Chip off the old block

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Racin'Jacin

Re: Chip off the old block

Post by Racin'Jacin »

So we had a little disaster on the throttle shaft. After cutting the slots from one side I had to flip the part and re-slot it to make up for the shape of the cutter. Standard stuff. First issue I notice is that the threaded holes are NOT perfectly 90 deg. to the slots which means my fixture wasn't as Ricoh Suave' as I thought. I had pretty tight thru holes which I thought would prevent that - I was wrong. As a result I ended up having to use an indexer to flip the shaft to machine out the corners. And decided that I could probably live with the less than perfect screw orientation. Well on the 7th corner (out of 8 ) I got careless and mis indexed the fixture resulting in a scarf on the shaft as the cutter wasn't aligned with the slot - by a lot. Salvageable? Yes! Acceptable? No! Time to start over. So I re-thought the fixture and improved the shaft support. It worked PERFECTLY. I'm so happy! The close up pic shows the goofed up shaft. The other pic shows the new fixture - where I machined a U groove down the center and clamped it in with 2 rows of screws. I drilled and tapped the holes thru the shaft so I could bolt it onto the U groove from both sides. Later I will come back and put counterbores in and relieve 1/2 the shaft for the clamp screws. They say experience is a HARD teacher because it gives you the TEST first and the LESSON afterwards. Yep!
Attachments
IMG_1998.JPG
IMG_1988.JPG
Last edited by Racin'Jacin on Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Racin'Jacin

Post by Racin'Jacin »

Time to finish up the slots. Whne you come in from either side with the cutter you have a little "triangle" of left over material that is a result of the radius of the cutter. After contemplating several approaches I first tried making a slotting tool from an old drill bit. Basically a one stroke at a time broaching tool. And while this worked it was PAINFULLY slow. So I went a little caveman and cut the majority of the material away using a hand held jigsaw. Then it was the Die Filer to the rescue! That saved a BUNCH of time. I gotta say it came out SWEET!!!!!!!
Attachments
IMG_2012.JPG
IMG_2016.JPG
Last edited by Racin'Jacin on Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Racin'Jacin

Post by Racin'Jacin »

So today we tested out my new butterfly fixture. The first one was OK, but you had to cut one at a time because I had drilled the screws so they were perpendicular to the angled surface. You can imagine as you stack up more and more blanks they keep getting further and further from center. And here I thought I was being slick when I drilled those holes! So now I have the holes drilled parallel the the axis of the part- which means I can stack up bunches of plates a AND once machined all those will be dead nuts the same diameter! Much easier making an identical set that way! I also discovered that you have to be super careful cutting out the blanks because it's super easy to tweak them and not know it because the clamp will temporarily flatten them out! The picture of the fixture in the lathe is actually 4 throttle plates being turned.
Attachments
IMG_2028.JPG
IMG_2027.JPG
IMG_2026.JPG
IMG_2024.JPG
Last edited by Racin'Jacin on Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Racin'Jacin

Post by Racin'Jacin »

So here's a pic of what I am after! The GOLD standard an original ScottSuperSlot top. I will need to tweak the shape just a wee bit and if I do it right it will hopefully be undetectable. I am NOT modifying the original I am making new one from 5052-H32 which is fab friendly. I can't hardly wait to get started! Wish me luck - I'm gonna need it!
Attachments
IMG_2035.JPG
IMG_2033.JPG
Last edited by Racin'Jacin on Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Last of the V8 interceptors!
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
Racin'Jacin

Post by Racin'Jacin »

Thought you guys might like to see my "tool" for making the high pressure fuel lines. I bought a couple extra ferrules to practice with.
Attachments
IMG_2072.JPG
Modified slightly
Modified slightly
One crimp is Hilborn's and one is mine.
One crimp is Hilborn's and one is mine.
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Truly a man of vision... too awesome!

-BP
Racin'Jacin

Post by Racin'Jacin »

So today I started to bend up the bottom half of the scoop. I had to make due with what I had laying around so that may explain my hillbilly approach (or I'm just a cheap bastage - take your pick) Anyways I used 1" thickness of rubber as the bottom die and a tire iron as part of the upper die - using the tire iron to get the inside radius. A little bit of tweaking back and forth and I got it pretty darned close. I can't wait to get started on the top piece!
Attachments
IMG_2085.JPG
IMG_2084.JPG
IMG_2079.JPG
IMG_2078.JPG
IMG_2075.JPG
Last edited by Racin'Jacin on Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Racin'Jacin

Post by Racin'Jacin »

Spent some time on the press. Definitely easier ways to do this. This method left some facets in the top surface, but I think they are shallow enough to sand out - we'll see.
Attachments
IMG_2089.JPG
IMG_2088.JPG
IMG_2086.JPG
Racin'Jacin

Post by Racin'Jacin »

So I got to sneak out for a few minutes, didn't get a lot done, but did get to fire up the welder. Tacked it from the top, fully welded on the bottom, then V'd out the top because I would grind it flush later. Still needs some smoothing, but it's on it's way!
Attachments
IMG_2107.JPG
IMG_2106.JPG
Racin'Jacin

Post by Racin'Jacin »

Time to punch the holes in the scoop bottom...and you know I can't leave a sharp edge there!
Attachments
IMG_2124.JPG
IMG_2123.JPG
IMG_2122.JPG
IMG_2120.JPG
IMG_2110.JPG
IMG_2109.JPG
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Just like you knew what you were doing!

-BP
Racin'Jacin

Post by Racin'Jacin »

Almost! Did a little welding and smoothin' today.
Attachments
IMG_2164.JPG
IMG_2162.JPG
IMG_2161.JPG
IMG_2160.JPG
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

That's impressive!!

GM
Racin'Jacin