91 Olds Calais - coming back from the dead?

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Ordered the valves last night at Autozone. They come in pairs. $4.99 for a pair of intakes and $6.99 for a pair of exhaust. Gatorback belt was $14.99 so the total was only $28.59!

The valves are cheaper than the head gasket.

$176 + $28.59 = $204.59
We have crossed the $200 barrier.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
markss327

Post by markss327 »

For a top end repair, $204 in parts is cheep! The price for the valves is just to cool.
The non magnetic valve, has me puzzled too, Hummmmmm. Ceramic? Carbide? Stainless? :shock:
Are the new valves magnetic?
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
300hp - a bit much for FWD!
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Mark,
I updated the total - up to $263 and that includes the price of the car (details on the last post of page 1). I expect it to be roadworthy for under $350.
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

On Wed. I found out the valves are really not sold in pairs, so I had to order another intake and exhaust.

Last night started lapping in valves. Did #2 cylinder exhaust and the one new exhaust valve I had. Then I started on intakes and found why #2 had low compression - one of the intake valves was bent slightly. When BP decarbonized the piston tops we saw all of them has hit the valves at one point - apparently this one hit a little too much. It looked like it had been like that for quite some time. So I have to order a new valve for that.
-BP[/quote]
Fred32v

Sunday Afternoon 11/19/06

Post by Fred32v »

If you can't go drag racing you can still have fun re-installing a cylinder head on a quad four Olds.
ImageImageImage
A slight problem with the chain guide stopped us from finishing, but the next time we get together,
it'll be running and ready to be adapted by a good home.
Fred32v

Another Sunday 12/10/06

Post by Fred32v »

A small setback here, a small setback there, but through it all this team "Got er Done". No big suprise, it runs.
Waiting for insurance and a test run on the road. The check engine light was only on until the missing connector
was found. This old Olds has renewed life and will soon have a new home but it was fun while it lasted.
Tiresmoke offers moral support .......................Check Engine Light?.......................No Suprise, it runs!
ImageImageImage
This has got to be more fun then watching football!
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

there is a definite oil leak from the timing chain cover. I don't know if it is the front or back yet, so more investigation is needed. I think I'll get that fixed before I plate it.

I could stand to get a harmonic balancer for a Quad 4. Anyone have one?
Last edited by MostMint on Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

The trans am looks a little DUSTY.
I someone wrote in it.
Matt Sutter
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

ttamrettus wrote:The trans am looks a little DUSTY.
Yes. But I have seen worse.

It is not hiding under a cover
It does not have boxes and things stacked up on it
None of the tires are flat

It is sitting inside a dry garage

Oh and I still own it. It will be there when I need it
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

The cover is leaking in two places. One is definitely where the cover and the exhaust cam tower come together so I have started the disassembly process. :(

I hope it is an easy obvious problem.
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

The leak was not too difficult - the cam housing to timing chain housing gasket is not symmetrical and it was on backwards. I was more deliberate when putting the chain back on and I havethe timing right now. There was one extra link between the cams on the last try. I also discovered that a heater hose had not been clamped.

So the thing runs 10x better with the chain on correctly. It still leaks a little but I think we are to acceptable levels for this type of cars. I got the temp tags and insurance and took it to e-check. It almost passed. Apparently it failed in 2004 and has not succeeded since then. It was at 1060 ppm on NOx and the limit is 980. The attendant said I was "going in the right direction", so apparently it was better than in 2004.

Overall the car is doing fine for a $800-900 vehicle. Brake pedal feels good with no pulsing, tranny shifts good. Lights, wipers, radio - all that stuff works. It does pull to the left slightly (need to check air pressure) and has signs of a shifted cord in a rear tire - only noticed at under 25 mph.

The big problem was the oil light is coming on at idle in drive - just flickering. It also has a slight knock under power. This was quite disheartening. Taking the pan down is real easy on this car, so I pulled it down and checked the rod bearings. Luckily none were turned, though only one of them was "good". Number 4 was the worst, as it was completely down to the copper and even that was worn through to the next layer in one spot. The top half of the bearing came out in two pieces. Surprisingly, the bearings did not turn. The journals looked good. One of the other journals has some slight scoring but should not require any special attention (OK not turbo charging for this car!)

Also the oil had the most peculiar smell.

This was a train wreck that was barely avoided.

Up next is replacing the rod bearings, fresh oil and filter and plugs, and another trip to echeck. And the adventure continues...
-BP[/quote]
markss327

Post by markss327 »

It does not have boxes and things stacked up on it
Well, once again, mine does.
And, hey, the cat's gota sleep somewhere.
Right now, she likes the front pass floor. One of the only places free of misc parts. 8)
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
300hp - a bit much for FWD!
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

OK all the rod bearings have been replaced and the car is back on the road. Also put in new plugs. The crank is .25mm undersize - they had bearings for the undersize crank in stock at Autozone. Not knowing how many thousandths are in .25mm, I used plastigage on one of the bearings - and clearance appears to be around .0035" about .001" more than the recommended maximum clearance, but it'll have to do. I guess I'll run 10w30 in it. I also learned .25mm is very close to .010".

I cleaned the bearing shavings out of the pan (very fine like you find on the bottom of a tranny pan) and tiny bits of timing chain links.

It also got fresh oil and filter. Before going to echeck I pulled the air filter and the crank vent breather. Did not help - failed way worse on NOx emissions than before. I thought it would help but apparently the computer adjusted to the extra air and richened up the mixture. Seems like it needs a catalytic converter. I have a couple that are almost new so it may get one of them.

Also the left rear tire locks up under moderate braking - probably needs a wheel cylinder, and in the morning the solenoid seems sluggish to respond. The last two mornings I had to try the ignition 8-10 times to get it to attempt to move the starter. Once it moves it pops right over.
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

So I put the air filter back in, and after some discussion with Fred32v, decided to put some E85 in the car to try to cut down on the emissions. I put about .8 gallons of E85 in with about 3 gallons of regular unleaded. Another test showed emissions improved by about 10% but fell way short of the legal limits. I am questioning the heat range of the plugs.

Also BP found some dry gas and so I can do the conventional gas/dry gas mix. That and the right plugs should do it.

The car made the 140+ mile round trip to BP's place. When I went to leave the starter problem cropped up again, but BP had the solution this time: the neutral safety switch on the shifter is the problem. Put the car in and out of gear a time or two and it started right up.

Also therookie and I unequivocally proved that the old Quad4 is no match for the Trailblazer SS. After giving me the jump and quite convincingly driving past me on 84, he thought I might want to try again on the highway. Hmmm. 132K plus miles and on unkown tires against double the horsepower. The only chance I have is if he hits the speed limiter and I did not want to try and make this car go that fast - if it even could.

This car is for sale. Speak up if you know anyone interested.
-BP[/quote]
TheRookie

Post by TheRookie »

Eh, I was just having a little fun. I didn't mean to pick on the old guy (the car, that is). Hope the dry gas works out!

P.S. I think your headlights are misaligned. The drivers side seemed high and the other low. I'd make some joke about how my tail lights alignment looked, but that wasn't fair :)