Chevelle winter projects

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Didn't get done as much as I wanted this weekend, but all that remains is the headers, exhaust, torque converter, 3 bellhousing bolts and spark plugs. Pretty much everything you need to crawl under it for...

-Dave
TireSmoker
Site Admin

CRACKED

Post by TireSmoker »

Well I finally crawled under the car tonight. After re-shimming the starter, I decided to pull the oil-drain plug before I wrestled with the headers.

Out poured water. Enough to be a serious problem.

So, the motor will come out once again. The question is, what can be done, by when, and for how much. I'll get the E-Tec heads checked at the machine shop. If they are OK, I can find another 400 block, bore it to my pistons, and throw my rotating assembly in it, and put it all back together.

The question is what to do in the short-term. I'd really like to have this thing movable under its own power ASAP. Doesn't need to run 12s. Can I throw some other motor in there and have something running in less than 30 days?

-Dave
Fred32v

Homeless 350

Post by Fred32v »

I just saw a homeless 350 (see Homeless 350 in General Discussions) on MostMint's garage floor. It would propel that Chevelle until you can bring your good motor back to life. How desparate are you? :(
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Well, I've got a line on a 400 4-bolt engine, standard bore, in Mansfield for $200. The heads are off of it, so I'll be able to see the inside easily. A quick call to Michael's Racing Engines earlier said it'd be about $600 in machine work (hot tank, freeze plugs, align bore/hone, cylinder bore/hone, and I might get this one 0-decked. Also the time to fix my 11:1 compression and bring it down a little bit.

-Dave