1997 Pontiac Firebird

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Basement Paul

Re: 1997 Pontiac Firebird

Post by Basement Paul »

Yesterday we drove the car all around trying to gather more info. The biggest problem on the scanner showed that anytime I would put the car under load, generally over 2500 rpms, it pulled ALL the timing out. Going sometimes even almost 5 degrees retarded. It should be 20 degrees or more advanced. You can watch it on the scanner and feel it happen all at the same time.
On a hunch since we still had track gas in there, we bought dry gas and topped off the tank with 93 but to no avail. The engine tapping that still exists at this point is believed to be setting off the knock sensor(s) and pulling out the timing. As I found out this morning, there are TWO knock sensors in this car, not just one like I thought before. So I think our next effort will be to pull the connections off BOTH knock sensors this time, and watch what the timing is doing. If it's stabilized in a safe mode, I think I'll pull both sensors out of the block, and safely mount them out of the way so they don't retard the timing any more. This is a messy job as they are in the water jackets...
The root problem though I believe, which is the mystery ticking, is still there. I've seen MULTIPLE threads of people complaining of the same issue, and one guy basically rebuilt his whole engine, and the noise was still there. Not one forum or thread has been completed or resolved. What I can surmise is that the balance shaft may be the root cause. People that were trying to replace bearings / bushings on the balance shaft were having troubles getting parts to do this job. I'm starting to loose my faith in the amazing Series II 3800.

-BP
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Thoughts:

- you might be able to just leave the wires grounded or open depending on how the sensor works.
- you might be able to obtain sensors cheap enough and use them instead of removing what you have from the block.
- There is someone out there that knows what the ticking is. Is this the same short block in the 80's Buick Grand National cars? If so I'd think Michael's Racing Engines would know what this problem is.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

After finding out about two knock sensors instead of just one, it was eating at me that we only unplugged one in our previous test. So I made my way to 32Vs place with the scanner and a plan.
We quickly jacked the car up, located both knock sensors, and pulled the plugs. These each only have one wire going to them, where in other posts I read, people talked about two wires. I'm assuming those are for 98 and up cars which have subtle differences.
It didn't take long into our test drive to realize the car was a lot better. We could see it on the scanner and feel it in our seats.
As we went blowing by the Sutter homestead on Butternut (and Matt's mom was pulling to the end of the drive in her Soul) we pretty much knew we had it licked. The car shows around 20 degrees advanced now at WOT and deep into the RPMs. From what I've seen this is a normal number.
On Basslake Rd, we simulated the back straight at Nelson and ran up to 6000 in 4th gear, and with the new driveshaft and u-joints, the car has never been so smooth at speed.
The ticking is still there, but now it's not slowing us down. I'm not afraid of detonation, and I really don't think the noise is going to change at this point.
So for now, the plugs are just unplugged and hanging safely under the car and it doesn't seem to have caused any other negative effects.

The series 2 motors I believe are very different inside than the old school 3.8 Buick motors. None of those had the balance shaft, and we're not roller motors to my knowledge.

For now, we're calling it fixed and hopefully we can get it to the track this fall for a 1/4 mile run and maybe another autocross if we can find one.

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

We pulled the Bird out to work on the F250 today. Looked like a good photo op.

-BP
Attachments
IMG_20201031_111620180.jpg
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

I haven't had anything to post lately, so, the roads have been dry for sometime,
I thought I'd test the heater in the TrackBird, it started right up,
I can tell you after a little 5 - 10 mile run that the heater works just fine,
It took about a mile before the tires became round.

Just waitin' for spring to get here.
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

It's supposed to be good roads for several days. DRIVE IT MORE!! It's good exercise for it.

-BP
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Dry roads, nothing else to post. Drove the TrackBird around the block. Ho-hum.

OK, it was good fun, but still waiting for spring!
Fred32v
wxo

Post by wxo »

I'm not rubbing it in, but we hit 70 degrees today for the first time. Great day!
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I saw 59 around noon today. It's short lived, but good for melting and our mental health. Driving something fun in February is a rare occurrence around here. Enjoy it!

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Here's some pics from the autocross on Sunday. The TrackBird is definitely a 20 footer. In these pics it looks amazing.

-BP
Attachments
autocross 5-2-21b.jpg
autocross 5-2-21a.jpg
Autocross 5-2-21.jpg
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

It really does photograph well.

-Dave
wxo

Post by wxo »

Apparently it caught the eye of the track photographer, too. It looks great! The custom hook vents caught my eye. Nice job guys.
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Yesterday we bought a used set of Nitto NT01 tires for the Firebird. They're 245-50-16 which is the stock size for a Trans Am of this vintage. There's actually no date on these tires, but the seller says 4-5 years old. They don't show any wear at all. We paid $320 for them and they are over $200 ea if we bought them new. This is a road race, 100 treadwear tire. I know it will be better on a road course, hopefully it will be better on an autocross too. We'll need to find a set of 16" Camaro or Firebird wheels cheap now. There's lots of sets out there for $200 or less, but they're all 2 hours away.

https://www.nittotire.com/competition-t ... urse-tire/

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Dad was working at MostMint's place last Sunday and I found a 3.73 complete rear end for the Firebird. I found myself running out of gear on Nelson's back stretch and having to shift into 3rd gear at Dragway 42s autocross. The car currently has a 3.90 gear, so this should get me a few hundred extra RPM.
Yesterday we drove to the Rolling W dirt track near Butler PA to pick up a set of rims to go with our newish race tires. They are Firebird 16x8 rims that would be stock on this car. So now we need to get the rear end swapped out and the tires mounted in the next couple weeks and we should be ready for track day in June.
I'll let Fred post pictures of our acquisitions.

-BP
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

All and all, Saturday was totally a great time. Map quest was able to fool us,
but we were still able to eventually find the Rolling W Dirt track in Butler, Pa..
The ride home was equally enjoyable, even an accident that blocked 422W
didn't stop us from having a very satisfying day.
Found by MostMint's place
Found by MostMint's place
Wheels with slicks on top
Wheels with slicks on top
Things just keep getting better!
Fred32v