cheap car racing

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

MostMint

Re: cheap car racing

Post by MostMint »

Lots done today:

window net installed
oil cooler installed (still needs attached to the engine)
2 extra tires - rims cleaned, new tires mounted and balanced
downpipe with heat wrap - installed, fixed the broken stud at the back of the downpipe
seat bracket - welded and seat installed
more work cleaning up the door internals (cleaning up the newly cut edges)
drip rail on window installed
new fuel filter installed
pattern for hood design and #5 created/cut
brake ducts designed and installed for the front
new pads and rotors for front installed
caulked the rear windows
put a strap on the door open rod
reinstall OE sub frame bolt with extension welded to the "nut"
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Lots more done today. Oil cooler install complete. CB radio installed, padding for roll cage reinstalled, headlights aimed. Took the car for a drive to test the new brakes, exhaust, oil cooler, radio.

Tested emergency exit. Practiced driver changes.

Here's some pics I took earlier in the day before all that stuff happened:
-BP[/quote]
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

And best of all, aside from the Grade 8 washers for our seat mount, WE ARE READY FOR TECH INSPECTION!!

-Dave
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:

-BP
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Basement Paul wrote:Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:

-BP
Our car theme is Saturn V Rocket. So yes it is a mint rocket ship 8)

Rachel did the art work
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Took the car out tonight for some night driving in the rain.

Observations:

The extra headlights are a big help. Out on the back country roads there was a noticeable improvement in visibility with the second set of lights

Water does not come in on you. The back of the seat had some droplets up near the top but my clothes were dry. There were several instances where it was pouring down rain. Hope we don't have to do pit stops in that.

The wipers work and operating them does not contribute to water coming in so it seems our rain gutter is working. The rain-x is working well also

Water is coming into the car a little so we may need a drain hole or two if we're in driving rain for a long time.

The defrost works well.

The little side mirror is going to take some adjustment to get used to. Objects in there are a LOT closer than they appear. It'll probably be easier to judge during the day and when it's not raining.

I was able to listen to several truckers with the CB. It occurred to me I should read the owners manual.

The directionals stopped working again and you can't really use hand signals with the window net up.

You will probably have to light pedal it in 13 if the ground is wet or you will break traction on acceleration. Other than that it will be how quickly you can get around corners while avoiding the other cars. It seems like the car will be fun to drive in the rain.

Also I don't think the idle needs turned up now that I remember how to drive it.
-BP[/quote]
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

for results of their adventure at Nelson Ledges, see
Swap Meets and Car Shows
Volunteers needed for 2011 Nelson Ledges Chump Car Race

http://www.tiresmoke.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1139
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
MostMint

Wheel Hubs and Irony

Post by MostMint »

Wheel Hubs and Irony

Before the race, we made up a list of spare parts and Dave went to Autozone and bought all of them. One of those parts was a front wheel bearing/hub assembly. We heard from Gotham City Racing team that Saturns were hard on these parts. About 80 minutes into the race the left front bearing gave out and I nursed it into the pits. It took us 85 minutes but we changed the parts out and got back on track. We were concerned since we used the spare. We made some calls but were not able to locate another in stock - best I could do was 9 AM Sunday at Advance in Garrettsville. Well the replacement gave out at 1:30 AM. As it turned out Dave had bought a bearing and with help from the Ded Bull team, we got the race off the old hub and put the bearing on it. The hub was galled and the bearing was cheap and it only lasted 8 laps. So we were at Advance at 9 AM, got the part and had the car out on track by 9:45 AM. We finished the race.

If only the story ended there.

Wednesday before the race I ordered a few more parts that were not on the original spare parts list: rear hub, wheel cylinder, master cylinder, spare front pads. Tonight I went to return those parts. I was curious what the rear hub looked like so I opened the box. Turns out the rear hub I purchased was not a rear hub - instead it was a front hub assembly, which means the CAR SAT FOR 7.5 HRS WAITING FOR A PART THAT WAS WITHIN 25 FEET OF THE CAR!!!!
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

So I still need receipts and need to do all the accounting to settle everyone up from the race, but the Mostmint Racing team is not resting!

Tom has the car tonight and is starting to work on various items in preparation for our next test session on 10/24!

The main feature we want to test will be removal of the catalytic converter and the cherry bomb muffler leaving the tuner muffler at the back which will be done next weekend. We need about 7 seconds a lap to make the fastest lap times. I am estimating removal of the cat will bring 1 or 2 of those seconds.

We'd also like to get Tony in the car to get his opinion on what can be improved.

Other off season items include:
Possible spring upgrade
Possible upgrade to rear disc brakes and we'll probably find a way to adjust balance front to back.
Find a way to solve the bearing problem in the front. At minimum I've started investigating the tapered roller bearing to replace the one that gave out. The old one was a Timken and the inner race had JRM3939 or JRM3939 on it.
-BP[/quote]
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Here's my listing of costs:

Gas, $110.52
Parts, $251.15
Total: $361.67

Axle: 59.99 + 45.00 core (Andy said to keep the core, we'll repair the torn CV boot)
Hub Assembly: 51.99
Wheel Bearing: 26.99
Tie Rod: 12.99
(2) Brake Caliper Hoses: 31.38 (15.19 + 16.19)
32oz. DOT 3/4 Brake Fluid: 7.49
Parts Subtotal: 235.83
Sales Tax: 15.33 (6.5%)

-Dave

(note: edited to add brake hoses + fluid)
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Think I found our tapered double roller bearing:

http://www.kscdirect.com/item/TIM%2BJRM ... EMBLY%250A

The assembly # is JRM3939 90UB9.

I found JRM3939 on the cone (inner race). Spent a lot of time hunting around on the Timken website. Found a lot of information but nothing to prove this belonged in a 92 Saturn SC. In the knowledge center I found a cross reference of components to assemblies. There were 10 assemblies - all using the same inner race (2 of them) and cup (outer race, part # JRM3968XD), two seals and some showed the grease as a component. I can't understand why they would use the same # for the cone as the prefix for the whole assembly.

Using the component #'s from there I was able to match the component dimensions with those on the roller bearing part # below so I know I have the right part.

Seems you can't buy retail from Timken so I went looking for a retailer. Right now these are fetching $53.13 a piece plus shipping. I could not locate them on ebay.

The roller bearing replacement is part # 510024, and it's dimensions are:
bore= 39mm
OD = 69mm
width = 37mm

I tried repeatedly to cross reference that part with the JRM3939 assembly but could not locate it.
-BP[/quote]
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

I was listening to a talk by an experienced mechanic about an alleged problem with Saturn pistons. He said there is insufficient drainage from the oil ring groove so that oil accumulates there, can't escape, and caused carbon build up and stuck oil rings. Suggested solution was to drill drain holes in the pistions. You guys heard anything like that?
Maverick
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Was that on the 1.9L 4 cyl DOHC engine? They started making V6's and other size engines later on for Saturn.
-BP[/quote]
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

I'll try to find out.
Maverick
Maverick

Need a spare transmission?

Post by Maverick »

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/pts/2661972693.html

Same guy has an "good" engine (doesn't say which one) for $325.
Maverick