2018 GMC Terrain

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

GMJohnny

2018 GMC Terrain

Post by GMJohnny »

Out with the old, and in with the new (to me). I found a 2018 GMC Terrain with options
that I wanted and just under 3,000 miles at a dealership in Rittman, Oh. Tonight I did
the deal. Here’s a link to it at the dealership for as long as it stays up on the internet.
I’m pretty tired now, so i’ll add more details in the future.

https://www.premiergmc.com/VehicleDetai ... 4706944953

GM
GMJohnny

Re: 2018 GMC Terrain

Post by GMJohnny »

Some performance data:

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a1 ... st-review/

Notable: The previous owner ordered the 3.47 final drive ratio that is standard on the
1.5 turbo but an option with other engine packages.

Quarter mile time as fast as the Regal. Shows fuel economy @ 26 MPG highway (I’ll put
that to the test)

GM
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

4820 MIles.... A couple of weeks ago, I started “browsing” Facebook Marketplace for “GMC Terrain”.
Careful when you play around on the internet. I stumbled on a set of 19” factory take-off wheels... for
$200 including TPMS sensors). I had to buy them, because I want to run snow tires in the winter. A day later,
I found a set of 235/50/19 tires that were 99% tread... mounted and balanced for $345. This gets me a tires
& wheels that I like more than the 18’s for $545. Pretty cheap. Today I put them on the vehicle. After a test
drive, I can tell you that the shorter sidewall makes the car handle way better, and I like the look way better.
The plan worked.

GM
Before....
Before....
After....
After....
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

not sure what the plans are for the winter tires, but 18's are probably going to be cheaper than 19's - so you might want to check that out before you get another set of 19's
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

The 18’s that came off the vehicle have under 5k miles on them and they’re all seasons.
I purchased a set of used snows off Facebook Marketplace to mount on the 18” rims. I have
to make the swap over the summer. Unfortunately, I didn’t have to drive that much in the
snow with the tires that are on it to get an idea of how horrible they are in the snow. I had
it out a few times in AWD and it seemed ok. There is a train of thought that says to run these
one more winter because they won’t be worth anything used now anyway, then put the snows
on in the winter of 2022, but I have some thinking to do on that still. Either way, 18’s are
definitely a cheaper option to purchase new.

GM
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

got it.

if you want to get your money worth out of those 18's they should go back on right now and driver them all summer and use them up. You can stretch them to past Thanksgiving.

I wouldn't let a few hundred bucks of tires prevent me from running snow tires in the winter.
-BP[/quote]
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

^^ I get it. I just have to force myself to off the old tires with under 5k miles on them.

GM
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Amen. I have a stack of stuff in the basement I need to force myself to sell or pitch. The struggle is real!
-BP[/quote]
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

9267… Tiresmoke was down for a few days, so the date of post is after the actual date of work. Work was done on 6/9/21… got a routine oil change and had the Bluetooth speaker checked out because the voice receiver wasn’t picking up clearly causing a static sound to those talking to me on the phone. There was a service bulletin for this which was performed and solved the static issue. Posted are pics of dash with average speed and mpg since the car hit the streets.
Attachments
5DC97638-21E2-4D91-A437-92A2E9CBE887.jpeg
1C1E3015-3BBE-4ECA-88E5-216E7A25E1F4.jpeg
10F7CF25-4D3D-4B74-A3AA-045113938CA4.jpeg
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

Air intake — Before
Air intake — Before
Air intake — After
Air intake — After
K&N Filter
K&N Filter
Bad pipe — #1
Bad pipe — #1
Bad pipe — #2
Bad pipe — #2
New pipe installed
New pipe installed
15,650 …. So, I haven’t posted about the Terrain for a bit, but I’ve been working on it to see what
performance mods ( if any ) can be made to the vehicle. Basically, the only thing that I’ve found
was a computer program that boasts a 40 HP gain. It’s a bit pricey at $400, but not out of the question.
I did take it upon myself to do some mods that were a bit more old school. First, I put in a K&N air filter
and modified the air box to remove a minor restriction on the inlet side. These were pretty easy to do.
I also had a restrictive portion of the exhaust pipe replaced with 2.5” round pipe. Basically, the old pipe
went from 2.5” to 1.75” to go under the oil pan, then to 2.5” the rest of the way out. My pipe is now
2.5” the whole way back. There is a resonator that may be removed depending on what gains I get
at the track. Here are some pics of my work. I’m the only guy on the planet making a Terrain go faster!

GM
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

That's $10 per HP? You better jump on that! That's CHEAP!!

-BP
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

Basement Paul wrote:That's $10 per HP? You better jump on that! That's CHEAP!!

-BP
I want to do this in stages to see what each thing does. More than likely, that’ll be a
2022 investment, but we shall see.

GM
Blue_69_malibu

Post by Blue_69_malibu »

Did I mention that my boat has a 2.3 L Inline four cylinder....outboard?

It's crazy to think that motor is bigger than what is in some cars now....boosted or otherwise.

But that's where we're at, technology wise.

Cool stuff, JC.
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

16,359 …. Yesterday, I got my routine oil change done at the local GMC dealership. When I purchased the car,
I was told that it had a transferable maintenance plan on it, which basically covers oil changes through 45,000
miles or Sept. 2023. For some reason, my first oil change was on this plan, but somehow GMC decided that it
was no longer transferable and I got stuck with the bill. The guy at the dealership was cool and gave the oil
change to me at cost, which is what I would’ve for the parts at the parts store, but I was a bit bitter when I
left. I will admit that waiting at a dealership for an oil change isn’t something that I enjoy anyway, so from
here on out, I’ll do my own oil changes and they can be done on my timeline.

My 2.5” downpipe & K&N filter experiment seems to be netting some unexpected rewards. My fuel
economy has jumped a bit. Typical fuel mileage per tank is usually around 29 - 29.5. My last two tanks were
over 30, the second tank at 31.9. The second tank, I put 89 octane in and economy was better, so this tank I filled
with 93 octane. Of course, my mind keeps thinking that everything I do makes it faster, but I need the track to
verify this.

The pics posted are of actual mileage and average speed for the life of the vehicle. Average speed is
up as is the average mileage.

GM
Attachments
120BE014-32B5-49AF-AB01-19C4546B79FC.jpeg
A7C56B26-8B23-4D12-B574-8997BA63A172.jpeg
Blue_69_malibu

Post by Blue_69_malibu »

"Average speed is up as is the average mileage."

-The Cossick Mantra :D