TRP 09-30-2020

Information about upcoming races, swap meets & shows

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

TireSmoker
Site Admin

TRP 09-30-2020

Post by TireSmoker »

With the weather looking pretty grim, both Paul and I decided to head out to TRP tonight for the final Wednesday of the season. We left the hotrods at home and instead took the turbo dailies, his VW and my F-150. You couldn't have two more dissimilar vehicles. Euro-econo-hot-hatch vs. King of the Pickups, 1.8T vs. 3.5TT. And both vehicles in the 15.0s. We had 4 time runs, all heads up. I did best him on ET, cracking a 14.94 @ 91 on one run.

We both made it through first round. I even had a legit good run 1st round, with a .04 light, and hitting the brakes to run 15.25 on 15.00 dial. As second round was starting, mother nature made her presence known. A minutes worth of big rain drops, and Jim Curtis called the event. This is where it got fun.

Paul was in FWD class, I was in truck. There were 4 vehicles left in both classes. They were pulling cards at random in the tower for winner and runner up. (they did this for animal, stock & bike too). They called FWD first, with Paul getting the win! They called truck class next, and I ended up with runner-up!

So in the final outing of 2020, Team Tiresmoke collects two more pieces of hardware!

-Dave
Attachments
20200930_202011.jpg
Basement Paul

Re: TRP 09-30-2020

Post by Basement Paul »

I'm not sure I've ever driven to the track while it's raining (lightly) and also paid admission fee with my wipers on. But like Dave said, it was the last Wed so what the hell. I know GM had me about talked out of it, and I changed my mind in Madison and kept going. I drove the VW because the rear tires on the S10 are completely smooth at this point and I really didn't want to get stuck in the rain with those on there.

I was able to crack off a 15.006 at 92mph and now the car has a nice long tire squeal almost every pass as it builds boost in 1st gear. My previous best was a 15.22 I think when the car was near new. All I've done besides 20k miles of driving was remove the resonator. The boost does seem to come on quicker than before. Pretty much any amount of traction compound and a little cooler day will net me a 14 sec pass. I was under 1/4 tank of fuel and last minute I did pull the spare (which is pretty small and light)... If I knew how close to a 14 I was, I would have pulled all the floor mats and left my shoes at the starting line.

My first round I dialed 15.0 and cut an .03 light to his .37. He was dialed 14.9 and I had a couple car lead the whole way down the track. It was a Neon SRT4 and I knew he wouldn't catch me. I whacked the brakes at the stripe to run a 15.07 cutting about 6mph to his 14.85. He broke out and I still finished .1687 before him. Then the luck of the draw was with me.

It was a silly way to end the year and get a trophy, but like I told GM, a win is a win! My second trophy with the Golf. And I had a real good time running heads up with Dave in the One Fiddy. There were plenty of red lights.

-BP