1994 ROADMASTER

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

MostMint

Post by MostMint »

TireSmoker wrote:It was a Chupposity limiter.
:lol: A classic line from the Studster for sure!
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
Fred32v

Just another Saturday in the garage

Post by Fred32v »

Replaced the old used up '94 Buick Roadmaster front springs with the '96 SS front springs.
Of interest, the old Buick springs were over an inch taller than the SS springs but the coil thickness
was much heavier on the SS springs. When we got finished those SS springs lifted the front end about
an inch. Also added new front shocks.
Then, the SS's sway bar was reunited with its' rear end. I'm sure these modifications will change
the ride and feel of the Red Dragon.
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
Basement Paul

Red Dragon = Porsche

Post by Basement Paul »

Well the Buick is insanely better at carving corners than it was. There is very limited body roll, and much better under braking than before due to the stiffer front springs. Not to mention my headlights are working a lot better than before...

I'm really loving this car. This early shutoff problem, aka speed limiter, is going to need to be remedied soon though.

I got my first chance at the snow this morning and it stops pretty well, but will definitely need some weight once I hit some real snow. Donuts will not be a problem....

-BP
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

This is a project I have to seriously consider copying. Only it'll have to be a '96.
-BP[/quote]
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

MostMint wrote:This is a project I have to seriously consider copying. Only it'll have to be a '96.
Why a '96?
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

TireSmoker wrote:Why a '96?
It's OBD II and that means I know you can reprogram the computer when you change the rearend. It also means that echeck is not a rolling test - they just plug in to the computer.
-BP[/quote]
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I would reconsider the 96 and here's my logic. Believe it or not, they do make a power programmer for the 94-95 cars because the trans (and everything else) is already controlled by the computer. And for the e-check thing, I'd rather take my chances on the roller than have to fix my light every time it comes on. Just so you know, my car with 140k on it, passed like it was barely running. I don't think with any of the years, that these would have a problem with e-check.

There was a 94-96 (not sure) LS Impala (loaded) in the local paper with about 70k on it for under $5000 and it had the LT1 in it. I just saw it last night.

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Well Saturday I removed the driver's side exhaust manifold (it was leaking real bad). The rear two bolts were already broken inside the cylinder when I got to them so I got to carefully drill and tap them out. With the help of my brother in law's right angle drill I was able to custom cut a few drill bits and get the job done in about five hours.

I also bought a Power Programmer for the car. Now my speedo is correct, the trans shifts much better and when I want it to, and it seems to have more throttle response...all good things.

I really like this car! I'm guessing between the better rear end, the posi, and now the programmer, I should be able to muster a 14.6 out of it in the spring.

-BP
Basement Paul

The master of more...

Post by Basement Paul »

Well, with the winter taking it's toll on my driver's side muffler, I went to Bob's house of mufflers (ie the two Flowmasters he bought at Canfield) and found two offset / offset mufflers that I decided to put on the Roadmaster. With the help of Fast 87 (Kevin with the crazy Mustang) we cobbed up a set of Flowmasters for to repair the hole, and also gain a little rumble.

The verdict is that it's still a little too quiet still coming through the resonators, so in the next few weeks sometime, I'll have to get those pulled off for full Flowmaster sound (and probably a little extra flow). It is pretty quiet though under normal cruise conditions, but does not give me quite the noise I was looking for after the install. I just hope it does not rap out the exhaust with the resonators off....

-BP