1996 Collector Edition Corvette

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

wxo

1996 Collector Edition Corvette

Post by wxo »

I picked up a non-running 1996 Collector's Edition Corvette today.

https://youtu.be/egqT1op2Qtg
IMG_3600.JPG
IMG_3601.JPG
IMG_3602.JPG
IMG_3603.JPG
IMG_3604.JPG
IMG_3606.JPG
IMG_3607.JPG
IMG_3608.JPG
IMG_3609.JPG
IMG_3610.JPG
IMG_3611.JPG
Basement Paul

Re: My 7th Vette

Post by Basement Paul »

Such an awesome car, and a convertible too. Love it!

-BP
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

I did a ride-along to get the car. It's really fantastic. I love it!! Looking forward to sharing in the fun.
Maverick
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

thats great!! So, what does non-running entail?

-Dave
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

Sweetness
Matt Sutter
wxo

Post by wxo »

TireSmoker wrote:thats great!! So, what does non-running entail?

-Dave
The seller tells me that it was running well 3 years ago when the clutch slave cylinder gave out on the road. It was brought home on a rollback and it has been under a cover in a garage for 3 years. CarFax tells me that it has logged only 742 miles in the last 14 years. It has almost 103K on it now.
First I'm anxious to hear the LT4 run.
I plan to drain the 3/4 tank of gas and give it some fresh gas, then pull the spark plugs and put some penetrating oil in each cylinder. Following that I will pull the plugs on the ignition and injectors before hitting the key and spinning the engine to get the oil circulating before I attempt to hook everything up and see what happens.
Restoring the clutch slave system to get it moving is next.
Then when it can move under it's own power, I need to be able stop it, so the braking system needs a lot of attention. The brake pedal has some firmness to it and seems to work to some degree, but I can see the rotors are rusty and I feel like I should go all through the system to get them right.
All this should keep me busy for some time.
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Common problems for C4 that have been sitting are bad fuel injectors and bad fuel pump. This one many not have been sitting long enough for those to be issues.

Seems to me that you could push in the clutch with the tranny in neutral and crank it over.

Fun project. The Craigslist ad was down last night so did not get specifics on the car including asking price.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
wxo

Post by wxo »

MostMint wrote:Common problems for C4 that have been sitting are bad fuel injectors and bad fuel pump. This one many not have been sitting long enough for those to be issues.

Seems to me that you could push in the clutch with the tranny in neutral and crank it over.

Fun project. The Craigslist ad was down last night so did not get specifics on the car including asking price.
The clutch is inoperable due to the bad slave cyl.

Here is the ad text:
Collectors Edition C4 Corvette convertible. Sebring silver, black leather interior, LT4 (Grand Sport motor), ZF6 manual transmission, and selective ride control. This car was packed with all the latest goodies of the day, and is the last of the corvettes before they switched to a transaxle.

The car was parked 3 years ago due to a failed slave cylinder, this is an external slave and can be replaced without dropping the transmission. The car has sat in the garage under cover since then, it has recently been moved to the carport and put up on ramps.

The car has new continental "extreme contact" tires 275/40ZR17 front and rear (matched size)

Brand new interstate battery, fresh oil change, a new air filter, and a set of plugs and a new serpentine belt in the cargo area. Will need the tank drained and whatever your favorite long term start-up procedure is, I am moving and no longer have the time or space to finish this up.

A VERY clean set of 1996 Corvette Factory Service manuals are included. This is the only set of manuals that cover the OBII C4 corvette.

3-small paint imperfections that I have seen, one small scratch on the nose, one chip on the drivers side rear view mirror, and paint work on the battery cover panel (typically damaged by unknowing mechanics).
Headlights need new pigtail connection to function (I manually flip them up and down for the few times I drove the car at night)
Offers not made in person will be ignored, bring cash, bring a trailer, leave with a clean, clear, notarized title.
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

A small project just made for you. What a great find! I'm looking forward to riding in it in Carlisle.
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
wxo

Post by wxo »

Carlisle is an unlikely hope. There's not enough time for me to get it running well enough and learn to trust it enough to travel to Carlisle. Maybe next year.
wxo

Re: 1996 Collector Edition Corvette

Post by wxo »

I siphoned the remaining gas from the tank yesterday. The gauge showed 3/4 full, but I pulled out only about 7 gallons of the 20 when full, so the gauge is reading incorrectly. Also, I saw a small amount of rusty sludge on the siphon hose when I pulled it out. I learned through YouTube videos that pulling the pump/sensor assembly is a piece of cake. I plan to remove the assembly and take a good look down into the tank and see if I can clean it out through the access hole. So now I believe that the sensor part of the assembly is bad. I don't know the condition of the pump yet. So it begins...

