cheap car racing

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

MostMint

Re: cheap car racing

Post by MostMint »

That is our car. Matthew Buker was the prior owner. I thought this was helpful providing some specifics - like confirming we have a K&N and not a cheap knock off. Also the info on bushings, type of springs, weight balance. Also the 2095 lbs was before the roll cage I'm thinking.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Weighed the car the other day. With almost a full tank it weighs 2180. It's heavier than the prior owner said, mostly because of the cage weight.

Spoke with the cage fabricator and he said he could take the car in the second week of August. Should be a one day deal and around $200.

Fixed the check engine light and fan relay problem. Turns out the problem was a bad contact at the relay, no doubt caused by the wire the prior owner had put in there for his own fan override switch. I lost count of how long it took to solve this. As a bonus I wired up my own override switch so I can turn the fan on at any time from the driver seat.

I also spent time with the mirror. I think it was too close to the helmet so I made a couple brackets to allow it to move further away.
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

The fan override switch was a byproduct of the car getting hot on the freeway during my drive to work. I only spend 9 miles on the freeway, and the gauge would go up steadily until the exit ramp. I felt this was due to inadequate air flow to the radiator. The fan typically should not be needed unless idling. There is an air flow issue but up next is track day so we're off to the races.

As you guys probably know we took the car for track day on 7/22. It ran well. It was 95 degrees that day and it did not overheat. I think we got to the last white line but never to the red. Still not happy that it was getting hot.

All the guys had a chance to drive the car - though some of us did not get to run it on the race tires since the rains came at 3:45 PM.

After that it was off to Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon with the family for a week.

Been working on the car - last week got the heater working, put in new plugs and wipers. The garage was in a disaster state from the past projects so I took some time to get that back together.

Drove the car in the rain with the windows down. We will need something to keep the water out at the edge of the window opening.

Ordered all my safety gear - including a trip to Summit and a few things online. I now have proper fire retardant gloves, socks, shoes, head sock and a HANS device with the fire suit on the way.

Our cage mods needed to meet Chump rules have been performed. During this work we discovered some additional things that need done which we are getting a quote and will decide on shortly.

Went to the junkyard to get the missing ferring under the front - that directs the air to the radiator. Found there is no such thing. The real problem is the front bumper cover supports are missing and the bottom portion was sagging down and directing air away from the radiator. I put in some 1/4" rod to hold that part parallel to the ground and it appears the problem is cured. Took the chance to pick up some spare parts.
-BP[/quote]
VeeDub

Post by VeeDub »

Glad the slightly high temperature was easily fixed.
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Attached is a pic from the last track day. It's a great action shot, and it shows the front bumper cover hanging down.

After much monkey business I am now confident the cage is .095" and does not need any more work to be Chump legal. We had a team meeting last Monday and started working on logistics.

I have all my safety gear now and test fit everything.
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Bought a bunch of little things: 10 lb fire extinguisher, oil, filter, paint, valve stems for the 2nd set of rims, a new power steering pump cap, another set of driving lights (set from Harbor Freight had a bad one in it), put the clear tape on the front side markers and the brake lights.
John and Tom were here yesterday and we got some things done:
Installed camber adjusting bolts, adjusted the toe in, installed driving lights, removed window glass from both sides and gutted the doors, mounted the fire extinguisher in a better location, installed the oil breather overflow bottle.

GMJohnny, Weasel , and Fred32v provided us a working CB or two with antennas- one for the car and one for the "base".

Been busy lately cleaning up the wiring in the interior (there are a lot less wires in there than before) and installing the new eyebolts for the seat belts - that was taken care of before yesterday.

Took another 13 lbs of stuff off the car including the spare wiring and other misc I've been taking off. The window glass are 8 lbs each. I have not weighed the other door internals that were removed yet.
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

The door internals were another 16 lbs off. Total weight off car to date: 89 lbs. Of course we had to add weight like the extra bars.

Pics from the weekend:
-BP[/quote]
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Looks like a good crew you have there! 8)

Is the fire extinguisher mounted on the plastic mount that usually comes with an extinguisher? Wouldn't trust one of those to keep it in place where you might need it in a crash.
Maverick
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

The fire extinguisher bracket is metal. I don't have a good before pic but the wiring in the car is down to a single 3/4" corrugated tube in the middle so it is a lot cleaner in there.
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Matt came by last night and started on the oil cooler install. He also removed the old downpipe. The new one was delivered. I cleaned up some messes from the prior weekend and almost finished installing the grade 8 hardware for the seat/seat bracket connections. Kurt did some more work on the inside of the doors.

30 days to prepare - counting today.
-BP[/quote]
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

MostMint wrote:The fire extinguisher bracket is metal. I don't have a good before pic but the wiring in the car is down to a single 3/4" corrugated tube in the middle so it is a lot cleaner in there.

Shoulda known. :oops:
Maverick
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

No worries Maverick. :)

Tonight found a 24 hr service station that is 5 miles away from the race track: http://local.yahoo.com/info-15627304-sp ... rettsville

Also ordered some battery terminal covers for the kill switch - required on the kill switch by Chump rules.

Organizing remaining work lists
-BP[/quote]
VeeDub

Post by VeeDub »

I plan on going to the race - and bringing my work clothes! Please count me in on any pit duties you guys may have. I would like to be a part of the effort. :wink:
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

VeeDub wrote:I plan on going to the race - and bringing my work clothes! Please count me in on any pit duties you guys may have. I would like to be a part of the effort. :wink:
That is awesome! Tiresmoker tells me you have some 5 gallon gas cans we can borrow - is this correct?

We need to get you into our next planning meeting as we work out logistics. We're planning to get there around 10 AM on Friday to set up our space in the paddock area (looking for high ground). There will be canopies to set up, a trailer, a pop up camper (or better?), etc etc. Were you planning to show up Sat AM and be there for the duration?
-BP[/quote]
VeeDub

Post by VeeDub »

I talked to tiresmoker today, and I'll be coming down this Sunday for the meeting. I plan on being there for the duration of the race but for set-up... I'm not sure... I might have work stuff on that Friday.
Edit: the gas cans...Yes I have 4 or 5 - 5gallon cans I'll bring