor was bad, it was
parked because of clutch issues. Keep on going! You’ll make a good car out of this, yet.

GM
wxo

Post by wxo »

Thanks guys. Good advice. I will drain the oil and check out the filter. Also, I read some very positive comments about Seafoam on Amazon. It's very highly rated. Can't wait to try it.
I think along with the tech advice, I needed a little psychological boost. I had just struggled through changing the slave and master clutch cylinders. Then I had to crawl under the dash to attach the clutch rod to the pedal. Somehow I managed to get the end of the rod on the pin on the pedal and when I tried to get the clip on the end of the pin, it slipped out of my fingers and disappeared. :shock: While I was under the dash, I noticed a vacuum hose that was nearly worn through from rubbing on the clutch pedal. I cut a section out of it and spiced it with a section of steel tubing and rerouted it. I'm sure that would have given me fits in in the not to distant future. So the beat goes on....
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

maybe a couple days off. The car will take as much work as you have time to put into it. Take 'em on one at a time.

Full restorations would take a lot longer this car still has a lot that is not requiring restore.
-BP[/quote]
wxo

Post by wxo »

Most likely, it will be a month or more off. We have some travel plans starting next week, including my trip to Carlisle.
I think a fresh start will be most welcomed.
wxo

Post by wxo »

I just had to know what was inside the oil filter so I removed it and cut it open for a look. It didn't occur to me until after I had it open, that I probably shouldn't have used a cutting disk to open it since I'm looking for metal shavings inside. Regardless, here's a video I made to give you guys a look. I've never had an opportunity to examine the inside of an oil filter for signs of problems, so I welcome any and all comments about what you see here. https://youtu.be/V4tDaOX5JmE
To give you some perspective, this picture shows what I observed. The oil from inside the filter is a cloudy brown color just like you see on the filter, while that on the dipstick is clear with only a very slight of color.
IMG_3732.JPG
The contrast shows really well how much contamination a filter removes from the oil. I see no good reason to change the oil at this point. I think I will just put on a fresh filter and call it good.
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

There would be little chips of metal between the pleats and or metal in the filter cup. We are talking very fine metal in the cup like grains of sand or smaller.

The big tells I discussed I can’t really see in the video
-BP[/quote]
wxo

Post by wxo »

I just examined between the folds with a lighted magnifying glass and I see zero debris of any kind. I'm discounting the chips in the filter cup because of the cutting wheel I used.
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

good. i am pretty confident the bottom end is good to go.

after 3-4 years of sitting I would change that oil though, for many reasons. when was it last changed, what kind of oil was used? IDK maybe you got service records from prior owner. I have no facts here - mine was full of water presumably due to leaving the hood open - but the same condensation situation for the fuel tank may have put some moisture in the oil.
-BP[/quote]
wxo

Post by wxo »

I forgot to mention that the seller told me he had changed the oil just before the sale. When I checked it then, it was crystal clear so I believe him. I was hoping to use the current oil for a short time. I want to add some SeaFoam to it to help clean things out and possibly stop the tapping noise. Then I'll do a fresh oil and filter change again.
wxo

Clutch bleeding

Post by wxo »

I've been dreading this for weeks now. Replacing the master and slave clutch cylinders was a very difficult job, but is it done. In preparation for the bleeding, of course, I was looking at various YouTube videos and stumbled upon this one. https://youtu.be/9EfhnhTKAFY You are going to love this guy from the beginning. About 4 min into the video he describes this procedure. Instead of using my mouth like he does, I decided to hook up my MitiVac to pull out the bubbles and it worked like a charm. No muss, no fuss and now in about 10 easy minutes I have a clutch pedal that works.8)
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

That is a great technique for sure. I just can't understand HOW it works and it's driving me nuts.

Liquid can't be sucked from a closed, constant volume system full of liquid. Somehow, as fluid/air is removed it has to be replaced or the volume of the system reduced. I have a couple of theories but no confidence in either.

Can anyone explain it?
Maverick