1972 Maverick Sprint - Phase 2

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

oldvettedad

Re: 1972 Maverick Sprint - Phase 2

Post by oldvettedad »

Way to go! Its not tooting your own horn. Its just showing that people appreciate a well done car. And it is nice to have your hard work appreciated.
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Yep, it's time step and enjoy the fruits of your labor. VERY nice, just the second of many.
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
Maverick

Spring Perches

Post by Maverick »

When the steering and suspension were rebuilt, new spring perches were also installed. But, the right front has been creaking and groaning ever since.

Ford made spring perches in the 60s with bronze bushings but by '72 they were using rubber bushings that are IMPOSSIBLE to turn. Clamp them in a vise as use any tool you want -- you probably won't budge them.

The bushings are supposed to allow the lower shock and spring mount to rotate as the suspension is comressed and the upper A-frame rotates. The rubber bushings are so tight they bind and cause side loading on the springs and shocks. Replacing them with greaseable bronze bushings not only allows the suspension to move more freely but also more QUIETLY.

There's a shop over by Charlotte that converts the rubber to bronze bushings. Got the original ones done and they arrived today.

Installed them and no more creaking and groaning as the car is jacked. THINK its fixed. I'll give it a test drive tomorrow. They're supposed to improve ride too. We'll see.
Last edited by Maverick on Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maverick
wxo

Post by wxo »

It just keeps getting better. Maybe the bronze bushings, grease and zerk fittings will add enough weight to slow you down some. :mrgreen:
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

wxo wrote:It just keeps getting better. Maybe the bronze bushings, grease and zerk fittings will add enough weight to slow you down some. :mrgreen:
We gotta get down to Fayetteville to the 1/4 mile strip to see how accurate those 1/8-1/4 conversion tables are. :?:

Saw a 7 5/8 helmet on CR for $25 but haven't followed up. Sounds a little BIG.
Maverick
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

wxo wrote:It just keeps getting better. Maybe the bronze bushings, grease and zerk fittings will add enough weight to slow you down some. :mrgreen:
It's nothing that aluminum heads or a little lexan can't fix :D
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
oldvettedad

Post by oldvettedad »

You should have gone to the 1/4 mile while the weather was still cool! If its too hot the performance will probably fall off a bit.
Maverick

Re: Spring Perches

Post by Maverick »

Maverick wrote:
Installed them and no more creaking and groaning as the car is jacked. THINK its fixed. I'll give it a test drive tomorrow. They're supposed to improve ride too. We'll see.
What a difference!! The suspension always seemed kinda harsh on small bumps. Like the tires were overinflated. Not now!

Something I didn't expect was improved steering. Before the steering and suspension was rebuilt the car was a chore to keep in lane. After the rebuild, and alignment, it was very much improved but still wandered a little. That's gone now. Its a better driving car with the bronze-bushed spring perches. And, no creaks and groans.
Maverick
Maverick

PCV Valve

Post by Maverick »

I've never been completely satisfied with the idle on either the 5.0 or the 347. The 347 improved a lot with the MSD ignition and Quick Fuel carb but will still get rough if idling for a minute in gear with AC and electric fan on and the 100 amp alternator pumping juice to them. There have been some hints that the PCV valve isn't behaving as it should so I'm trying to learn how it should behave and how to test it. I suspect its causing some idle issues.

See http://www.tiresmoke.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1239 for a reference on PCV Systems.

I braved today's 100* temp for a few minutes and did the vacuum test on the sealed crank case suggested by the reference. Instead of the 1-3 in Hg called for, it had 10 and climbing when I pulled a hose off to avoid creating problems with seals and gaskets. I think it would have gone to full idle vacuum.

After a break in the house, I also checked the valve to see if the plunger is in the full up position with idle vacuum. Its not. Then checked the idle drop when the PCV hose to the carb is blocked. Instead of 50-80 RMP drop, as called for by the reference, it dropped the idle by 200 RPM. It looks like there's too much flow thru the PCV valve when idling.

