1978 Lincoln Continental Coupe

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

wxo

Re: 1978 Lincoln Continental Coupe

Post by wxo »

I have been studying my tuning concepts and I'm inching my way forward. If you don't do something to the Lincoln, you won't catch me. :evil:
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

If it picked up 20 HP (360 calculated from ET and weight ==> 380 guess of 20 HP gain), this calculator

http://wallaceracing.com/et-hp-mph.php

says 13.37 ET @ 101.05.

Any opinions on guess at 20 HP gain with more CFM?
Maverick
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

When I switched from the quadrajet to a Holley on my Caddy, it was .3 faster... That's probably a 20HP increase. I think your motor is DYING for a bigger carb. Your top end will thank you.

-BP
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Besides the bigger carb, there has to be a lot of extra weight in that Lincoln!
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

On Tuesday, 3/26 a friend and I are leaving on a road trip in the Lincoln, destination Houston, TX. I'm doing a thread on the trip on the Lincoln forum. If interested, check it out. https://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/ ... 60#p398161

We'll be spending a day in Columbia, TN, SW of Nashville, to tour the Civil War battle sites including the ford of the Duck River where my great grandfather was wounded by a Confederate sharpshooter in a tree.

Return route is TBD depending on how eager we are to get back home and how the old girl is performing.
Maverick
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

We made it to Nashville area but had to abort the drive to Houston. The driver's side power window got stuck part way down. We pulled the door panel off in an attempt to get the window up but it wouldn't budge and while I had a basic tool kit in the trunk not enough to deal with the issue.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7qs60nhmozqyu ... 9.jpg?dl=0

Weather was perfect for the drive back to Raleigh on Thursday. Window problem seems to be resistance in the mechanism. Couldn't move the window by hand with the motor out. Motor bench tested fine with current in spec. The window mechanism is very sticky with OLD grease. Cleaned it some and applied lithium grease and the window moves better for some of it's travel but not smooth enough for the motor to drive it. Found this broken plastic piece in the motor. Notice the split near the bottom of the white plastic piece.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/re3wraaocgq8c ... 2.jpg?dl=0

Ordered a new AC Delco motor for $40 from Amazon. Will do a better job of cleaning and lubing the mechanism to get the window movement smooth top-to-bottom before installing the new motor.
Maverick
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

There's not much more frustrating than a power window that won't go up when stuck.
I had this same issue coming back from Carlisle one year on my 2000 Regal. I put the window
down at a toll booth and it wouldn't go up. I drove the whole 300 miles with the window
down... in 45 degree temps with a light mist. HORRIBLE!! I had to wear a rain coat and
several sweaters underneath it the whole way home.

GM
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

On the way back at Winston-Salem, the transmission slipped and was obviously about to fail completely. Got off I-40 at the next intersection and coasted to a stop in a VERY bad neighborhood. Found a big puddle of ATF under the front. A rubber hose connecting 3/8" aux trans cooler came off spilling the ATF. I can't understand how it came off since it was double-clamped with EFI clamps. But, come off it did. Fortunately there was a Walmart a couple of blocks away. Put the hose back on and we were about to hoof it to Walmart when an old black man, Tony, pulled up in a Super Duty pickup. He drove us to Walmart, then by his nearby shop to get a funnel, and back to the car. When we got back there were two guys casing the car and two drugged out characters hanging around. One so bad he fell against the car while I was putting the fluid in. Tony dismissed the guys casing the car and kept the druggies sorta under control. He knew them -- said they lived under the bridge. Thanks to Tony, we got the fluid in and made it out of there and home without further incidents.

Anyone know about braided stainless hoses that would be good to plumb the aux cooler in? The lines from the trans to the front are already braided SS but I want to replace the short lines too. Don't remember where I got the long lines from the transmission. I'm seeing some variety of oil cooler lines. Would oil cooler lines tolerate ATF?
Maverick
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I'm guessing your trans cooler lines are smooth where the hose slips on? If so, just get a cheap flaring too and open them up just a little bit, then put your double clamps back on. They'll never come off again. I had this problem with my Mustang with a C3, and I left a trail all the way up my parents street. Since then I never put one of those hoses on without a lip on the end of it.

-BP
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Right, smooth lines. I was sure the double EFI clamps would hold it. Was thinking maybe I'd replace the combo smooth lines/rubber connectors with ATF hoses and barbed fittings rather than SS lines. Maybe I'll do your suggestion.

Got the power window working today with some loosened adjustments, lithium grease and new motor. Still need to reinstall the door panel. I should work on the passenger door since that window and lock are also slow.
Maverick
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Got the door panel installed yesterday. I've been noodling about the cooler lines. The Lincoln DOESN'T have braided lines from the transmission. :oops: Too many projects -- can't remember what I did to which one.

When the headers were installed, the cooler lines were too close so I made hard lines, with rubber connections, attached to the right inner fender. Checked the clamps and they are ALL not tight!!! Only thing I can guess is the ATF-rated rubber hose softened. Given the state of the clamps, I'm not surprised a hose came off. So, Ill just re-tighten the clamps and check them, and the condition of the hoses, whenever the oil is changed.
Maverick
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Putting the Lincoln up for sale. I love it but I'm just not using it.

https://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/ ... 99#p400299
Maverick
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Such a cool ride. Sad to see it go.

-BP
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

What will the next project be??? :-)