1994 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

ttamrettus

Re: 1994 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon

Post by ttamrettus »

I got the wheels and tires installed this am. the wheels ended up being winter beater quality but I think they were cheap considering what I find nice ones for. The tires have some life left too so they will do for now. I just need center caps now.
Attachments
DSC01895.JPG
DSC01895.JPG (165.51 KiB) Viewed 7875 times
DSC01894.JPG
DSC01894.JPG (164.66 KiB) Viewed 7875 times
Matt Sutter
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Already a good start!

-BP
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

It is sold when I looked at the ad. It was WELL worth the price. The posi and gears alone. Part out the rest and scrap the hulk.

PS. I DON'T DO RUST.
Matt Sutter
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

So right before Alex and I left for Ohio I bought a passenger front door and a passenger rear door. I need the chrome molding off them as mine are scratched badly. Also my front passenger door has a small dent in it. So I might just change the whole door as they are white with wood grain too.

Then while in Ohio I found a LT1 out of a 1996 Impala SS for $100. I got it to my parents and got it disassembled. I hope the short block is savable. The heads and intake are fine. All the main bearings are spun with the front one out so far it was touching the back of the timing chain sprocket.

IMAG0271.jpg
IMAG0271.jpg (24.71 KiB) Viewed 7831 times
Matt Sutter
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

OUCH!

-BP
markss327

Post by markss327 »

Well, the front main, is the furthest from the oil supply. Lets hope the rest are in better shape!
I'll bet the #1 and #2 rod bearings are toast too.
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
300hp - a bit much for FWD!
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

All the mains look bad (although not as bad as that one).
Matt Sutter
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

Yesterday I investigated why the tailgate on the wagon didn't operate correctly. I then went to the auto parts store and ordered the broken clips and a new heater core while I was there. Today I fixed the tailgate handles, the manual lock, the glass hatch support pistons and re-installed tailgate panel. Now it all works properly. Later this week, the heater core. Then the tune up. I figured I would start at the back of the car with the simple stuff and move forward.
Matt Sutter
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

Well the wagon has been in my storage unit since my apartment complex was starting to complain. I should be closing on a house by the end of March and will have my hands full getting it ready to live in BUT I do plan on getting the wagon reliable and ready for a trip to Carlisle.
Matt Sutter
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

The new heater core and engine compartment hoses have been replaced (a few weeks ago) along with the spark plugs. Today I removed the water pump, one word NASTY. Now the question is, do I bite the bullet and do the OptiSpark while I am this far apart. It's a pretty easy job to remove the waterpump so I am tempted to re-assemble it, finish the tune up and see how it runs. If it still doesn't run then do the OptiSpark, the thing is the OptiSpark is like $350. There was GUNK in the thermostat area too, they must have added leak fix stuff.
Attachments
thermostat gunk
thermostat gunk
IMG_1022.JPG (77.43 KiB) Viewed 7595 times
dirty OptiSpark
dirty OptiSpark
IMG_1020.JPG (101.37 KiB) Viewed 7595 times
water pump shaft bearing
water pump shaft bearing
IMG_1021.JPG (102.27 KiB) Viewed 7595 times
Matt Sutter
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I would do it now. That's a sucky job, and even worse in the car. If you plan to keep the car, you'd be saving yourself some time.

-BP
wxo

Post by wxo »

Since the coolant is so yucky, are you planning to flush out the block, too? What about the radiator?
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

@ Walt. I was going to remove the radiator and run water through it. As for the block I'll probably just put the hose in one side and out the other. That's tougher because the car is inoperable in the garage. Hopefully I can use a plastic sheet or something to divert the water.

@ Paul. I was afraid that's what you would say. Guess I need to start saving for that. ; )

While I'm at it I am going to do the AIR pump delete, GM TCB for 95-96 but same on 94. I am going to install a lower temp thermostat too.

MY question, I seem to recall being told it was okay to drill a tiny hole in the side of the thermostat flange to allow trapped air out without the thermostat being open. Do you think this is okay? I am going to do a little further research too on this.
Matt Sutter
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

That I've never heard of before....

Also, start looking for a cheap power programmer for that car. There are used ones on the net pretty cheap, and it will help the car run right on the lower temp thermostat. It does other cool stuff too.

-BP