Have not been able to locate any specs on PCV valves, even though its important to match the PCV to modified engine size and idle vacuum. I may order this one http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BSP-22120/ since I saw a post somewhere saying that valve can be disassembled and, if its not right for the 347, I may be able to modify it.
Maverick
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Never closed off the idle issues discussion. Between more timing on idle, 2400 stall converter, new PCV valve and a little higher idle speed its fine now. It just doesn't like to idle below about 850 for very long. I think that carb, manifold and cam just don't work well on slow idle.

The Sprint went up for sale on the Maverick forum today. http://mmb.maverick.to/showthread.php?t=89386

I'm spending on the F100 project now and I really shouldn't have a lot of money tied up in two hobby cars. Since the building is even more than the owning, its time to try to sell the Maverick. However, if it doesn't sell I won't be disappointed. :mrgreen:
Maverick
wxo

Post by wxo »

WHOA!!! I can't believe what I'm reading. Say it ain't so...
Wait!...on second thought, maybe the F100 will be a bit slower. Goodbye competition!
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

wxo wrote:WHOA!!! I can't believe what I'm reading. Say it ain't so...
Wait!...on second thought, maybe the F100 will be a bit slower. Goodbye competition!
If the F100 is slower, I'll be wanting a 408 stroker short block. :mrgreen:
Maverick
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Don't have acces to the Maverick sight, how about putting something into the TireSmoke "Wanted and For Sale".
Quite a surprise, it's been a fun project to follow.
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I'm speechless. To me the driving and owning is much more fun than wrenching. I do think it's cool how nice you've made that Maverick and hopefully the next owner will really appreciate it.

Good luck!

-BP
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Fred32v wrote:Don't have acces to the Maverick sight, how about putting something into the TireSmoke "Wanted and For Sale".
Quite a surprise, it's been a fun project to follow.
You should have access to mmb.maverick.to without registering. But, here's what I put in the "For Sale" forum.

My Sprint is up for sale to finance and make room for my new F100 project. There are pictures in my Gallery.

Features:

o Original Sprint with factory 302, C4, AC, PS and AM
- 58K miles when I got it in 2008
o Complete restoration, 2008-2010. Probably close to 2000 hours of work.
o 347 Stroker by Prestige Motorsports
- Dart Pro 1 heads
- QuickFuel SS 650 carb
- Edelbrock Air Gap intake
- MSD ignition: 6AL and e-curve distributor
- 274 HP and 317 ft lbs torque at the rear wheels
o Champion aluminum radiator
o Taurus Electric Fan
o 100 amp alternator
o Doug Thorley Shorties, 2.5" exhaust pipes, Thrush Turbo mufflers
o Broader Performance 500 HP S/S C4 with TCI 2400 stall converter and trans cooler
o Classic Auto Air underhood kit with all new AC components including Sanden compressor
o Traction Loc 8" rear end
o Lakewood traction bars
o Cragar SS wheels and BFG Radial TAs
o Maverick front disks with new rotors, bearings, disks, hard and rubber lines and rebuilt callipers and master cyl
o Complete steering and suspension rebuild
o Rebuilt power steering ram and all new hoses
o NASON single stage urethane paint with Graphics Express hood decals
o New windshield and all new weatherstripping
o Complete new interior with bucket seats, original Sprint material from SMS and upholstery by Fred Carillo
o Mustang fuel tank
o Auto Meter gauges for water temp, oil pressure, voltmeter and trans temp
o Auto Gauge tach
o Rechromed bumpers by Tri-Cities

Performance:

o 8.286 sec at 85.76 MPH in 1/8 translates to very high 12s for the 1/4 mile
o 1.942 60' time

Extra Parts:

o Hood, trunk lid, and grill all in excellent condition
o Everything Maverick goes, 302 AC shroud, gauge cluster, and many other small parts.

Awards:

o Best Ford 1970s, 18th Annual Butner Chicken Pickin'
o Sponsor's Choice by Dunn-Benson Ford, Full Throttle Car Club
o Top 20 1985 And Under, Stangs R Us All Ford Show
o Top 10 Classics, Carolina Collector Auto Fest
o Featured in "Ford Racing" Ford Fan Spotlight

Any questions, please PM or email me.
Maverick