1972 Maverick Sprint - Phase 2

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Fred32v

Re: 1972 Maverick Sprint - Phase 2

Post by Fred32v »

Looking forward to the install video. :)
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
oldvettedad

Post by oldvettedad »

Impressive progress. Looks like it was a little easier the "second" time. You are going to have some fun weeks ahead. Can't wait to see it come together! :D
Maverick

On the Pallet

Post by Maverick »

I'm keeping the front sump pan, and oil pickup since the buyer needs a rear sump. Also keeping the cast alum "Powered by Ford" valve covers, which are just sitting on there to keep dirt out. But, basically, the engine is on the pallet.

Screwed the 4X4s to the pallet.

Engine will be secured to the pallet with nylon straps for transport.

Maverick
Maverick

Feelin' Lazy

Post by Maverick »

Nice day to day but not much ambition. Did manage to get the engine strapped down and a start at cleaning the engine bay. Sure got dirty in a year. It'll look better when those loose wires are tucked away.

Maverick
oldvettedad

Post by oldvettedad »

The Maverick is a driver not a trailer queen. It is going to get dirty. That said, it looked pretty clean to me.:lol:
Maverick

Torque Converter

Post by Maverick »

I've been looking online at TCs today. I'm not looking to spend $500 on one. The description on this one http://www.edgeracingconverters.com/ind ... ducts_id=7 seems to fit my needs but final decision will be made after dyno results are in. Comments?

A cooler will be part of the plan. Trans temp was running 210* at 70+ MPH cruise. That's with stock stall and 302. Higher stall and 347 will no doubt raise the trans temp.
Maverick
Maverick

347 Stroker will be ready tomorrow

Post by Maverick »

The 347 will be finished tomorrow. WXO and I will pick it up in the PM. It'll be dynoed with a 650 CFM carb (that they trust) for a base line and then again after we arrive with my 600 Summit carb. I'm eager to see the numbers with the somewhat tamed (heads, cam, compression) engine as contrasted with the advertised 425 HP with the wilder components. In the car, power will be further reduced by shortie headers, accessories and drive line. Don't really know what to expect from a chassis dyno but it should be a lot better than the 200 RWHP 5.0.
Maverick
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

I'll be interested in seeing the difference in HP from the engine dyno to the chassis dyno.
Good stuff!

-Dave
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

TireSmoker wrote:I'll be interested in seeing the difference in HP from the engine dyno to the chassis dyno.
Good stuff!

-Dave
Hey Dave,

Yes, not sure when I'll get to the chassis dyno. It'll depend a lot on how the engine runs in the car.

Jim
Maverick
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

WXO and I arrived at Prestige Motors about 12:45PM. Shop was all open but no one was around. The 347 was sitting on the dyno, still warm. :D Had lunch at a diner across the street and back to the shop at about 1:30. Senior (engine builder) was working on the engine and explained there was a problem, probably with the new Pertronix dist. Rev limiter was set at 9K (to effectively disable it) but the engine would begin to miss about 5800 RPM. Sounded like valve float to me but Senior said "no way". He put a Malory distributor on the engine and it did about the same thing at 5600-5800 RPM. So he started looking around for other causes. Found the battery was weak and thought low volatage might be causing the electronic ignition to fail. Charged the battery, put the Pertronix dist back on, and did another pull. This time the engine just cut off at about the same RPM, and picked up as RPMs fell some. Put the Malory back on and the engine pulled well (with 12 volts) to about 6200 RPM. Conclusion: defective Pertronix.

Good news is the less agressive heads (170 runners), milder cam, and reduced (9.0:1) compression still produced POWER!! 425 peak HP @ 5700 and 418 peak Ft Lbs @ 4400 RPM. :shock: (Think that's about when we asked about dyno calibration.)

Then their 650 QuikFuel carb was removed and my 600 Summit carb was installed. Smaller carb had 410 HP @5700 and 411 Ft Lbs @ 4500.

We brought the engine home with their Mallory distributor one it. They'll get a replacement Pertronix dist, we'll install the engine and drive the Maverick back there so they can take their dist off and install the replacement Pertronix.

I'm SO glad I bought (kinda) local!! Can't imagine trying to trouble shoot the problems with the engine in the car and no dyno.

"Widely scattered showers" were predicted for this PM so Senior wrapped the engine in plastic and we tied it down in the trailer and we left about 5PM. Thought we were going to make it home with just a few sprinkles but about 20 miles from home the sky opened up. We were doing 30 MPH on Interstate 40 and the HARD rain continued all the way home. Fortunately, I had a garage stall cleared and ready to back the trailer in. We unwrapped the engine and found very little water on it. I'll get it off the trailer tomorrow and get it ready to go in. I'll get things organized and WXO will come over sometime soon and we'll set the engine in place.

All-in-all, we had a fun time and we're thrilled with the numbers. Keep thinking about a full throttle 1-2 upshift that pulls that engine down into the peak torque range. :mrgreen:

WXO was working his camera and will add pictures and video when his power and Roadrunner are back up. :(

Thanks, WXO, for your help. Sure is more fun with the buddy system. 8)
Maverick
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

I'm impressed. Over 400hp in that little ride should be all over the 13's at the strip.
A little chassis work, slicks, open headers and it's 12's. You'll be ready to spank
Oldvettedad's big 409. Grins!!
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Fred32v wrote:I'm impressed. Over 400hp in that little ride should be all over the 13's at the strip.
A little chassis work, slicks, open headers and it's 12's. You'll be ready to spank
Oldvettedad's big 409.
Grins!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

This morning I'm a little suspicious of the numbers. They seem too good to be true. Hard to believe no loss in peak HP with smaller heads, tamer cam, and 1.5 less compression. I may have to spring for a chassis dyno just out of curiousity. Agree, open headers, or even long tubes, would probably make a big difference. Would LOVE to be in the 13s. We'll see.
Maverick
VeeDub

Post by VeeDub »

Fred32v wrote:I'm impressed. Over 400hp in that little ride
I agree - that much power in a smaller car will be great! :mrgreen:
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Maverick wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This morning I'm a little suspicious of the numbers. They seem too good to be true. Hard to believe no loss in peak HP with smaller heads, tamer cam, and 1.5 less compression. I may have to spring for a chassis dyno just out of curiousity. Agree, open headers, or even long tubes, would probably make a big difference. Would LOVE to be in the 13s. We'll see.
Did you actually see them change out those parts? You might need a bit of octane boost.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
wxo

Re: 1972 Maverick Sprint - Phase 2 347 dyno pictures

Post by wxo »

As promised, some pictures of yesterdays entertainment: