92 Saturn Mostmint #41

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

MostMint

92 Saturn Mostmint #41

Post by MostMint »

I bought this car from Laslo and Rose. She is the original owner. I came across Laslo at the local Autozone about 4 years back and gave him my number. The speedo quit at 173K but Rose tracked the mileage by tanks consumed she estimates 220k on the car. Most of the interior including the seats look like new.

With the Corvette in development, the Saturn era is closer to the end, but I could not pass up this car for $800.

It has a lot of little problems. It needs new rotors for sure and replace one of the rear brake lines to get back to 4 wheel brakes. Not sure what we're doing with it yet.
Attachments
IMG_4018.JPG
IMG_4004.JPG
IMG_4002.JPG
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
Basement Paul

Re: 92 Saturn Mostmint #41

Post by Basement Paul »

Convert it to stick and just drive it. At this point, you should be able to make it last forever. If you can make a Saturn last 24hours at full throttle, you could run a stock one to 500k miles and get 38mpg while doing it. Looks well taken care of.

-BP
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

This car was made in Feb 92, the race car was made in June 92.

The front brakes were atrocious I took the time to replace them (see pic - old on the left, replacement on the right). The tires are in great shape but they were made in 2013 so they are 6 years old.

Interior is in really nice shape being 27 years old. I'm not used to seeing the car intact. I don't know if I've ever seen one with all the splash panels in the fender wells.

The race car sits 1" lower in the front and 2" lower in the back compared to this stock example.

It is a lot slower than the race car. It did like fresh gas but probably needs a tune up. However in performance mode it will spin the LF tire on the 1-2 shift!
Attachments
IMG_4019[1].JPG
IMG_4023[1].JPG
IMG_4022[1].JPG
IMG_4020[1].JPG
-BP[/quote]
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I know the PERF button on the ones I had did a pretty good job of holding the gear to redline under WOT too. I would also put injector cleaner in there. Those old GM injectors loved to clog up if you didn't drive them hard. I'm sure this thing has had a pretty easy life.

-BP
Racin'Jacin

Post by Racin'Jacin »

I think you are selling yourself short on those rotors. Clearly there is afew miles left in them! ha ha ha (kidding)
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Plan A would be to grind the rust off with a hand grinder. That would cut down the pulsing due to the rust. Fortunately the days have passed where I need to resort to such methods.

Plan B - Well if I built a forge to melt down steel and a method to apply it to the machine surfaces, then created a poor man's lathe to resurface them... oh the possibilities!

LOL :lol:
-BP[/quote]
Fred32v

Re: 92 Saturn Mostmint #41 in storage

Post by Fred32v »

While I was at TRP, the Saturn showed up looking for a home.
I spent the morning rearranging the storage area.
Moved somethings around
Moved somethings around
1st class storage facility
1st class storage facility
What's next?
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

A genuine Saturn car cover!?!?? That's awesome.

If you need more space, just pile that bubble wrap on top of the car.

-BP
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Preliminary to do list:

replace brake hoses
replace brake fluid
check the spark plugs
get the engine code
inspect rear brakes and adjust
fix rear brake line

trans will not engage in S
seat belts have a small cut
headlight will not close
leak in the sunroof
-BP[/quote]
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

There was action in the 32V Garage Sunday,
The MostMint one arrived and gave this little gem some love.

Preliminary to do list:

replace brake hoses
replace brake fluid
check the spark plugs
get the engine code
inspect rear brakes and adjust
fix rear brake line

Done

Not TRP or Nelson, but still satisfying.
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

* left rear was locked up which is not conducive to moving the car or using it which created this need
* we also replaced the wheel cylinders
* with a little help from a zip tie we got the old turkey baster on line and used it to drain all the fluid from the master cylinder reservoir before opening the lines
* we installed about 18' of brake line. I brought 17' but Fred32v had a short piece
* the drums had a lot of rust at the edge and in the channel which was dragging on the backing plate - lots of binding there. remarkably they came off the car with not that much work
* rear shoes are at 25% material left
* The codes were 11 on check engine, and 46,49 on the transmission. 11 tells you there are transmission codes. I have to find the transmission book to learn what those codes are. The car hesitates a bit I was hoping for a bad TPS code but no luck
* used zip ties to hold the lines in place. One of the lines had already been partially replaced and it had zip ties, so we are not the first to put them to use on the car.
* also discovered the dust covers on the inner tie rod ends were not secure to the rack which we fixed with hose clamps

the brake pedal is a bit low but firm. It probably needs new drums and an adjustment on the shoes to get the pedal higher.
still don't know what I'm doing with this car but it needs to be running if its going to be a backup - more to come.
-BP[/quote]
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

That's right in the sweet spot for crappy GM injectors. I'd be inclined to run a bottle of good injector cleaner through it. Might help your hesitation. I only say this because I'm guessing this car hasn't seen redline in its whole life. There's probably carbon everywhere.

-BP
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

I'll second the injector cleaner, maybe add the bottle on a 1/2 or even 1/4 tank.

-Dave
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

With too many cars at the inn, and this one in the auxiliary inn I am going to move this car. I had it on FB marketplace for a week with little interest - admittedly at $1500 the price is a bit high. The body panels are so nice I plan to keep them for the race car. I'm still deciding on the rest of the car but I'm leaning toward parting it out.

The interior is so nice wish I knew someone who needed it. Kurt pretty much not interested as he was stripping out the interior of his future car anyway. May hold onto those parts until the fate of the green car is solid. If I was poor I'd move the interior and exterior panels over to the green car and have a pretty nice cheap low mileage daily driver, but that is not going to work here Kurt not liking teal for his daily.
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

With no takers the time has come to take what is of value and scrap the rest. Today was disassembly day. More to do yet but with four people working it we made a lot of progress
Attachments
E440BAE6-3D9B-4212-82A4-0DB55396358C.jpeg
5C2E474D-F637-4518-BDC5-62DE9C7221C9.jpeg
BC2CC51F-0D92-42D4-94EC-ADA47AB70740.jpeg
500DE679-42B9-4621-B5EA-807051165915.jpeg
3BEA9E91-7E39-4E98-A933-460538E957E7.jpeg
-BP[/quote]