Also, I had saved a copy of the ad webpage before it was deleted , so I went back and pulled off the pictures most of you haven't seen. Here they are:
96 C4 from ad 1600x450.jpg
96 C4 from ad 2 600x450.jpg
96 C4 from ad 3 600x450.jpg
96 C4 from ad 4 600x450.jpg
96 C4 from ad 5 600x450.jpg
96 C4 from ad 6 600x450.jpg
96 C4 from ad 7 600x450.jpg
96 C4 from ad 8 600x450.jpg
96 C4 from ad 9 600x450.jpg
96 C4 from ad 10 600x450.jpg
96 C4 from ad 11 600x450.jpg
96 C4 from ad 12 600x450.jpg
96 C4 from ad 13 600x450.jpg
96 C4 from ad 14 600x450.jpg
96 C4 from ad 15 600x450.jpg
96 C4 from ad 16 600x450.jpg
96 C4 from ad 17 600x450.jpg
96 C4 from ad 18 600x450.jpg
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Yes you can clean the tank through the hole in the top after removing the fuel pump assembly. Once it dried out I got a shop vac hose in there to clean up the heavy stuff and the rest I did with paper towels and Windex
IMG_2984.JPG
You may be able to clean up the connections on the fuel measure sensor. If you decide to buy a replacement assembly, please hang on to the old one I would like a spare.
-BP[/quote]
wxo

Post by wxo »

I was wondering if it would be possible to get the sensor operating again. I think that may be all it needs. Have you ever attempted it?

Also... have you come up with a good way to flush the fuel lines before the startup? Maybe run the fuel pump using fresh gas and flush any debris back into the fuel tank by way of the return line?
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

My lines had rust in them, so I did a lot of flushing with them disconnected, blasting air - and water - through to get them cleaned out.

I doubt you will have that problem, so I agree pumping fuel through will get the old gas to come back to the tank. You will have to decide if you want the injectors opening while you are cranking to purge the lines. Mine has a way to run the fuel pump through the diagnostic port but I don't know if the later OBD2 cars had that. You might also consider disconnecting the lines from the fuel injector rail and using a bit of compressed air to force the fuel out of the lines. Would probably be a good idea to replace the fuel filter as well

As far as the sensor, yes I was able to get one of them working again. It had a break in the wire but it was near the end and I just put a small washer in the to bridge the gap to the open wire. It's just a glorified rheostat, so it has some bad or dirty connection somewhere. Best part is you can connect it outside the tank, and operate the float arm to see if it actually works. Mine would measure changes slowly (so it won't change when the gas is sloshing), so you'll have to be patient when testing it. Worst case if you break it you can get the whole unit.
-BP[/quote]
wxo

Post by wxo »

I opened up the Vette's gas tank this afternoon. It was not a pretty sight. I siphoned out about 3.5 gallons of gas, water, and rusty sludge.
The fuel pump hanger assembly was a rusty sludge covered mess. Now I understand why the gas gauge didn't work.
IMG_3618.JPG
IMG_3619.JPG
I put a rag under the Schrader valve on the fuel rail and rusty liquid came out.
IMG_3615.JPG
At the tank, the end of one of the lines looks like this:
IMG_3614.JPG
This is the bottom of the tank once all the water and gas were removed.
IMG_3621.JPG
I used rags to clean out the tank and it looks quite good now.
IMG_3622.JPG
I is obvious to me that these components haven't seen the light of day since the assembly line.
At this point I would welcome direction from Mostmint who has done this before. I need a good solid plan.