TRP 8-5-2020

Information about upcoming races, swap meets & shows

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

TireSmoker
Site Admin

TRP 8-5-2020

Post by TireSmoker »

Forecast looking very favorable for Wednesday. I'll either bring the bike again, or the Chevelle if it's ready. Brakes felt good on last test drive, coil issue remains.

-Dave
Basement Paul

Re: TRP 8-5-2020

Post by Basement Paul »

I plan to be there too.

-BP
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Word on the street is The Accountant will be there too.

Fred, you in?

-Dave
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Sadly, I'm going to miss this Wednesday, my Jimmy is going to the hospital for a transmission transfusion Thursday AM.
The tranny should not shudder with only 16K on it?! :(
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

What about the Trackbird?? Row those gears like a real drag hero!!

-Dave
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Get ready to join the UMTR league!

United Manual Transmission Racers
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

TrackBird on the sidelines waiting for new lifters.
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

It was an uncommonly chilly evening last night which was conducive to drag racing. I'm guessing there was well over 150 cars out there. I got there later than I wanted due to a memory lapse where I forgot my helmet. Which is normally not a huge issue, but when I remembered it, I was going down a one way only Vrooman Rd and had to drive over 10 miles out of my way to get back two miles from my house. Ugh. Anyway, I was able to get two times runs, a 12.21 and 12.20. So, already better than last week.
I dialed a 12.18 for round 1. My competition was a Fox Body Mustang who admittedly hadn't been to the track in 20 years, and although his .07 light was better than my .08, he ran nearly a second off his time. So that was a gimme. But the truck spun just a bit off the line and quite a bit on the 1-2 gear change, so based on my 1/8 mile time, I dialed up to a 12.23 for round two. OOOPs. I ran a Hellcat Challenger in Rd2 and my .06 light to his .10 gave me a slight advantage, but despite hard spinning on the 1-2 shift again (good traction off the line), and me whacking the brakes at the stripe, I still broke out with a 12.16. I lost him in my blind spot before the finish line so I wasn't sure how close he was and didn't brake early enough. Oh well. Maybe next week I'll go three rounds...

We had TireSmoker, The Accountant, and Kevin who brought out the Fairlane showcar for a couple passes. Just by chance Tony and Kevin got both of their time runs together. The Fairlane with tiny street tires and a 514 inch Ford motor was a struggle to launch but he got a 13.05 I think on his 2nd pass at 108mph. It's only shifting at 4800 on it's own as the shifter linkage binds under full load. This motor should be good to 5800 safely. That car with a half decent tire and correct shifting would be easy 12.5s.

I'll let TireSmoker tell his tale, but we all made it there and back under our own power, got to hang out, and get some rubber on our quarters on a beautiful night.

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Here's a link to the what the Fairlane is all about:

https://www.summitracing.com/newsandeve ... /slideshow

-BP
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

I had a pretty terrible night, but I'm honestly just happy I got to go out for the 3rd week in a row, and finally with the Chevelle.

Car was running great everywhere, except up top. As I'd get to 6000 RPM, the RPM signal the computer would go to 0. And when RPM re-registered, the O2-correction doesn't work for 30 seconds (by design), and I was showing lean for the rest of the run. 12.93 @ 105 was pretty disappointing. But, I was just happy to be there.

I only got 2 passes, 1 time run and 1 elimination. Car launched great on the time run, 1.69 60-foot. In eliminations, I wasted an .005 RT with a terrible 2.0 60-ft with a poor performing car and on top of that, decided to hit the brakes in the traps. Note to self: when car not running its best, never hit the brakes. If I had stayed in it, I would've won. -- MOV was .043.

There was a great crowd out last night. Tony's friend Bella from college came out with her car-crazy son Ronin, who turns 14 in a couple weeks. She grew up in Ashtabula and was back visiting family, but lives out in Denver.

A great night was had by all!

-Dave