1972 Maverick Sprint - Phase 2

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Basement Paul

Re: 1972 Maverick Sprint - Phase 2

Post by Basement Paul »

I thought the Mavericks were bigger than that in the engine bay.... sounds like the 302 block is a much easier way to go.

I do think a looser converter would still be a significant asset and not hurt your driveability. I put a 3000 stall 10" converter in my Cadillac, and driving down the freeway not under power, the new converter was actually tighter than the stock converter which stalled at about 2000.

-BP
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

supercharging won't make the engine any wider 8)
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

MostMint wrote:supercharging won't make the engine any wider 8)
That would be fun if I could make it work but the NA carb is giving me enough challenges.

Agree on the higher stall converter. The 347 builder recommends 2500 stall for his ebay engine. For street use, the C4 guru on the Maverick forum says the converter should stall about 500 RPM less than cruise RPMS. Haven't checked RPMs with the taller tires yet, but with the 14s it turned 3000 at 70 MPH/3200 at 75. If I get the 347, I'm thinking 2500 stall converter. Engine builder says I won't be able to hook up with that. If he's right, there's not a lot of incentive to go higher stall.
Maverick
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Maverick wrote:Engine builder says I won't be able to hook up with that.
That engine builder is NOT right. Why would you not want to get to the motor's peak power.
I had a built 461 Olds with a stock converter and it was a dog, changed the converter
and I could tear the tires off, but my ETs dropped a huge amount.
How much of that power gets to the road has to do with your right foot.
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Hey Fred,

Maybe he said a minimum of 2500. Not sure.

I have no experience with high stall converters but I assuming if in normal service the engine is running substantially under the stall speed there's a lot of slippage going on in the converter. Right? I want a TC and gears that do well around town and on the Interstates. The one or two 1/8th mile runs are just to see what it will do.

Thanks for your comments. This stuff is new to me.

Jim
Maverick
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

If you stay with an 11" stall converter, you won't have any cruising issues. You're not talking about a 4000 stall converter here where nothing happens until the motor is over 2500 rpms. If you get an 11" converter with a 2500 stall, it really won't be much different around town and on the freeway until you put the juice to it, that's when it starts to work and makes the car much more responsive everywhere. If the tires start to spin, you just give it a little less gass, but it will make your car feel much stronger without giving up driveablity.

-BP
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Basement Paul wrote:If you stay with an 11" stall converter, you won't have any cruising issues. You're not talking about a 4000 stall converter here where nothing happens until the motor is over 2500 rpms. If you get an 11" converter with a 2500 stall, it really won't be much different around town and on the freeway until you put the juice to it, that's when it starts to work and makes the car much more responsive everywhere. If the tires start to spin, you just give it a little less gass, but it will make your car feel much stronger without giving up driveablity.

-BP
That's what I was hoping for. :) Now, just gotta find a buyer for the 5.0.
Maverick
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Have a guy from the Maverick forum that's quite interested in the 5.0. If we do the deal, he wants to meet me in SC, about an hour South of Charlotte. I offered to deliver the engine for gas money, but NOT taking it to Florida. :shock:

The other guy that would like to have it is in ONTARIO. He was considering meeting me in Michigan. Haven't heard from him since I told him it would be 1600 miles round trip at 15 MPG. :lol:

Maverick
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

It appears the 5.0 is sold. :mrgreen: Plan is to haul it to Spartanburg, SC on 9/18. Buyer is to send a money order this weekend for half the purchase price. Then it will be time to get moving on the 347. :D Maybe I can make a stop in Charlotte on the way back from delivering the 5.0 and pick up the 347?? Gotta get over to Charlotte and see how things are going with the builder. Can't believe this is really coming together. Half expect the buyer to change his mind. Does it sound like I'm excited about this??? :D
Maverick
oldvettedad

Post by oldvettedad »

WOW! I'm gone for a week or two and you are moving at blazing speed! Great about the progress on Phase 2! Converters are like a black art. But your instincts are right about having too high a stall speed. It won't lock up at low rpm driving speeds. 2500 stall should be no problem. The only "problem" is that not all 2500 stall converters are the same. For street use, you probably don't want a small converter (8 inch or so). I've also heard that the heavier the car the larger diameter needed, although I have no idea what the rule of thumb is. Eleven inch might be fine for your maverick. If you could find someone with a comparable combination that works, I'd follow that lead. Not sure of street rule of thumb, but for racing the rule of thumb is appx 1500 rpm below shift RPM for stall speed. Thats why i needed a 7500 stall converter with the modified race engine (shift at 8800 to 8900), and now I need a 5000 stall converter, but I'm making due with a 3500 stall cause its what i have. But they all react differntly even if they are same diameter and same stall!
I can't wait to see this one go together. You are like a human dynamo for such an old guy :mrgreen:
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Welcome back! (Where were you?)
You are like a human dynamo for such an old guy :mrgreen:

Can't wait to show Lois that one. :lol: She WILL get a laugh. :mrgreen:

Am glad to hear WXO is also up for this project, incl road trip(s). 8)
Maverick
oldvettedad

Post by oldvettedad »

Its been a hectic couple of weeks. It started with a 2 day race in Numidia Pa on Aug 6 and 7. The next day is wasted because i got home at 2:30 AM Sunday night. I had to get ready for a week at the Jersey shore (Long Beach Island), and a 2 day race as soon as I got back. So i had to get the car turned around and loaded up before i left for jersey on Aug 12. So the week of Aug 8 to 12 was hectic getting ready to ggo to 2 different things. The week at the beach was fun, came homeFriday Aug19 about 9PM, left for 2 days at Lebanon valley Raceway 6 AM Saturday. So I haven't been doing muc "internet" lately. Now its 3 weeks to the next race. I need it, lots of maintenance on the rade car, just finished fixing a power window on my Pontiac driver, and I need to carburetor work on the Corvette! And i'm now planning a "phase 2" for the Corvette this winter (at least thats what i think).
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

The 347 is ordered. :D :D :D

I've been on the fence about buying the 347 crate engine for months. WXO & I checked out Prestige Motors, about 20 miles N of Charlotte, back in May. We liked what we saw then, except the shop didn't have much going on. Today I did a surprise visit to see what's up now and found them busier. There were a few new projects going on and six engines in various states of completion. The 347 short block that was there in May is gone.

Here's what will be in the 347:

WXO will come over Wednesday and we'll see how far we get with pulling the 5.0. 347 should be ready in about 2 weeks. :D We'll take the 5.0 to Spartenburg, SC and deliver it to the buyer on 9/18. Would like to get the 347 installed while the 5.0 is still here to make sure I get everything I need off it. (Can't say how many trips I made back to the 302 after I thought I had everything off it for the 5.0.)
Maverick
oldvettedad

Post by oldvettedad »

I love it when a plan comes together! :lol:
Maverick

5.0 Out

Post by Maverick »

It was a beautiful morning for a fun project. 8) WXO came over at 9 AM and by 5 we had the 5.0 and C4 out and separated. I'll clean up the mess and organize things tomorrow. :mrgreen:

OOPS, thought I rotated this one. :( BP, do you recognize the X-pipe?

Maverick