MostMint Track Day @ Nelson Ledges 6/14/21

Information about upcoming races, swap meets & shows

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Fred32v

MostMint Track Day @ Nelson Ledges 6/14/21

Post by Fred32v »

The Annual MostMint Track Day @ Nelson Ledges was incredibly enjoyable and extremely entertaining.
Hard to find words to explain what a good time I had. BP and I waited a long time to get the
TrackBird back to Nelson Ledges. We've made a few changes, most notice able were the changing from 3:90 to 3:73
gears and the newer sticky tires. Rain could not dampen the party.
MostMint's drivers meeting
MostMint's drivers meeting
Brother and Sister attending
Brother and Sister attending
Big Sister on track
Big Sister on track
Big "K" trying to catch Sister
Big "K" trying to catch Sister
Rained
Rained
TrackBird running with #50
TrackBird running with #50
Starting line time
Starting line time
Finish Line 1:23 seconds later
Finish Line 1:23 seconds later
New C8
New C8
There was an early issue with the TrackBird, we were Black Flagged because it was smoking.
The power steering was pushing out a little oil which BP then put a diaper on the cap,
he also wiped everything down as best as he could noting that there is another source of oil.
Cleaning up under the hood after every session eliminated the Black Flag issue.
All-in-all, the TrackBird performed awesome all day, it ran all day being pushed like it had never been since we've had it.
For sure the TrackBird and BP are becoming MUCH better together and 32V gets to go along for the ride!
There are things that will be looked at, but no sheet metal or other serious damage done.
BP drove it home with the T-tops out.

On a personnel note, to spent the day with my sons and grandchildren is just special!

Just like TRP, Nelson Ledges is great fun!
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
MostMint

Re: MostMint Track Day @ Nelson Ledges 6/14/21

Post by MostMint »

We had like 30 cars take the track, with no blown up engines, no time lost to fetch anyone off the tire walls, only one car even touched a tire wall and as in Fred32v pic it was minor damage. Expensive maybe, but minor.

I organized this thing and got like 10 minutes on track lol. Main point was to get Rachel and Colin some time in the Saturn and we did that with great success. Kurt got to use his RE71R Potenzas to something close to their potential there. Despite the oil leak at the front of the engine his Saturn smoked less than the track bird lol. One of the participants running a 2.7 Boxster was impressed that the green Saturn could pull on him in the straights. So many people underestimate the capability of the S Series. Just keep oil in it!
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
Basement Paul

Re: MostMint Track Day @ Nelson Ledges 6/14/21

Post by Basement Paul »

It was a really fun day. The rain, if you were going to plan it, came at a pretty good time. Pretty much between sessions and just before lunch break.
That C8 Vette plunked it into the tire barrier on the first session out, but lucky for him, it was on the slowest section of the track so no serious damage.
We have a bunch of checking to do on the Trackbird before it's next outing, plus a lot of clean up to do, bit it performed admirably. I figured about 90 minutes of actual track time. It's amazing these cars can just take that abuse. And I don't think there were any actual broken cars on track either.
It took some time to build confidence in our new stickier tires, and I'm sure with more seat time, there's more time to be had. But I'm pretty sure we were at least 3 seconds a lap faster than before. I'm pretty happy that this car's lap times are competitive with the Saturn's.

Thanks to Andy for putting this on. It's a pain in the ass for sure with no reward.

-BP