'88 GMC 4WD parts truck

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

TireSmoker
Site Admin

'88 GMC 4WD parts truck

Post by TireSmoker »

A week or two ago, I acquired my cousin's old '88 GMC K1500 for the cost of a $50 tow to my house. The gas tank was rotted out, some brake lines were rusted, but the drivetrain was allegedly good.

Being an '88, it could have a factory roller cam, or at worst, be capable of using the factory roller cam parts, which are *much* cheaper than the aftermarket retro-fit stuff. It also has the 1-piece rear main seal.

It also has a 700R4. My first inclination would have been to just try removing the transfer case so it could be used as a 2wd trans, but a couple internet postings suggested the 4wd unit as a whole was worth more and could be easily traded for a 2wd version.

I've been taking advantage of the unbelievable weather we've been having the past week to get as much taken apart as I can. The truck is just kind of all around beat, but it had some really good parts on it. The radiator looks near new and is the same size at the one in my Chevelle. But this one is alum-i-num. :-)

The catalytic converter is also brand new. It's not even rusted. I know these have scrap value. The battery is in good shape and turned the engine over fine.

This truck has cruise control and a tilt wheel, while my '94 doesn't. I've already yanked the cruise control box -- it looks like it'd be very easy to swap into my truck. The box has a cable coming out of it connect to the throttle body, and a 6-8 wire connector that runs to the interior. I'm not sure if I'll pull the tilt column, just because I'm getting tired of spending time on this.

I also pulled the TBI unit, the 8-pin HEI distributor and some of the EFI wiring.

The wheels are in decent shape overall. The tires have tread, but are all cracked. I have to believe they're worth $50-100 to someone. They are 6-bolt wheels, though. The truck's spare is there, but I need another 6-bolt wheel to put back on it so it can be towed out of here. Anyone know where I can get one for free?

More to come..

-Dave
markss327

Post by markss327 »

A scrap, but whole, Chevy roller motor is worth $100. That alone is cool. And a better radiator too. I'd be interested in your 'old' 4 core - should you decide to part with her.

How about the fuel pump? If the tank has fallen victim to the rust belt, chances are the pump is toast also - but..... worth a look? Also, the rear axle may have a better gear. In the 4X4, a posi was *probably* and option. The Z71 would have positraction as part of the package.
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
300hp - a bit much for FWD!
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

I think I have some 'after' pictures somewhere, but the truck has been hauled away for scrap. Even after yanking the engine, trans, radiator, cat converter, the aluminum wheels, and just about every other decent part on the thing, I got a place to come take it away and give me $100 for it! (Cleveland American Auto Wrecking, on St. Clair, for future reference) The original tow to my house cost me $50, so I'm ahead $50 and got a bunch of free parts.

The down side is I tore into the engine and it's a MESS. I've never seen so much sludge and buildup in an engine before. It is a roller block (meaning it has the taller lifter bores plus the bosses for the roller-lifter "spider") but it has a flat-tappet cam installed. I haven't pulled the heads or oil pan yet.

The plan for the moment is to hopefully re-ring and re-bearing the shortblock, much like I did for the El Camino a few years ago. I'll bolt on my Vortec heads, pop in a mild roller cam and I should have a real nice running 350 that could easily go into the Corvette.

-Dave
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

We might have to negotiate a deal on that converter. If the Camaro won't pass echeck it is going to need a converter, and I assume that one is probably 2 1/2". Is it still around?
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Yeah, it's around. Looks like 2.5" or so.

-Dave