Avalanche Exhaust

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

markss327

Avalanche Exhaust

Post by markss327 »

Anybody that knows me, also knows how anal I can be, about how my vehicles sound, i.e., exhaust. How many muffler combos have been under the Nova? I stopped counting after three.

My Avalanche just hit 36k (warrantee expiration) and within 100 miles, the exhaust has been modified. The behemoth OEM muffler, now resides in my shed. In it's place, is a Summit 3in x 24in glass pack. Using BPs S10 as an example, (modded exhaust with NO muffler) I thought I could almost do the same. So, off I went to Mentor Discount Muffler. Off with the old, and in with the new. Well, the desired affect has been over done. She's loud. Nice idle, but any acceleration is, well almost obnoxious. It's louder than my Nova. But, I'll admit, at WFO @ 4800 rpm, she's sweet. 8)
Will it last? Probably not.
I'm currently congering up 'exhaust rev b'.
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
300hp - a bit much for FWD!
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

Mark,

Cool. For what it's worth you may want to go the Ostack route with the flomasters.

Any wav sound files of the exhaust?

Matt
Matt Sutter
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I would think about a single Flowmaster muffler too. That would tone down the obnoxious factor and give it a nice deep tone without killing your flow. Summit makes a square muffler that might do the job, but I got my Flowmaster from Carlisle for $60 in the box for the S-10.

I bet it sounds sweet now in an old school way, but your neighbors probably hate you at 5:30 am.

-BP
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

I put my vote in for a Walker Dynomax. I used to have these on the Chevelle -- they were almost too quiet (well, for the teenager and early 20-something that I was), but they sounded great at WOT. I'm using them again the next time I have to do an exhaust.

Electric cutouts? 8)

-Dave
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Flowmasters sound really good on the Vette. Actually sounds better through the exhaust than straight out the pipe.

But then what's good for me might be loud for others. I think mine are the 40 series. You can get them quieter.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]