1972 Maverick Sprint - Phase 2

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

wxo

Re: 1972 Maverick Sprint - Phase 2

Post by wxo »

Next time we go to the strip I'm removing my mongo sway bar. That thing must weigh about a hunnert pounds.
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Been thinking about your comment about a higher stall converter. Have you looked for any info to indicate what it might do for you?

Something to think about: my transmission runs about 20*-30* higher with the 2400 stall converter. Might be a good idea to install a temp gauge first if you're thinking about going that way.

Seems like any higher stall you'd want to run on the street would only help you on launch but someone said every 10th off the 60' time is worth two 10ths in the quarter.
Maverick
wxo

Post by wxo »

Yep. I've rejected the idea for several reasons. First, it will probably void my drivetrain warranty which goes until 2013 some time.
Second, it will affect my gas mileage around town which is not that great anyway (~15 mpg). The majority of the miles I put on Smoke is local. Third, which is related to number two, is that now that I'm down to one vehicle for all my driving, racing is such a small portion of its use that the drawbacks override the benefits to my ET.
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

I share your priorities. The only reason the 2400 stall converter went in the Maverick was to make the 347 more suited to driving around town. It just doesn't like to run at low RPMs. Would not have done it just to improve ET.
Maverick
wxo

Post by wxo »

In my spare brain cycles I'm trying to think of things that will make it go faster. Underdrive pulleys was one that came to mind. I don't know much about them. I'll need to investigate. Not sure how much it might improve the ol' ET for the money spent.
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I've done underdrive pulleys on a couple different vehicles and you're guaranteed a tenth or slightly more, but you will notice some improvement in fuel mileage too. I recommend it.

-BP
Maverick

Exhaust and Sway Bar Mounts

Post by Maverick »

Took the Maverick to Henry's Muffler in Raleigh. Had the X-pipe removed and replaced it with two removable 3" sections of exhaust pipe. Should be able to take down the cross member (to adjust the modulator), maybe remove the tail housing (to get to the malfuncioning governor), maybe even get the transmission out (no plans to do that) without disturbing the exhaust system. Worst case, only one 3' section of exhaust pipe should have to come down to do any of that.

Pipes are a little louder but there's no annoying drone. 8)

They also welded in the sub-frame reinforcements to mount the rear sway bar (picture shows it ready to be welded) and put a dent in the DS exhaust pipe so I can make left U-turns now.

The guy worked 3 hours steady on it and the bill was $100. :D Hope I can send some business their way.
Maverick
Maverick

1st Annual FTCC Car Show

Post by Maverick »

A new all Ford, Mercury, and Lincoln car club has been formed in the area South of Raleigh. http://www.fullthrottlecarclub.com/joomla/ One of the sponsors is the Dunn-Benson Ford Dealership http://www.dunnbensonford.com/. There are members as far North as Creedmoor and as far East as Jacksonville, NC but most are from the Dunn-Benson area. Its the only local Ford-oriented club that will accept Mavericks.

We held our first car show today at the dealership. I guess there were 35-40 cars there which I think wasn't bad for the first show with a questionable weather forecast. Weather held for the show but I drove thru a torrential rain on the way home. Fortunately, no hail but my wife reported we got some marble-sized hail at our house while I was gone.

Would you believe there were two Maverick Sprints there??

I met the owner of the other Sprint at the Spring Carolina Collector Car Fest in Raleigh this year. She had seen my car on the road and rushed home to see if her's was still in the driveway. That's probably half the Maverick Sprints in NC at that little show. :mrgreen:

My Sprint got the Sponsors Choice trophy from the dealership. :D

Maverick
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

OK!! Congradulations! That trophy is a sweet reward. Grins :)
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
oldvettedad

Post by oldvettedad »

Congrats on the trophy. Its nice to see you car and work appreciated. But the best looking driver trophy has to go to the other Maverick! You're lookin good Jim, but she's got it all over you :lol:
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Both cars look real nice. I'm curious if the differences on her car are factory options or creativity on the part of the restorer? As I recall from your restore the grill and hood are as originally came on the car. Can't recall about the rear wing.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

oldvettedad wrote:Congrats on the trophy. Its nice to see you car and work appreciated. But the best looking driver trophy has to go to the other Maverick! You're lookin good Jim, but she's got it all over you :lol:
Check. :mrgreen:
Maverick
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

MostMint wrote:Both cars look real nice. I'm curious if the differences on her car are factory options or creativity on the part of the restorer? As I recall from your restore the grill and hood are as originally came on the car. Can't recall about the rear wing.
Yes, my hood and grille are restored to original. Hers has the Grabber grille with lights and emblem and a Comet GT hood scoop. My spoiler is for a '69 Mach 1. Hers has the Grabber spoiler on the trunk lid which didn't come on the Sprint. I have the Camaro bucket seats -- hers has the oriinal bench seat. Her under hood was pretty much original -- mine not so much. :mrgreen: The most obvious difference in originality was her white paint was way too white.

BTW, I'm assembling parts to swap the grille to have those lights but plan to have clear lenses and use them as running lights, not turn signals/parking lights. Don't think I'll use the "Maverick" grille emblem.
Maverick
Maverick

Got Another One :)

Post by Maverick »

The wife and I spent the day at the 18th Annual Butner (NC) Chicken Pickin' car show, craft, food, etc event. It was a beautiful day for it -- 80*, sunny, breezy and low humidity. Had about 200 cars and lots of people.

There was a 60s Comet but no other '70s Comets or Mavericks. Not a lot of '70s Fords there but the Sprint got the Best '70s Ford trophy.

Heard about two other Mavericks in the area and a small all-Ford club that I/we will check out next week.

It was a fun day.

(Not trying to toot my own horn here, but this thread is the record of my Maverick project. Gotta include the trophies. :) )
Maverick
VeeDub

Post by VeeDub »

Thats cool. All that hard work, I bet it feels good to win those. Congrats!