1996 Collector Edition Corvette

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: Basement Paul, MostMint, Fred32v, ttamrettus, wxo

wxo

Re: 1996 Collector Edition Corvette

Postby wxo » Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:16 pm

MostMint wrote:you could disconnect the line at the tank and at the fuel rail and put compressed air through it

Good idea, I'll do it. :D

Maverick

Postby Maverick » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:58 am

I started a thread on the Corvette forum and got an interesting post this morning.

Having thought about this for a second, I also recommend that you check the fuel pressure regulator. If the regulator diaphragm has failed, and the key is turned on, when the fuel pump pressurizes the rail some fuel can bypass the failed diaphragm in the FP regulator and go back through the vacuum line which is attached to it. If this happens, raw fuel can enter the intake manifold through the vacuum line and this will go to the nearest low point cylinder intake by that vacuum port. Just a thought if the injectors check out fine.

That's a third possible cause for flooded cylinders. We now have dirt in the check valve and injectors, over pressured injectors, and ruptured diaphragm in the regulator.

Update: Now back to two. WXO just checked the vacuum line to the regulator and it was dry. Diaphragm must be good.
Maverick

wxo

Postby wxo » Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:36 pm

I just got off the phone with Holley fuel systems tech support. I posed the question is there an upper pressure limit on these Accel 150826 injectors. He said there was not spec like that that he knew of. Then I asked about the flooding of fuel into a cylinder. In my case, the #6 plug was noticeably black and wet with fuel when I pulled it out. Based on this, I conclude that only one cylinder was flooded by one injector. He went on to say that if the problem was related to fuel pressure, it would have affected all the cylinders. In my case the car kept running until I shut it off. He stated that the only thing that could cause this symptom is trash in the injector or a faulty injector.
He implied that excessively high fuel pressure can cause a rich running mixture to all the injectors, but not a flooding situation on one cylinder.
For what it's worth...

Return to “Projects”