1972 Maverick Sprint - Phase 2

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

MostMint

Re: 1972 Maverick Sprint - Phase 2

Post by MostMint »

It'll be fun to watch this unfold. I'm guessing .4 in the first 60' once you get it dialed in.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
Maverick

Drag Radials

Post by Maverick »

Wife and I went to New Bern today to get the drag radials. The seller threw in a pair of CCI 15X7 wheels. They have the 5X4.5" bolt pattern but the wheels have about a 5.25" backspace which is about an inch too much. I'm looking around a little for some used 1" spacers but that's REALLY not my first choice. I'll keep looking for wheels with the right dimensions.

As far as I can tell, there are no OEM Ford 15X7 wheels with 5X4.5" lugs and 4-4.5" backspace. There were some Mopar wheels like that (police cars, at least) but they're not too easy to find anymore.

Plan to walk around a junk yard tomorrow and check for aftermarket wheels on Fords and Chrysler product OEM and aftermarket wheels.

If I have to buy new ones its going to be tempting to bite the bullet and get some matching Cragars. :roll: They WOULD look nice in the pictures. :mrgreen:
Maverick
wxo

Post by wxo »

OR....you could join us at Carlisle to look for some. We would help you. :twisted:
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

wxo wrote:OR....you could join us at Carlisle to look for some. We would help you. :twisted:
Can't wait that long -- gotta get back to the strip. 8) And, they'd probably be one of those weird GM bolt patterns. :mrgreen:
Maverick
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Maybe oldvettedad has a set of wheels for you and he could join us at GM Carlisle with one of his sweet rides.
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
oldvettedad

Re: Drag Radials

Post by oldvettedad »

Maverick wrote: I'm looking around a little for some used 1" spacers but that's REALLY not my first choice. I'll keep looking for wheels with the right dimensions.
onee inch spacer is too much. I doubt your studs are long enough for that. Keep looking.
Fred32v wrote:Maybe oldvettedad has a set of wheels for you and he could join us at GM Carlisle with one of his sweet rides.
Sorry i don't have any wheels for Maverick. Thanks for the invite, but I'm a litt;e busy right now. Waiting for the 5 speed to finish rebuilding for the Corvette, need to build a motor for the Chevy II and get thee tranny an converter back for that, and Finishing a renovation on the house. I barely have enough time to act retired (thats retired not retarded) :lol:
wxo

Post by wxo »

Hmmm....it just occurred to me that you might be able to have the backspacing modified on your current wheels. Check around locally to see if anyone (Mike Cole?) will do it. If not, lets cut them apart and we'll do it ourselves. 8) (Can you just imagine the outer rim and tire rolling down the strip with the center section still bolted to the hub?) :lol:
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

onee inch spacer is too much. I doubt your studs are long enough for that. Keep looking
One inch spaces bolt onto the hub using the existing studs and come with another, clocked set of studs to mount the wheel. Think the existing studs have to be shortened a bit to not interfer with the wheel. http://www.americanmuscle.com/1in-bille ... acers.html
Maverick
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

wxo wrote:Hmmm....it just occurred to me that you might be able to have the backspacing modified on your current wheels. Check around locally to see if anyone (Mike Cole?) will do it. If not, lets cut them apart and we'll do it ourselves. 8) (Can you just imagine the outer rim and tire rolling down the strip with the center section still bolted to the hub?) :lol:
Sounds like fun but who can we find to test the wheels on THEIR car? :lol: Need to check the Chrysler products big old cars and vans for the right wheels. Didn't make it to the junk yard today because of the rain. Did, however, find all the parts needed for the TC swap. Took me 5 stops!!

I'm going to have a new bushing pressed into the tail housing while the the tranny is out. Griffin Transmissions on Corporation drive will install the bushing for me. Recall that I swapped the old tail housing onto the new transmission because the drive shaft yoke hung up on the (distorted?) bushing and wouldn't go onto the tail shaft. Ended up with an output shaft bushing that had 58K miles on it. Didn't think it would be a problem, but since there is a vibration in the drive train somewhere it should get a new bushing while the transmission is out.

We'll have to take a break in the middle of the job and run the tail housing to Groffin's.
Maverick
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Maverick wrote:
Can't wait that long -- gotta get back to the strip. 8)
Someone has been bitten by the bug.. :-)

-Dave
oldvettedad

Post by oldvettedad »

Maverick wrote:
onee inch spacer is too much. I doubt your studs are long enough for that. Keep looking
One inch spaces bolt onto the hub using the existing studs and come with another, clocked set of studs to mount the wheel. Think the existing studs have to be shortened a bit to not interfer with the wheel. http://www.americanmuscle.com/1in-bille ... acers.html
Oh, I was thinking of this when you said spacers
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CAL-202372/

Funny, i always thought about the spacers you showed as "adapters" to adapt to a different bolt circle. Never thought of them just as a spacer. Live and learn :idea:
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

TireSmoker wrote:
Maverick wrote:
Can't wait that long -- gotta get back to the strip. 8)
Someone has been bitten by the bug.. :-)

-Dave
I donno. I am eager to see what it will do. Once I know that there probably won't be much reason to go again. Don't have any more improvements planned.
Maverick
wxo

Post by wxo »

So...what will you do if we race and you get really close to beating the Trailblazer, but don't quite get there? :twisted:
Or...what if you do beat me, but not by much? I will need a re-match. :mrgreen:
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

You go for FUN and practice, practice, practice, and of course FUN! :D
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

This speed thing is a disease. You go your fastest, then there's always something that can
make you a bit faster. It's almost impossible to say I'm fast enough, especially when you
have someone else who's within reach that you want to be faster than. Maverick won't be
happy until he's faster than Wxo. Wxo better not sit and wait, Maverick is close. Pretty soon
both guys are in the 12's. You don't want to be the guy who's not on top! I've lived this problem
for my whole driving life!

GM