89 Corvette Mostmint #39

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: Basement Paul, MostMint, Fred32v, ttamrettus, wxo

MostMint

Re: 89 Corvette Mostmint #39

Postby MostMint » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:43 pm

^ I now have a place to add ballast if needed lol

Tom came over and with some thrashing we were able to get it started today. Still a ways to go before its ready to move under its own power.

Looking for engine pics I came across this so I'll just leave this here for now:

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/ ... UPE-133130

It fetched $19k.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]

MostMint

Postby MostMint » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:31 am

After getting the car started I went to work to make it actually run. I set the timing. With the electronics for timing advance connected it would start. Without it it would not. So I set the timing cranking with the starter. It worked.

The next problem was the crankcase vent hose was missing. I figured no big deal leaving it to open air it pulls in air anyway but this was totally wrong. After hooking it up the car started idling. Took a while to realize I actually had it so it could be installed.

I also noticed the cooling fan is running when the engine is running, even at cold water temps. Made attempt to resolve this by replacing the relay to no avail. ECTS resistance checks out also so not at all clear what is happening here.

The other bigger problem is the sound from inside the engine. I reasoned it might have been mal adjusted rockers arms. A quick trip to pull-a-part netted a valve cover I cut open so I could adjust while running. As I adjusted the first one and compared the sounds I knew that was not the problem. After some conversation with Fred32v I decided to finish up adjusting the other side, listen underneath, then pull the plugs, check compression and see if the sound was there with a free spinning crank.

Remarkably putting my hand on the oil pan while running I could feel the knock near the 5-6 rod journals.

Then I did a compression test. Ugh there was one at 50, two at 85, another at 130 and the others were 155 and up. This is not going to be good for a performance test. Our replacement valves helped but we must not have them seated properly. This engine has to come out.

In the meantime I started locating parts. I am going to see Tony soon as he has many of the parts I need from his engine rebuild, and I located a guy with a spare bottom end in pieces for $75 which I plan to get this weekend.

Kinda bummed the chance to get this thing on the street and/or on a track is basically done for the season.
-BP[/quote]

MostMint

Postby MostMint » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:53 am

Upon further thought going to redo compression test with oil in cylinders to isolate between valve or ring compression problem.

Deciding also maybe get a mule engine and swap over the tray and intake could get back online quickly. Would like 245 hp to get true performance test so have some learning to do about heads and cams. Like why does the TBI version in Suburban make 210 hp and the Vette makes 245hp
-BP[/quote]

Maverick

Postby Maverick » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:21 am

Probably not telling you anything you don't already know but, a leak down test will tell you if the compression leaks are intake valves, exhaust valves, rings and/or head gaskets. A simple test to nail it down without swapping parts.
Maverick

MostMint

Postby MostMint » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:33 pm

The fuel line rusted out from the inside
5E62A0E1-EDEB-4FEE-A1B8-92D0AD6AB74A.jpeg

A40A62EF-8A5B-4BE1-87C0-15518AEB681F.jpeg

Should read 1.1 something
23A77BDD-515C-4BB0-AFF0-6F3EDD6FBA9D.jpeg

parts is parts
F2400DF6-A3AF-489F-9DDB-78697B7FC5E6.jpeg

I went on a parts acquisition odyssey last weekend I now have a short block, and extra crank rods and pistons and other stuff. I am also getting another running engine and possibly a TPI intake and heads from a Camaro.

Tiresmoker suggested I run the trans through the gears before pulling the engine. I moved the rayostat off the shifter boot and now I can’t get it to start. I wondered if I moved the knob and tried to check it but the range I am getting is nowhere near the resistance I need. I tried my VATS bypass but no success yet. It resists.

At this point I have to give up on the likelihood I will get to any track and just focus on getting it running and basic street tests for now.
-BP[/quote]

MostMint

Postby MostMint » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:02 pm

I was able to get the VATS bypass to work successfully. The Vette ECU needs a 30 hz signal which required an additional ground wire to be connected.

Once again Fred32v came by. This time we put the backup engine on a stand, then were able to start the car and confirm the transmission will go through all the gears. We then proceeded to remove the wounded engine from the car. We managed to spill some oil draining the spare engine other than that this was a fairly clean job.

0BC86D19-7C1A-4346-BB78-482D8E6AD6EB.jpeg

We also got to the bottom of the oil pressure sensor leak - it appears to be an internal leak of the sensor itself my guess it trauma from prior owner rebuild attempts.
5AC5DE14-33D5-4EB1-A085-71949C85A644.jpeg

Oh and by the way the speedo was working so my earlier repairs must have been OK
-BP[/quote]

MostMint

Postby MostMint » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:34 pm

Oh so close

https://bham.craigslist.org/search/cta? ... &sort=date

Also - for reference here are some cam specs:

CAM 88-89 L98 10066049

In/Exh Dur@.050" 207'/213' Lift (w/1.5) .415"/.430" LobSep 117'

The 96 L31 truck roller cam:

Intake lift- .414"
Exhaust Lift- .428"
Intake duration @.050"- 191
Exhaust Duration @ .050" - 196
Lobe Centerline- 111

This cam goes with Vortec heads which can make power with a much less aggressive cam. The duration on this cam is just pathetic
-BP[/quote]

Return to “Projects”