95 Saturn SC2 Mostmint #42

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

MostMint

95 Saturn SC2 Mostmint #42

Post by MostMint »

I am not exactly sure how we ended up here. Kurt for some time has been dissatisfied with the Corolla. It's too new and worth too much so he can't really modify it. Couple that with a desire for a carrot to get better grades, Kurt and I started discussing what he might want to drive. We went back and forth talking about several different vehicles, but in the end he chose this.

Its a 95 SC2 5 speed with 84k miles and four wheel disc brakes. We're taking a bit of a chance because we bought it not running. Here are the specifics:

- aftermarket front side markers
- aftermarket header and complete performance exhaust
- MSD ignition coils
- cold air intake
- Eibach lowering springs
- KYB struts
- slotted rotors
- SAFC aftermarket performance chip
- custom gauge cluster
- big tach and shift light
- 17" aftermarket wheels with 30 miles on 13 year old tires
- front sway bar has poly bushings

- this car is very clean underneath. It has a temp tag from 2007 has not been run since then
- the fuel pump is not working. Prior owner tried to fix it but failed he has no fuel pressure
- he had a trickle charger on it for a couple days but it has some problem where it is draining the power
- ebrake cable brackets are missing
- the front bumper cover was replaced after a deer hit
- passenger mirror is beige so presumably replaced also
- lots of little scratches and abrasions on the paint due to sitting in the garage and presumably being a shelf
- has some rattle can translucent purple/green on it
- most of the interior is out of the car including door handles
- missing key lock for driver side door
- no wiper arms

- Prior owner said he ran 15.21 with the car. Seems plausible based on everything I see.

It's been on the internet for sale for a long time. I recall seeing it months ago with a $1200 price tag but apparently not much demand for a 25 year old Saturn that will not run. Most of these parts don't really have value to me but this car is well set up for what Kurt wants to do.

The car in the garage as we first saw it
IMG_4611.JPG
Fred32v offered the services of his new GMC to tow it from the garage which was in the seller's backyard and had no driveway. We used a side street just around the corner to load the car.
IMG_4612.JPG
Rolled off the trailer and into the garage with no major issues
IMG_4614.JPG
These pics are from the ad:
95SC2 dash.jpg
95SC2 tach.jpg
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Re: 95 Saturn SC2 Mostmint #42

Post by MostMint »

After it came home Kurt went right to work on fixing the fuel pump. As of now it appears none of my three spares are working so he ordered a new pump/sending unit.

Yesterday the title got transferred, the fuel pump got installed, old fuel flushed out of the fuel lines, and the engine ran enough to know that it is really only running on one cylinder. Temp gun says #1 is making heat the others seem not to be.

All of the injectors I have appear to be low impedance. Since they are kind of a pain to install we going to test them on the injector rail before installing them into the car. Used injectors tend to seize up over time so not sure how much of my inventory is good.
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Today I decided I need this car to move under its own power so I changed out the injectors and the fuel pressure regulator from inventory. I did some tests before installing by connecting everything only leaving the injectors, putting paper towels under them and cranking the engine. These injectors were used apparently from pull a part and they sat for multiple years and they were still good.

https://youtu.be/8teRDlmA-c4
IMG_4636.JPG
IMG_4637.JPG
None of my spare mirrors are black so he will have to paint one for the passenger side. I located spare wiper arms from the purple car.
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Kurt was over last night we made some progress

- wiper arms installed
- got the driver side headlight working
- installed the key barrels in the doors

basic checks
- wipers and squirter work
- all the running lights, brake lights and headlights work
- horn works

Kurt and I came to an accord and we are bartering work - welding on the Vette for work on the Saturn

so today I did the following
- the gauge cluster was loose - found a couple small bolts to secure it
- the dash lights now work - the dimmer switch was unplugged. installed the bezel that it mounts in
- hooked up the driver door speaker. car has three speakers and aftermarket radio. this might be the best speaker
- switched out the pop up headlight motor on driver side - had one from teal Saturn #2
- switched the pop up headlight cover on driver side. This headlight had been replaced after the car hit a deer, but we got the original cover and it was still good
- the license plate lights were out. Found a bulb from teal #2 and installed it. Could not locate the other so will have to buy one
- extracted the key matching key barrel from the trunk of teal # 2
- install the battery tie down - had to locate some bolts
- tie down the hood release cable
- replace the shifter cable bushing - this broke when I was unloading the car. I had a heavy duty spare for the race car which I installed after Kurt paid for a replacement which is being shipped
- located spare ebrake brackets
- looks like this car took a little damage to the right rear - which opened air gaps between various panels in the trunk which I caulked up
- installed the door levers

