2008 Trailblazer SS

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

wxo

Re: 2008 Trailblazer SS

Post by wxo »

Well, if I get a tenth out of the launch, that's just one tenth more that Maverick's going to have to overcome. He's awfully close. :shock:
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

My dad always said... If somebody thinks they are faster than you, tell them "show me the slip."

GM
wxo

Hot rod hack

Post by wxo »

Since I have a two week wait for my turn at the body shop, I thought it would be a good idea if I had a left turn signal after the deer ate it. After removing a thousand pieces of broken left headlight and housing I found a chopped off stub of a turn signal harness and no bulb and socket. Well, I dug around in the two boxes of pieces and found the socket parts and bulb and was able to put them together. The wires had several places where the shards had cut through the insulation so I used heat shrink tubing to repair them and then soldered the socket onto the stub of the wiring harness. I bought a new bulb and now had a working signal but it was open to the elements. In addition it was not as bright as I had hoped, so I looked for a way to protect it from rain water and make it a bit brighter. My answer was in the medicine cabinet. I found an amber pill bottle that just fit over the bulb. I used a little gorilla tape and a couple of zip ties to hold it in place and the new hack worked like a charm.
IMG_3029 small.jpg
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Looks legal to me. :wink:
Maverick
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I'm laughing for real right now! That's an awesome fix. That Gorilla tape is awesome stuff. We have a turn signal at work on a big truck that has been Gorilla taped down for months now. It's a whole big assembly that sticks out from the top of the fender.

-BP
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

Can you somehow work ram-air into this situation. I'm
thinking of the 60's drag cars without a headlight and just
some screen over the hole where it used to be. Make some
lemonade out of the lemons!!! ( and zip tie the pill bottle
to the screen!! )

GM
wxo

Post by wxo »

I can feel the ram air effect when running 70 on the interstate. The truck pulls to the left a little.
wxo

In the shop

Post by wxo »

I took Smoke to my body man on Sunday. He is currently wrangling with State Farm. Their estimate included a non-SS grill. They apparently don't like the fact that an SS grill costs $700. My lighting wiring harness is torn up on the left side from the shattered headlight. They want him to splice it rather than replace it. I don't like that very much. :evil:
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

That's really disappointing. I wouldn't expect that from State Farm. Disallowing the SS grille is outrageous.
Maverick
wxo

Post by wxo »

Maverick wrote:That's really disappointing. I wouldn't expect that from State Farm. Disallowing the SS grille is outrageous.
They haven't disallowed it..yet. Negotiations with the body shop are ongoing. Lloyd is a good advocate.
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

If they do disallow it, you should contact these guys. http://www.ncdoi.com/Consumer/
Maverick
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

I do not recommend State Farm to anyone. Unfortunately you are learning why after the damage is done. They are really tight about claims. It will be interesting to see if your rates go up.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
wxo

State Farm

Post by wxo »

To be fair, I feel compelled to defend State Farm here, at least until the latest jury comes in. I've been with them since 1977. That's 39 years! Up until now, claims I've filed have been quickly and satisfactorily paid. Examples would be my totaled Z28 Camaro a few years ago and Randi's Avalon deer strike this year. Based on this experience, once the dust settles, I believe my truck will be whole again. If my rates go up, though, I will certainly not be a happy car guy. Time will tell.
Maverick

State Farm has been OK, I think

Post by Maverick »

I've also had State Farm Insurance forever. Well, almost forever. Since 1955 with the exception of 2 years in the Army. Had very few claims but they've treated me fairly when a claim was necessary. However, I'm paying $700+ for six months for the three cars. Seems expensive but the purchase prices and repair costs are soooo high I guess the premiums have to go up.
Maverick
wxo

Post by wxo »

Happy New Year y'all!
Maverick and I visited the shop last week and saw that the new fender, driver's door and hood were finished with painting. They looked really good. Friday I got a note from my body shop. The State Farm adjuster came and approved everything. All the parts should arrive tomorrow and Tuesday and we should see some good progress this coming week.