BasementPauls Fiero GT Resurrection

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

MostMint

Post by MostMint »

3 more months...or less :wink:
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
Fred32v

On The Road Again!

Post by Fred32v »

Well, the GT passed eCheck with room to spare. Driving exposed a problem with the alternator.
Removing the exhaust header was all it took to replace the bad alternator, and a new battery
has been installed as well. With almost a hundred miles on the GT, things seem to have settled down.
It will be going to work everyday for a while. It sure is super fun to drive and ride in.
ImageImageImage
This is not a car to store and keep forever, this is now a car to be driven and be enjoyed. It sure zips around corners.
Wonder what it turns?
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Now the Fiero has become a daily driver. Last week I encountered a miss in the engine and the tach bouncing around after about 20 minutes of driving. A $12 trip to Advanced Auto, and a removal of the distributor later, and the new pick up ring is installed and firing much better than before. The one I removed (original I'm certain) basically fell apart in my hands. It's amazing the car even ran.

On Sunday Camaro Bob and I took it to the Randolph swap meet (120 miles round trip) with no problems. This car does drive really well. If it's around long enough to make a pass, I'm guessing high 15's. It pulls surprisingly well on the top end.

So far, I'm at about 800 miles of driving and it's getting somewhere around 23-24mpg, most of which is 70mph freeway driving on a 3spd automatic trans (3200rpms). Not too bad, but the car is begging for an overdrive.

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

How fitting on Memorial Day that the Fiero become just another memory in my long line of cars. I received several calls from Michigan on the car, and one caller made the 3 hour journey down here with his wife and three kids this morning, and drove the car home.

I'd like to give props to AutoTrader for successfully selling another car for me. It seems to be a good place to sell a reasonably priced car.

-BP
Fred32v

Fun while it lasted!

Post by Fred32v »

Sad to see the GT go, it was a great way to spend our Saturdays this last winter. Some profit was just an added bonus. Looks like Mostmint's estimate of 3 months was pretty good! Sure would have liked to see it run the quarter. Oh well, maybe the next project, I'm reasonably sure there will be one.
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Funny, this seems like a LONG time ago, and it was only a year. Another funny... my neighbor is a Willoughby police officer, and he pulled the people over who bought the Fiero on their way home. He said when he ran the plates (the car had my plates on it still) he let them go...

Man this car looked good from 20 feet...

-BP