2020 Ford Ranger #55

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Fred32v

Re: 2020 Ford Ranger #55

Post by Fred32v »

No doubt about it, when it's clean Black is the most awesome color!
The Ranger looked ok before it was washed, but now it's one sweet lookin' ride!
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

The Ranger turned 10,000 miles yesterday. So far it has been basically trouble free and has done a great job being a real truck. I regularly carry 1200-1500 lbs in the bed and it does an amazing job towing also. I've only had one tank under 20mpg and that was towing the Firebird to Mid-Ohio and back (19.9mpg).
I am contemplating getting the factory performance upgrade once I'm done with the storage bays. I've also considered buying a new Maverick too, but at their best will only tow 4000 lbs which won't pull a car. I like the slightly smaller size though. I'll probably just keep it as it really seems super capable for it's size, and with the tune should be in the 13s which is super strong.

-BP
Attachments
IMG_20220216_160224562.jpg
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Today the Ranger got a synthetic oil change (Mobile 1) at 11996 miles. It was about 5300 miles since the last one and since it's been working pretty hard lately, and it was nice out, I decided to get it done.
I recently bought a new MBRP exhaust for it also, but it's still in the box and probably will be until about May when I finish the storage unit project. According to the dyno specs, it should be good for 15hp and 15lbft. Plus it should sound a little better, but not loud in any way.

https://mbrpexhauststore.com/3-cat-back ... 2019-2021/

-BP
Basement Paul

Re: 2020 Ford Ranger #55 - UPGRADES

Post by Basement Paul »

So on Sunday morning I went to Kevin's to install the new MBRP exhaust. It went on as designed in a little more than an hour. The only issues with the install were that the band clamps were bent weird at the ends and I had to really crank down on them to be able to get them tight around the pipe. Then after I drove it a couple times I had to tighten them down again with a warclub to get them to finally be tight. I also had to trim a piece of steel off one of the side hangers that was hitting the frame. It sounds as expected with a little extra noise at idle and at WOT, but under normal cruising you hardly even notice, which is perfect. All by itself though, I didn't really feel much of a difference performance wise, but the mileage on the truck has already begin to get better, which I read would happen based on some owner's reviews.
Then today I went and bought a performance air intake kit from the hardware store, in the form of 2.5" shop vac hose. The stock factory air inlet at the airbox brings in fresh air, but is about half the size of the hose that takes the filtered air into the turbo system. So I figured if I just increase the amount of air going in, things would get better, and I was right. The truck feels WAY better now. So between the intake and exhaust, it's much happier IMO. We'll see what the tale of the timeslip says, but I'm expecting to be in the 14.1x's somewhere if I can still get it to hook up. Best so far was 14.44.
To make my little creation, all I did was poke a 1-7/8" hole in the box, then open it up slightly more with the die grinder, just enough for the flexible hose to go in. Then I cut about a 15" piece of hose and ran it to a place behind the headlight away from heat where it's getting basically fresh air, and put it all back together. Doesn't make any more intake noise, but I heard my turbo working under load for the first time, so I'm guessing it likes it. I wish it wasn't wet out today, cuz I couldn't keep traction anywhere in 2nd gear, and that's never been a problem before, even in the wet.
This should keep that pesky GMC Terrain off my back for awhile... :mrgreen:

-BP
Attachments
air intake 5-3-22.jpg
air intake 5-3-22c.jpg
air intake 5-3-22a.jpg
air intake 5-3-22b.jpg
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

I love inexpensive, improvised improvements!!
Maverick
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Somewhere along the line I acquired a shop vac hose with no relevant vac. It could have done the job maybe and got it out of the way. So it waits a while longer to meet its destiny lol.

Nice upgrades.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Today the Ranger got a fresh coat of wax. Yesterday I scrubbed the bed out and scrubbed the WeatherTech floor mats too. Both of things were overdue and it hasn't been waxed in over a year. What a difference! I also treated the tonneau cover since it's never been done. The truck will slide back into a much easier lifestyle now that the storage scavenging is complete.

-BP
Attachments
5-11-22c.jpg
5-11-22b.jpg
5-11-22a.jpg
5-11-22.jpg
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Almost a year since my last post. Recently turned 20k miles. I did reclean the interior since there was dog hair everywhere and the floor mats were a wintery mess. I re-sprayed the rusty parts of the frame and hitch that you can see with semi-gloss black. The summer tires went back on a few weeks ago too. It's due for an oil change at around 21k miles. So far it's been a good truck.

-BP
Attachments
5-5-23.jpg
20k.jpg
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Oil change today at 21005 miles. Still using oil I got from the Dave Bales collection. Last change was Quaker State, this time it's Mobil Synthetic. I'm super easy on this thing, and there's always about 30% oil life left, so I'm not too concerned about the brand of oil, as long as it's synthetic and the right grade, I'm good. It got a Motorcraft filter since Walmart had one in stock this time. Lubed all the hinges and locks, and topped off the washer fluid.
I was disappointed to find absolutely NO way to check the oil pressure on this thing. I went through a bunch of menus and nothing. So I got the book out to find out it literally has an idiot light, like a 70s car, and worry about it if that comes on. So sad that we're headed backwards with stuff like this.

-BP
Attachments
IMG_20230625_093647473_HDR.jpg