still to do
- install ebrake brackets
- backup lights not working
- install trunk key barrel for matching key
- bleed the brakes (replace very old brake fluid)
- engine oil change
- looks like a slow leak out the cooling system cap so will need to monitor that
- tie down the stereo
Attachments
IMG_4858.JPG
STHR8469.JPG
IMG_4860.JPG
IMG_4849.JPG
IMG_4825.JPG
-BP[/quote]
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Wow, great progress! Almost ready for daily use and a good track day. Then maybe a wax job?
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

completed since last update:

- e-brake brackets installed. The cables were a bit short which required some creative work to fill the gap - adjusted the bracket a bit in the interior and modified the ebrake lever to allow lengthening the travel of the cable from the lever.
- backup lights working. The switch in the transmission had failed. Had one in inventory
- installed the trim around the stereo to keep the thing in place
- installed the trunk key barrel. Before installing I decided I should check it and learned it was frozen up. With PB Blaster and a bit of finesse I got it working.
- ordered temp tags from the BMV. In the days of COVID-19 it takes ordering a temp tag which will not expire until the stay in place orders are lifted + 90 days.
- tied up the ebrake cables and the fuel vent line as they were hanging just a bit under the car
- bolted down the fuse box

to do:
- bleed brakes
- oil change
- slow radiator cap leak. test elec fans
- second license plate light (24LL)
- tires are directional - LR is on backwards
- RR wheel bearing is a bit loose
- gas tank heat shield is missing
- retorque all the lug nuts
- insurance
- check the remaining fluid levels
- decal lettering needs to come off the windshield

Most of these are pretty easy

advisable
- replace brake hoses
- 13+ year old belt
- replace wipers
Attachments
6B8E10DB-AC32-4C02-A2C3-86F5C94A13E0.jpeg
0CE1D261-02B8-492C-A951-D961DC07686B.jpeg
6E7DA76C-D150-485A-87B1-3EF9388D94B4.jpeg
2AEBC936-7A4D-4D66-8263-0D5954583163.jpeg
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Well the car is up to 89k miles. It got a tire and wheel upgrade when one of the 13 year old Nexen's broke a belt. Kurt liked the Bassett wheels now he has a set.
E9745078-5069-4C1E-853C-803176689B55.jpeg
At that low miles the car is still a child. However it is child that has a rod knock. Someone was rodding on it two quarts low and spun a bearing on Monday. It burns a little but been leaking pretty good out the cam cover at the spark plug holes.

Fortunately we have a spare engine in inventory! Had to do some prep work - I previously had the timing chain cover off (also cam cover and oil pan) since I cracked a timing chain cover on the race car removing it. It was a small crack and Kurt welded it up a couple weeks back. So while Kurt did most of the disassembly and removal I went to work cleaning parts - including gasket surfaces - and reassembling the long block. It went into the car today, but not finished yet. Has a good chance to finish assembly tomorrow if Kurt wants it.

Coming apart:
F4F08D30-B3F2-46F3-95E6-89B63CF1B958.jpeg
Going back in:
46B202F2-BE5D-438D-9DF7-001D33328A8F.jpeg
-BP[/quote]
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I've seen him weld with bare feet. Now a motor swap. Hardcore.

-BP
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Basement Paul wrote:I've seen him weld with bare feet. Now a motor swap. Hardcore.

-BP
Last cross country 5k from high school:
IMG_2090.JPG
Yes he ran the whole thing barefoot
-BP[/quote]
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I remember that one now. I guess if you don't wear shoes long enough, you just get used to it.

-BP
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

He said that was the most hardcore thing he's done barefoot. Picked up a thorn during the race, stopped to pull it out and kept going
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Engine install complete. The engine from the Megasquirt mule car has new life. After a short trip around the block the lifters pumped up and it sounds good. He drove it back to Akron tonight
-BP[/quote]