Chevelle winter projects

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Fred32v

Chevelle's problems explained

Post by Fred32v »

Now I know why progress has slowed on the Chevelle. It's
perfectly understandable that you would rather be with Linda than the Chevelle.
However, I notice that the Chevelle has become very jealous of Linda
and is doing everything it can to maintain your attention.
Things like leaking water, putting its' choke cable under the head without
you noticing, breaking its' water pump, etc.. The only solution would be
to get the Chevelle running again and giving Linda a ride so your Chevelle
can get to know Linda a little better. Does Linda even know you have the Chevelle?
Maybe a picture of her with the Chevelle so the two can get better aquainted. :wink:
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Yeah, she's aware of it, but she knows not of its true power. I think I started it once for her when the new heads were first on (and leaking), although she seemed indifferent. She went with me on my lone trip to TRP this year when I took the Pontiac. She even claimed to enjoy it, "especially after the eliminations began," she said. We'll see what happens when (if!) I get it running and I wanna start going regularly.

-Dave
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Well, if i a picture is worth a thousand words, this should save me some typing.

http://www.tiresmoke.org/images/chevell ... tartup.wmv

It was stone cold when I started it and it obviously needs more tuning. Hard to get it over 2500 rpm right now, but I'm getting there.

More to come..

-Dave
Fred32v

One small step

Post by Fred32v »

Sounds good. And now for the numbers. :)
markss327

Post by markss327 »

I'm available for any *tuning* session. 8)
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
300hp - a bit much for FWD!
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Funny you mention that Mark -- I had an email typed out that I almost sent asking what your schedule was like the next few days. But I didn't send it because...

I drove it around a bit yesterday trying the auto-tune feature. It ended up with some really big numbers in the fuel map and just wasn't driving real well. I got home, open the hood with it idling and had less than 20psi of fuel pressure.. WTF?! I should have around 40 at idle. It has a *full* tank of gas, so there's a problem with either the pump or the regulator, I guess. This is driving me crazy.

I've done some reading around and I'm coming up with three possibilities. 1) The Holley adjustable-fuel-pressure-regulator (AFPR) has had quality issues. There's been plenty of complaints about them. 2) My pump inlet setup isn't right. I know I'm not using the "proper" filter (I do have a Fram G3), but this is the same style filter I used all last summer without problems. I replaced it this year, so I know it's not dirty or clogged. 3) A condition referred to as EFI vapor lock. The longer the engine runs, the hotter the fuel gets and the fuel can cavitate at the pump inlet easier when it's hotter. This doesn't make much sense to me -- it was a relatively cool day, I've got 15+ gallons of fuel. How hot can it be getting?? But my car does run fine with decent fuel pressure at startup and gets progressively worse. 4) Bad pump? Now I just need to decide where to start.

It starts, runs, and I can limp it around for a little while, but that's about it.

-Dave
markss327

Post by markss327 »

I'm no electric fuel pump guru, but watching - and listening your start-up video, the pump generated a lot of noise. 72 Deuce has the same problem - loud pump noise. Fuel pump, that's the route I'd pursue. I know, you've 'been there, done that'..... Do you still have a pick-up screen in the tank? Is it possible, it's collapsing?

This Thursday, 9-7-06, and Saturday, 9-16-06, I'n not avalable for tuning.
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Nope, no pick up screen in the tank. Fuel is drawn from the bottom of the sump, goes through a short section of rubber hose, into the Fram G3, into the pump, and then up to the engine.

-Dave
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

I'm just thinking out loud here -- I jacked up the fuel pressure to around 50 psi. Maybe if I lower it to 38-40 psi it won't work the pump as hard. Something easy and free to try..

-Dave
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

I went out and messed with the Chevelle for a minute today. I started it up and at while idling (cold), it had good fuel pressure, around 40 psi. As soon as I revved it up to like 2000 RPM (in park), fuel pressure dropped to like 10-15. No wonder I was having a tough time tuning it. I think that tells me my regulator is good and the pump just isn't flowing enough fuel. Fuel pressure gauges mounted right on the rail are a nice thing. A Holley 12-920 pump will be on order here shortly.

Actually, I drove down to Summit earlier today to get the pump, and when I got there they were having a huge car (truck?) show. The police that were directing traffic said you had to park at the Summit County Fairgrounds and take the free shuttle back and forth. So, I start following the signs to get to the parking -- it was like 5 MILES away!! I'm not exaggerating. I decided it wasn't worth waiting for a shuttle, another 5 mile trip back to Summit, buy my part, take a 5 mile shuttle back to my car and then go home. Sure, I would've gotten to check out the car show, but I just thought it was *ridiculous*. :x

-Dave
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

I went out and drained/dropped the fuel tank last night. UPS and Summit say my pump should be here today. Hopefully it'll be quick to pop in.

-Dave
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

The new pump is in along with a new filter, the tank is back in with a little bit of gas in it, and it primed quickly. I bought a Holley pump, but it is stamped "walbro" right on the body of the pump. This one slightly smaller in diameter (but higher capacity) and is much quieter than the previous two. By the time I got everything buttoned up, it was too late to start it, so I'll try it in the morning. I'm feeling optimistic.

-Dave
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Like a kid on Christmas morning, I hurried out to the garage today and started the car. It fired right up and the fuel pressure looked good as I revved it up. If the weather cooperates today, I'll drive it around a bit after work tonight to see if I can get the part-throttle stuff dialed in. Still feeling optimistic. :-)

-Dave
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Significant Progress!

Post by TireSmoker »

I finally got to drive the car for a little bit tonight once the rain went away. The roads were wet, so I couldn't really get on it much, but I've got a decent rough tune in the part throttle. I nailed the throttle a few times, but never for more than a couple seconds. Maybe it's just been a while since I've driven it, but I think it's gonna be pretty strong. I need to work on the off-idle transition area. It still has a stumble that needs to be tuned out.

The car is reasonably drivable -- meaning, I can get in, start it, and drive away with "reasonable confidence" that it's going to stay running and not stall out. It's not refined at all, but I'm getting there.

-Dave
markss327

Post by markss327 »

Charge the battery in the laptop, and let's go. 8)
Fri, after 8, Sat - the Nova *may* come home, so late Sat is open, anytime Sunday.....
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI