1978 Lincoln Continental Coupe

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: Basement Paul, MostMint, Fred32v, ttamrettus, wxo

Fred32v

Re: 1978 Lincoln Continental Coupe

Postby Fred32v » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:06 pm

Serious fun while you had it. The Hot Rod Lincoln made for a great time at the Rock! :D
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!

Maverick

Re: 1978 Lincoln Continental Coupe

Postby Maverick » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:54 pm

Don't think the Lincoln wants to be sold. I was taking it to get it cleaned up for a car show where I was going to park it with a "For Sale" sign on it. On the way the AC wasn't cold. WXO and I worked on it and found the refrigerant gone. Scheduled an appointment at Pep Boys to have them locate the leak. Before I got out of the neighborhood it was trailing smoke. The transmission cooler line came apart and dumped fluid on the exhaust.

Think I learned why the hose was coming off the 3/8" tubing. The Gates 3/8 Transmission Cooler hose fits quite loosely on the tubing. It actually wiggles a bit on the line. And, it compresses under the clamps after just a few days allowing the hose to slip off the line even with doubled-up, tight EFI clamps.

The lines were all removed and, by BP's excellent suggestion, a small flare was put on all ends. The flaring tool also made some small ridges in the aluminum tube which adds to the grip. After a few days, the clamps were all re-tightened. No way those rascals are coming off now.

Next stop is Pep Boys to find the AC leak.
Maverick

Return to “Projects”