1989 Mustang GT Convertible #56

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Basement Paul

1989 Mustang GT Convertible #56

Post by Basement Paul »

Yesterday I finally took possession of a 1989 Mustang GT convertible. A friend of mine, Dave Bales, passed away a few months back at only 61. He was a car enthusiast also, and had a similar ebay business to mine with LOTS more inventory than I have. I've been working with the estate trying to buy his inventory, but I made sure to include in the deal, this white Mustang. I knew it was a real clean FLA car with lower miles, and although shows some signs of indoor storage abuse, it has good bones and is BONE stock, which really appeals to me.
It's been sitting a LONG time, but does start and run as it sits. For now, it's just going to go from one storage unit to another until I get my house garage cleaned up enough to bring it home. That's when there will be more posts about maintenance and repairs. I haven't even heard it run yet, but they took it to get inspected under it's own power. I bought a new battery for it yesterday but have not installed it yet.
Once I get it out in the light of day, I'll take better pictures.

It's an automatic with red cloth interior and has 65k miles on it.

More to come.

-BP
Attachments
GT Engine.jpg
GT rear.jpg
GT LF.jpg
wxo

Re: 1989 Mustang GT Convertible #56

Post by wxo »

And it's a convertible, too! Welcome to the club, BP. :D
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Thanks Walt. I've been wanting a convertible for a little while now. I had a black Firebird convertible awhile back but only kept it for maybe 6-8 months and sold it to Camaro Bob so I could buy my S10. This came along and it was hard to pass up.

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Today we moved it from it's old storage unit to mine. It's the first time I've seen it in the light or heard it run. Fires right up and seems to run pretty well. All the functions I messed with worked, but I didn't go crazy. We drove it about a mile with no issues. I'm hoping to be able to bring it home in the next few weeks after my home garage gets transformed into a home garage again instead of a business garage. Then I should be able to get all that I want to get accomplished over the winter in no hurry.
After the "test drive" I already know the tires are garbage and probably going to need all new shocks / struts. Initially this is going to be brought back to completely stock, then I'll worry about any mods later. I did find a cover, the red parade boot, and the lug key for the locking lugs in the trunk. The interior is REALLY nice too.
More to come.

-BP
Attachments
gt outside4.jpg
gt outside3.jpg
gt outside2.jpg
gt oustide1.jpg
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

look what else we found!
Under a mountain of cardboard
Under a mountain of cardboard
yep, a Z28
yep, a Z28
What's next?

Fun for sure!
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
TheRookie

Post by TheRookie »

Might find Jimmy Hoffa next!
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

Who needs a “Heavy Pesado”? BP has one in the box on the left!

GM
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

There's another Mustang GT convertible next to that Z28 too. It's an auto with gray leather, and I'm pretty sure it's white with a black top. Not sure of condition, but it's been protected by cardboard too.

-BP
wxo

Post by wxo »

The bigger picture here is not clear to me. Are these discoveries part of the inventory you bought? Are these really discoveries or did you know about them before your purchase?
TheRookie

Post by TheRookie »

The gift that keeps on giving. Let me know when your find that ultra rare Ferrari.
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I knew there were two cars in there, but it's taken over two weeks to get to see one of them. I climbed over the Camaro and was able to see a small part of the Mustang. It will be at least a week before we see what the next Mustang really looks like. I might buy it to sell if it's decent enough. Unless Fred wants to buy it...

-BP
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Found the other car.
Mustang Convertible
Mustang Convertible
Stable mate Camaro
Stable mate Camaro
Sadly, cars are lock, can not find the keys.
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Actually, only the Camaro is locked, and since that's not mine, I'm not concerned. The Mustang is unlocked and I'm pretty sure I have an extra set for that car at my house.

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Today #56 got a fresh synthetic oil change. I lubed all the locks and hinges, and greased the tie rods. I hooked the battery up for good, and fired it up and it ran for about 10min. I checked the rearend tag and unfortunately, but not surprisingly, it has a 2.73 gear. It is super clean underneath though.

More to come as I can muster the time to order parts and install them.

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Earlier this week I had a little time before dark to give the white Mustang it's first bath in a LONG time. It needs a real buffing out, but just a wash has helped a bunch. I'll probably get a lot of the maintenance parts I need for it this weekend, and can start picking at it.
While it was being washed I let it run for about 20min to just run some heat and more gas through it.

-BP
Attachments
IMG_20211108_172546269_HDR.jpg
IMG_20211108_172456074.jpg
IMG_20211108_172446357.jpg